Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Requesting some advice  (Read 2201 times)

Garry OBree

• New Starter
Requesting some advice
« on: May 25, 2018, 08:18:06 AM »

I've just signed up on here and am after some advice. Am from northern Australia and for the past 30 years have had a Hohner Erica 2 row button accordion (C/F I've been told).  I play by ear, mainly for myself, but as for the bass, I just use the outer buttons with a 3/4 (waltz beat).

I can play tunes alright, but would appreciate if someone could steer me in the right direction as to how to effectively get the best use out of my left hand.

Thanks.

Garry

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Re: Requesting some advice
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 10:49:06 AM »

Hi Garry and welcome to the MADhouse!

Yours is a common situation, many players concentrate on right hand playing and then decide later that they'd like to get more use from the left hand.

There are several tutor books around. Ed Rennie has a couple of books, one concentrating on the left hand. , and others with which I'm less familiar (but expect further comments)! I mention Ed's book because it uses a tablature and does not need you to read music.
Given your situation and location, on-line sources might also be useful. Melonbox, of this parish, has a course for beginners which may be useful, there is other tutorial material on YouTube, and there is a wealth of material around.

There is a slight drawback in that most is written for either D/G or G/C boxes, but the fingering and methods will be the same. There may be others who have gone your route who could provide more specific information.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 11:03:44 AM »

.. would appreciate if someone could steer me in the right direction as to how to effectively get the best use out of my left hand.

Place a pint in it and raise it to your lips.

Seriously, though, hello Garry and welcome!

If you can get hold of John Kirkpatrick's teaching video it's great for getting started on left hand work.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 12:55:37 PM »

Garry, are you anywhere near Darwin? If so I can put you in touch with an experienced player who may be able to help.

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 07:50:18 PM »

Hi Garry
I have a C/F Erica - also a D/G.
My C/F has low notes rather than incidentals and I find I can sing to it - the D/G is too high for me.
I can't help much with the bass side, I am only just getting into that myself by the simple process of pressing buttons until something sounds right then repeating the phrase until I remember it, continue to next phrase, and so on.

However if you have learned a tune mainly right handed then you might find that you need to use different rows in order to find the right bass in the right direction to add in a twiddly bit and then when wishing to continue smoothly into what you once knew you find it has become new and strange - and there is a sudden discontinuity between brain and fingers - this is probably completely normal, but it can lead to sudden sharp expletives. Probably why I tend to have a go at new things when himself has gone to bed rather than mid afternoon.
Barcarole D/G
Hohner Ericas D/G and C/F
Hohner el Rey del Vallenato A/D/G aka 'Elvis'
Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb club layout
Meinel & Herold G C F 3 voice 3 row 16 bass

Garry OBree

• New Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 08:42:08 PM »

Thank you all for your suggestions.  Much appreciated, and will follow them up.  Stiamh, am nowhere near Darwin.  On a small farm to the west of Cairns, QLD.

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 11:22:24 AM »

g'day Garry,

Maybe using Skype for interactive video lessons with a good melodeon teacher would be worth your while.
The friendly box players at the McGinty's pub session in Cairns might be able to help too. Contact info at https://thesession.org/sessions/3956

PS If you're growing mangoes on your farm then you might tempt a southerner to give you some live-in tuition during the mango-madness season ;)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 12:38:23 PM »

Stiamh, am nowhere near Darwin.  On a small farm to the west of Cairns, QLD.

Ah. But it's a nice drive across through Mt Isa.  (:)  I did it once, in another life. Good luck and hope you find some resource or someone that will help, either virtually or in person (maybe through invasion... mangoes of Queensland... mmmm.)

Garry OBree

• New Starter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 12:35:11 AM »

Thanks Smiley,

I'll have a look at McGinty's when I get home.  Currently caravanning and at Port Lincoln SA with squeezebox on board.

Sorry, can't help with mangoes.  Retired beef cattle producer, but have sold herd and now just agist the property.

Garry

g'day Garry,

Maybe using Skype for interactive video lessons with a good melodeon teacher would be worth your while.
The friendly box players at the McGinty's pub session in Cairns might be able to help too. Contact info at https://thesession.org/sessions/3956

PS If you're growing mangoes on your farm then you might tempt a southerner to give you some live-in tuition during the mango-madness season ;)
[/quote]

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 12:55:23 AM »

Did I read mangoes ? I need some ☺️ It’s mango season here.

Welcome aboard lad...
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal