Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Issue  (Read 5693 times)

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
Re: Air Issue
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2018, 05:30:03 PM »

Also, would it be ok to share this thread with Paypal so they can see that the problem is indeed major?  As I'm sure the representatives at Paypal are not experts with accordions. 
Corona III x8

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2018, 05:36:10 PM »

For clarity, is the air noise present all the time that the reed is sounding, or until it sounds?

Secondly, from a rather blown up extract of the photo, one reed appears to have a corner missing. Is that just a trick of teh light?

I'm playing it now to analyze the issue.  On certain buttons, the sound of air sounds first then the note, air before note maybe a few milliseconds prior. 
Corona III x8

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2018, 06:04:02 PM »

Looking at the pics I would say that a lot of the problem is reed gapping (the space between the plate and the red tip), and also some rough tuning work possibly taking a bit too much off the tips of the reeds leaving places where the air can get by.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2018, 07:43:44 PM »

coil technique sample: (If you ain't shareing your technique you can't comment :D)
http://anyitsolution.com/preciosareeds.jpg

That's just too much wax, and messily applied - just softened and finger-pushed into place, judging by some of the fingerprints visible.
(a) it doesn't look as if all the wax is air-tight anyway; I can see a few gaps along the long edges of some of the reed plates.
(b) you are creating future problems for yourself, if and when you need to remove individual reed plates e.g. for replacing valves. I can foresee the wax 'ropes' coming loose on neighbouring reed plates.
(c) the excessive wax above the level of the reed plates will make it difficult to use reed tuning tools (e.g. files and reed lifters/steadys) without getting them messed up in the wax.
(d) it looks as if a few of the valves are curled and need replacing anyway.
 :(
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2018, 07:55:32 PM »

The tuning is MMH on this set of reeds, C#F#B.  I opened up a Paypal dispute.  I told the seller that I'd take the box and have an estimate on what it costs to fix it, and he'll have to refund that amount.  But I'm guessing to rewax and fix the valves is going to be pricey?  Any clue on how much, rough estimate?  If its too much, I'm just going to have to send the box back.  Such a PITA, sending it from USA to South America.

Having seen the state of the reeds and the reed blocks, my feeling would be to cut your losses and abandon them completely. The photos show that quite a few of the existing reeds are in poor or damaged condition.

At the very least, buy new reeds and if you don't feel able to do the work yourself, get someone in the USA to fit and tune them properly. You've made such a splendid job on the casework and action, it seems a real shame to carry on trying to use such bad reeds and reed blocks.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2018, 09:17:48 PM »

coil technique sample: (If you ain't shareing your technique you can't comment :D)

That's just too much wax, and messily applied - just softened and finger-pushed into place, judging by some of the fingerprints visible.
(a) it doesn't look as if all the wax is air-tight anyway; I can see a few gaps along the long edges of some of the reed plates.
(b) you are creating future problems for yourself, if and when you need to remove individual reed plates e.g. for replacing valves. I can foresee the wax 'ropes' coming loose on neighbouring reed plates.
(c) the excessive wax above the level of the reed plates will make it difficult to use reed tuning tools (e.g. files and reed lifters/steadys) without getting them messed up in the wax.
(d) it looks as if a few of the valves are curled and need replacing anyway.
 :(

Thanks for the heads up the reeds came in loose so that’s just to hold them while I place them in the right place to hear how bad they were they’re not totally bad for a 30s instrument. I am already looking at some reed valves but didn’t want to take over this post so I’ll stop here ... and I already pm vallenato as well ...
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2018, 02:24:33 PM »

Update:  I received a partial refund for the box.  Not quite the amount I wanted, but pretty close.  I went for the partial refund instead of returning the whole box.  The shipping from USA to South America would have been a headache,not the price, but ensuring that the box makes its final destination which is a bit rural. 

When time permits I'm going to get the blocks rewaxed and serviced.  Thank you all for the help! 
Corona III x8

diatonix

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2018, 02:45:46 PM »

I wouldn't call it "technique".
"Vandalism" is a better description.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 02:50:51 PM by diatonix »

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2018, 11:09:30 AM »

Diatonix  :||: not all of us have been blessed as you my friend  >:E

Vallenato try to enjoy it buddy and consult Juan Carlos “El Aleman” perhaps he feels pity for us way outside of the land that lives and breaths acordeón day and night but still stay true to our roots ..
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal