Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Issue  (Read 5705 times)

Grape Ape

Re: Air Issue
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 09:35:25 PM »

Please tell is it isn’t the blue corona you had restored??

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 09:39:07 PM »

UPDATE: I put those reed blocks in another 70's box I have and am getting the same air issue.  So I'm certain the problem is with the reed blocks, but not sure what.  Could be the reeds? 
Corona III x8

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 09:42:09 PM »

Sad to say, it is.  Everything else is great about the box, but that air noise is annoying. 
Corona III x8

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 10:38:28 PM »

Ok, I think I have narrowed it down to 3 issues, but probably all 3 are contributing. 

1.  Warped reed blocks, cant 100% confirm, but possible.
2.  The edge of the last reed block is only half there.  So the clamp cant get a good enough grip to secure it down super tight.  (see photo).
3.  The screw that clamps down the 2nd to last reed block, doesnt tighten all the way.  It goes all the way down, and keeps spinning. While that block is secured, its not absolutely tight.   So the hole where the screw goes in is probably shot? 

How can I fix issue #2?  Would buying a slightly thicker screw work for issue #3?  As for fixing a warped reedblock, thats beyond my talent.  Hoping fixing #2 and #3 can get it done. 

Corona III x8

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 10:41:05 PM »

Sad to say, it is.  Everything else is great about the box, but that air noise is annoying.

I'm afraid that if a set of reeds came back from a fettler allegedly after tuning in that state they would be going straight back …..looks like the work of a rank amateur !!! >:( >:(
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 10:54:06 PM »

Dude they didn’t use enough wax on those reeds man even with that tiny picture you posted.
My advise would be to stop using the same dude for your reed work.

Perhaps he didn’t make it clear reed work is not included or if you see lots of wax in the box perhaps it melted or got cracked?

If I was you I’d try just waxing but the reeds do seem kinda beat from here..
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 11:04:22 PM »

Ok, I think I have narrowed it down to 3 issues, but probably all 3 are contributing. 

1.  Warped reed blocks, cant 100% confirm, but possible.
2.  The edge of the last reed block is only half there.  So the clamp cant get a good enough grip to secure it down super tight.  (see photo).
3.  The screw that clamps down the 2nd to last reed block, doesnt tighten all the way.  It goes all the way down, and keeps spinning. While that block is secured, its not absolutely tight.   So the hole where the screw goes in is probably shot? 

How can I fix issue #2?  Would buying a slightly thicker screw work for issue #3?  As for fixing a warped reedblock, thats beyond my talent.  Hoping fixing #2 and #3 can get it done.

No 2 to fix this you should cut away the damaged wood and glue a fresh block of wood in place that is slightly larger. Use good quality wood glue.
No 3 to fix the screws they are not gripping you can fill the holes with wood glued in and then drill a new pilot hole of the correct size. The screws in the picture are already larger than the original screws.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 11:17:04 PM »

Seriously if you get the button of the reeds waxed up better and between the reeds you’d be getting no air sounds. That reed block picture you posted that has the metal barely touching the reedblock I can see that one having air issues if you do it in as low motion or mark the location where the holes are and then lay it on again make sure those are lining up correctly before fighting the screw that holds it down tight. I still I’m working on my own tunning table just to troubleshoot when it’s a reedblock issue or a bellows issue so far it’s helping with that and then I add wax to the ones that gimme airy sound like it’s and it’s back to normal ..
I’m not home now but I got a sample here https://youtu.be/yg4bn0uCHhU

Again stay away from the dude he’s bad news don’t trust him with your box..
I’ll put a vid together on how to wax it yourself with my play doh clay technique no need for burning wax unless you want to...

Update
Just for the giggles and if you want to go the extra mile I put another cheap fix and insulating in case your box still leaks from the gaskets or even strap holders holes etc: https://youtu.be/Bq5GwMAIQaA
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 04:17:03 PM by MarioP »
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2018, 05:59:27 PM »

UPDATE:   I managed to fix the hole, and the chipped away wood part.  Still has an air leak.  100% sure the issue is with the reeds or reed block itself, but having a hard time narrowing it down. 

To confirm my suspicions I put another set of reedblocks in the problem accordion, and 0 air leak.  So for 100% sure that the issue is reeds/reedblock.

Any ideas?  Just warped blocks and light on the wax?  Any other possibilities? 
Corona III x8

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2018, 06:27:35 PM »

For clarity, is the air noise present all the time that the reed is sounding, or until it sounds?

Secondly, from a rather blown up extract of the photo, one reed appears to have a corner missing. Is that just a trick of teh light?
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2018, 06:31:30 PM »

My opinion - all the reeds need to be taken off the blocks, all the horrible old wax removed from the reeds and the blocks,  then the reeds can be properly fitted to the blocks. Anything less is a temporary fix.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2018, 06:42:54 PM »

For clarity, is the air noise present all the time that the reed is sounding, or until it sounds?

Secondly, from a rather blown up extract of the photo, one reed appears to have a corner missing. Is that just a trick of teh light?

The air sounds while playing the note, almost like background noise.  But very audible.  I'm not sure if the reed is missing a corner, i'll have to open her up again.
Corona III x8

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2018, 06:45:02 PM »

Here is missing reed wax I found.  This is on the first button plate.

Corona III x8

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2018, 06:48:16 PM »

Here is missing reed wax I found.  This is on the first button plate.

The valve is shot as well.

I'm with Theo, take the reeds off the blocks, clean up the reeds and blocks, revalve where needed, rewax with more care, and I expect most of the problems will disappear.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2018, 07:03:01 PM »

And clean the rust off the reeds too, though that will mean you need to retune as well.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2018, 07:50:58 PM »

In a previous post Vallenato said that the box was being "Fine Tuned"  I would think rather than try to fix it himself he should take the matter up with the person who did the "Fine Tuning" the workmanship is clearly not of the standard one would expect of a reliable fettler, and although final sound is something of a personal taste, the sound clip he posted did not sound very attractive (at least to my ears). however good the cabinet work is, the whole job seems to have been let down by unsatisfactory reedwork.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

invadm

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »

if you still cant fix the problem after all, I have 2 full sets of corona II wooden block- empty no reeds- I'll send you set.
I also have a gcf blocks with reeds on them but mostly mixed up- might be a good sours for spare reeds for some one...you see mel net is a good network anything is possible :||:

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2018, 11:37:40 PM »

Dude I see glue being used also instead of wax on those close ups of the gaps you found which is obvious that’s where the leaks are coming from I agree with the above comments to redo the whole thing BUat if short in time filling the gaps would make those air noises go away as other commented already the craftsmanship isn’t all there but the rush on this job is all there...

*update* heavy on the reeds wax :D

coil technique sample: (If you ain't shareing your technique you can't comment :D)
http://anyitsolution.com/preciosareeds.jpg
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 03:53:54 PM by MarioP »

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2018, 05:14:14 PM »

In a previous post Vallenato said that the box was being "Fine Tuned"  I would think rather than try to fix it himself he should take the matter up with the person who did the "Fine Tuning" the workmanship is clearly not of the standard one would expect of a reliable fettler, and although final sound is something of a personal taste, the sound clip he posted did not sound very attractive (at least to my ears). however good the cabinet work is, the whole job seems to have been let down by unsatisfactory reedwork.

The tuning is MMH on this set of reeds, C#F#B.  I opened up a Paypal dispute.  I told the seller that I'd take the box and have an estimate on what it costs to fix it, and he'll have to refund that amount.  But I'm guessing to rewax and fix the valves is going to be pricey?  Any clue on how much, rough estimate?  If its too much, I'm just going to have to send the box back.  Such a PITA, sending it from USA to South America. 
Corona III x8

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2018, 05:15:40 PM »

Thank you all for your feedback and help!  A great community! 
Corona III x8
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal