Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Issue  (Read 5691 times)

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
Air Issue
« on: May 31, 2018, 12:22:13 AM »

I'm having some air issues on a box I recently acquired.   The bellows are very tight, that is not the problem.  The problem I'm having is when I press certains buttons the notes play along with an annoying air sound.  This is on a Hohner Corona III.  The problem occurs mostly with the inner row, mainly buttons 4 to 10, pressing in and out.  But all rows you can hear it very slightly, but much more noticeable with the inner row.  Any ideas on what it can be?
Corona III x8

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
Re: Air Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 06:41:33 AM »

Reed block not properly seated/ sealed, or warped.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 06:50:25 AM »

Being something of a natural pessimist, I thought of the fondo/soundboard/whatever not being properly flat. Hopefully it is just the block not seated correctly, though.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »

If it's warped reedblocks (as it was on my Club II) it's a fairly easy fix. If it's a gasket it's a breeze. If it's a warped soundboard you're in for some work.....    Best of luck!

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 09:36:49 AM »

If it is a warped fondo I have some suggestions.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

diatonix

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 01:58:52 PM »

Maybe it's just a reed block holder/screw which needs tightening.

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 02:26:24 PM »

What is a fondo?  And what is a soundboard exactly?  I checked the reedblocks, and they all seem tightly secured, down.  Havent checked if they're warped.
Corona III x8

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 02:32:12 PM »

Two names for the same thing— the board that the reed blocks are attached to,  and on the other side the pallets.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 02:33:42 PM »

Two names for the same thing— the board that the reed blocks are attached to,  and on the other side the pallets.

Ok got it.  So first thing to do is remove all reedblocks and lay them on a flat surface to check if they're warped? 
Corona III x8

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 02:51:07 PM »

This first one that corresponds to the inner row seems to be flat.  (3 missing reeds dude to the type of tuning)

Corona III x8

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 03:00:57 PM »

Ouch!  those reeds look as if they have had a hard life!

It's not clear from the photo but I think I can see a gap under that block.  Also a table top may not be a sufficiently accurate flat surface.  If the block is correctly fitted in the instrument you can check for a gap with a strip of paper.   Take a strip of paper 10 to 20mm wide.  Take out all of the treble reed blocks.  Lay the paper across the place where the reed block will fit so it is at right angles to the length of the block.  Put one block in place on top of the paper and fasten the clamping screw.  If you can pull the paper out you have a gap and air will leak.  Do the same thing for each reed block.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 03:23:55 PM »

It's not clear from the photo but I think I can see a gap under that block.  Also a table top may not be a sufficiently accurate flat surface.  If the block is correctly fitted in the instrument you can check for a gap with a strip of paper.   Take a strip of paper 10 to 20mm wide.  Take out all of the treble reed blocks.  Lay the paper across the place where the reed block will fit so it is at right angles to the length of the block.  Put one block in place on top of the paper and fasten the clamping screw.  If you can pull the paper out you have a gap and air will leak.  Do the same thing for each reed block.

I'll try that when I get back from work.  The more I played it, it seems the notes that have missing reed plates is the cause.  The holes underneath those missing plates must have a tiny whole where air gets through? 
Corona III x8

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 03:29:53 PM »

Whats the fix for a warped reedblock?   That could very well be the issue.
Corona III x8

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 03:33:05 PM »

"The holes underneath those missing plates must have a tiny whole where air gets through? "

But the pallets on the other side of the hole in the fondo should stop that.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 04:21:06 PM »

"The holes underneath those missing plates must have a tiny whole where air gets through? "

But the pallets on the other side of the hole in the fondo should stop that.

Not if that particular pallet is being played.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 04:24:34 PM »

Oh dear that reed block is a real mess! It looks like a rebuild is needed ie missing reeds replaced, re-valve, re-wax, gaps set and blocks repaired as needed.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 04:56:54 PM »

Aaaah! That would be supposing that the other blocks still have the reeds in them? I didn't reckon on that, Mr Wesson.

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 05:39:47 PM »

I'm quite upset at the condition of the reed blocks.  The reeds itself sound beautiful.  The tuning was done great.  But the job on the blocks looks a bit messy  >:(
Corona III x8

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »

Whats the fix for a warped reedblock?   That could very well be the issue.

There's more than one way to skin a rabbit, but my fix was as follows:  clean off all traces of old gaskets etc; I then glued a shim of lime (aka linden/basswood) on to the base of the reedblock. When completely dry I  brought the base of the block back to its original thickness using a belt sander. I used a scalpel to open out the holes that had been covered by the wood shim.  A final clean-up with very fine abrasive paper and a soft brush, a new gasket (suitable material available from Charlie Marshall), and Bob's your father's brother.  OK, I have the advantage of some woodworking machinery and a supply of well-seasoned lime, but the job could be done more slowly but equally well with simple hand tools and a piece of reasonably thick glass with abrasive paper stuck on to it to level the shimmed block.  You could use very thin ply (try your local model shops, who will generally stock plywood down to 0.6mm) for the shim.

Hope this helps

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 09:18:38 PM »

Just tried this with the most inner block.  The paper was tight, however I was able to slide it out, but took some effort, didnt slide out easy.  Took 2 good tugs. 
Corona III x8
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal