Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording gadget for sessions and workshops  (Read 5678 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Recording gadget for sessions and workshops
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 02:04:58 PM »

Other useful features of the Zoom H2 are (no idea if these are rare or common to most recorders, never looked to see what my others do):

1. It continuously records when sat waiting for you to  actually go in to record and includes a a pre-record (length defined in parameters), when it saves the recording, so you don't miss the beginning.

2. It does something similar in auto record mode  so that it only records when you are making a loud enough noise (i.e., playing), but you don't miss the start of playing.

So, in a session, you don't have to have it recording continuously, just when people are playing.
If your recording yourself at home it automatically gives you separate takes.

These features work very well, but need care in setting up trigger levels.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 02:38:29 PM »

Am surprised at the point about asking permissions and 'official recordings'
Over here it is just a free for all most of the time

The OP did mention workshops too, where it would at least be polite to ask if it's OK to record.

1. It continuously records when sat waiting for you to  actually go in to record and includes a a pre-record (length defined in parameters), when it saves the recording, so you don't miss the beginning.

2. It does something similar in auto record mode  so that it only records when you are making a loud enough noise (i.e., playing), but you don't miss the start of playing.
A useful feature, and I'm sure supported by more than just the Zoom. Probably a good idea to include in one's tick list when shopping around.

Though in a typical session, I'd be surprised if you could find  a reliable trigger threshold between background noise and tunes.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 02:45:29 PM »

ah yes indeed, always polite to ask in workshops.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2018, 09:47:38 AM »

I use my digital recorder for band rehearsals and TOTM recording. It's an Olympus LS10 which has been long superceded by more up to date versions. It has a metal casing and is nice and sturdy. I'd like to replace it sometime with a version which facilitates multi tracking so I can add guitar or second box to my melodeon recordings. The Olympus is the only make I've used. I was slightly put off Zoom products by a guitar multi effects pedal I once owned and didn't like.

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2018, 11:58:57 AM »

I have used a Zoom H2 But... Be careful if you try to record a very long session. Each recording is a single file.

My ancient Edirol has a neat feature to deal with this problem - press the Repeat button while recording (which normally does something else) and it starts a new file (saving the current one, of course).
If I had known that I might have gone for the Edirol rather than the Zoom. One thing about the H2 for home recording is that it has very good microphone pre-amps on board. These seem to be noise free at any gain setting unlike the pre-amps in the Zoom R16 multi track recorder which become very noisy when trying to record from a dynamic mic if you have to turn the gain up a bit.

Personally, if I'm in a session and need to take away an aide memoire I find a mobile phone does an adequate, discreet job. Horses for courses.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 02:31:44 PM »

Tru, meant to say "workshop" rather than session.  What they mostly have is a titled, leader led "session" with a specific purpose/goal/theme, so I always figure, best to ask first....
What comes to mind as a time when, responding to the OP, the recorder might be handy, is when, happens often, you find a player who offers to show you how to play something/do something one-on-one and you might want to record that. 
>>>On the original topic:  is there a mic that's mini-USB or lightning or whatever that's small enought to be practical?   Seems like the average decent smart phone probably already has the electronics and memory of one the little portable recorders.  Must be "an app for that"?
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2018, 02:55:34 PM »

I have a Zoom H6 which is a nice piece of kit  (:) When in a situation where I am unsure of time of recording and access to mains power I use an external battery pack like this which easily outshines the 4 duracell I can put in the unit. This way I am reasonably portable and should the battery pack fail it will drop to internal battery. Little bit more to lug around but worth it. I strap it to the tripod with a velcro strap. It also powers my 360 camera so I do not get heat build up in the unit from the internal battery which shuts the unit down  >:(
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2018, 03:13:31 PM »

Jesse, I cannot remember (in my dimness) but you might email Stuart re: recording policy. 
I vaguely remember that they have "official" recordings and in one or two sessions I was in, people did not like recorders.  Not as a rule, as I remember. 

The attendee information page suggests bringing a recorder with the advice to always ask first. The concert in the evening does have an official recording with better equipment, so I wouldn't bother to make my own recordings of that. I'm also interested in getting better sound on my own video recordings for Tune of the Month etc.

I think I'm settling on the H2n. I like the idea of grabbing the five seconds before you pushed record, and it offers a few other microphone configurations than the H1n that might be useful.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2018, 06:17:38 PM »

On the original topic:  is there a mic that's mini-USB or lightning or whatever that's small enought to be practical?   Seems like the average decent smart phone probably already has the electronics and memory of one the little portable recorders.  Must be "an app for that"?

You mean a USB mic to plug into a phone?
You'd need a phone that has USB OTG (On The Go) capability, which not all do. An OTG adaptor cable will present a normal full size USB socket into which you can plug any USB mic designed for desktop/laptop computers. But the phone must also have USB software support for audio devices via OTG... Also a USB mic might have a built in phantom power supply that drains a lot of current from the phone, so the phone battery could go flat sooner than you'd like.

See This Guardian Article by Jack Schofield for discussion of a similar topic. He points out that some phones have a separate mic and better electronics for recording, which would be of better quality  than the phone speech mic and make the benefit of an external mic marginal.

Steve C.

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2018, 12:54:50 PM »

Thanks for great reference Anahata.  Interesting.  Would this work:
K Multimedia iRig Mic Cast
They are US$35. 
Is there iOS already on an iphone that would run it?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2018, 01:05:08 PM »

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Steve C.

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2018, 02:33:19 PM »

Also, I looked at their site, they include an "i rig recorder" app that appears relatively sophisticated...

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2018, 02:44:30 PM »

Would this work:
K Multimedia iRig Mic Cast
They are US$35. 
Is there iOS already on an iphone that would run it?

It says it works with IOS or Android, so presumably yes.

Note it's not a USB mic, which is what you were asking about. It looks like it plugs into the headphone socket. I guess phone headphone sockets can support a headset mic somehow*, and that's the functionality that this thing uses.

* I thought the extra ring on the jack was for a remote control, but maybe there's some clever way of making it double as a mic connection as well

Steve C.

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2018, 06:31:03 PM »

I was just looking at the H1.  US$100.  Runs for 10 hours. All kinds of settings and controls.  Easily replaceable battery.  Stereo.  Very nice.  Etc. Etc. 

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2018, 06:57:24 PM »

* I thought the extra ring on the jack was for a remote control, but maybe there's some clever way of making it double as a mic connection as well

I think it may indeed be both! There's some info here with a guy modding a remote to work differently. However, I've used a Tip/Ring/Ring/Sleeve cable to a 2xTip/Ring/Sleeve splitter thing that is marketed as a headset adapter with my phone, so I can use an external mic while recording video (I think we talked about this in another thread a while ago actually). It works, but I've had clipping problems, and also sometimes while setting it up it decides to take pictures on its own because it also somehow triggers one of the remote control button functions. That will probably vary from mic to mic/phone to phone though.

I actually just realised, I have a USB OTG cable now from like a snake camera thing that we bought. So, I could try out the H2n via that route this time around. Not that there's really any reason to, but, well, you know!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2018, 07:26:25 AM »

Personally, if I'm in a session and need to take away an aide memoire I find a mobile phone does an adequate, discreet job. Horses for courses.

Ditto. Discrete and it does the job. I tried a Zoom, but battery life was awful. Gave it to a daughter and tried an Olympus. That was frankly "great" but someone spilt beer on a table at Bromsgrove … it never worked again 😕

These thing ain't cheap and the phone apps are more or less free. Mainly I use recording as an aide memoire for tunes, so quality is not critical to me. Presently using Recorder+ on IoS devices
  _       _    _      _ 

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2018, 07:31:57 AM »

Hi Chris, nice to hear from you again.
I think it was your past recommendation that I went for the Olympus.
As said, really pleased with mine, if for any reason anyone's seeking an alternative to a Zoom.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2018, 01:21:38 PM »

No experience of Zoom. I've been using an Edirol for over a decade and like it. More discreet-looking than some models with their in-yer-face mikes. Its replacement looks good - esp. for the smartphone generation.

Reviving this old thread because I have just acquired a replacement for my trusty Edirol (still working fine, now officially handed over to my daughter). For some reason these Roland pocket recorders seem to be much more popular with trad musicians over here than all the Zooms that seem to find favour in Europe.

I decided that the newest Roland linked to in the above quote had a few too many wireless bells and whistles for me so I looked around for an R-05, which has just been discontinued. (Deciding to get a piece of electronic equipment after a long process of deliberation, only to find it is no longer available, seems to be the story of my recent life!) Found one in new condition for $100 less than the price of the latest model. It has all the functions of the Edirol, including the handy split-the-file-while-recording feature, plus a lot more new ones. The controls are much more intelligently placed and access to the battery compartment and SD-card slot much improved.

I went for another Roland not just because I am familiar with the menu structure and file system but because I like the discreet look of the thing, particularly the microphones. The sticky-out angled mikes on other makers' offerings are just too in-your-face to stick on the table at a session, for me anyway. So, if you see a second-hand or as-new R-05, grabbing it would be a good idea in my opinion. And if you want to control the recorder remotely from your phone, then the newest model ought to be good.  :|glug
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal