Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for June 2018: May Reel  (Read 14918 times)

Eshed

• Respected Sage
Re: Tune of the Month for June 2018: May Reel
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2018, 07:11:13 AM »

I got a thumbs down as well on last month's tune, maybe because I played it like a hornpipe instead of a polka. I guess we have some musical purists here (or at least wandering around YouTube)! ::)
Hmm, till now I convinced myself that the thumbs down I got last month was a random mistouch on someone's phone.
So yes,  we have a grumpy serial down-thumber or two in our midst that lack the minimum decency to give better criticism. :D
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2018, 08:41:57 AM »

Wow, two thumbs down! That's not good. I would appreciate some constructive criticism.  :-\

Heh heh, mine too! I think it's fair to say we have a serial downvoter in town :-)

Nicely played though Bob - your videos are always fun and full of creativity.

Thoon

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2018, 09:53:39 AM »

That's not fair. I want my thumb down too!...  ;D

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2018, 10:11:32 AM »

You can have mine!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thoon

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2018, 10:15:03 AM »

Please!  :D

boblsturm

• Good talker
    • High Noon, GMT
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2018, 10:22:00 AM »

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Though I started playing melodeon 9 years ago, it wasn't until the beginning of this year that I started lessons. I have been working principally on musicality, and to bring more of "me" to my playing; but technique is also a focus (in playing and practice). I have sooooo much more to learn!! What fun.

In this case, I was aiming for the rubato, and dramatic differences in dynamics and some clashing chords, but I admit it may be too much. The timing of the B section sounds more of a 3+3+2 than a 4+4 (maybe something in the dance that accompanies?), so I decided to make the bass reflect that. I will work more on the tune, and make sure I can play it with a straight face (when playing with others :)
Bob L. Sturm, Associate Professor, and student of the melodeon

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2018, 12:36:24 PM »

I've not only had thumbs down but suffered someone who jumped on any youtube post as soon as it went live in order to express his dislike as a personal vendetta. That's what I don't get-if you know that you won't like it why go there at all? He's gone now. I look forward to next month's tune.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

arty

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2018, 12:55:22 PM »

Well, at least you were noticed....the worst thing of all is to be totally ignored!  ;D
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2018, 02:36:38 PM »

I think I'd rather have the thumbs down clicker post a message explaining why and (to some extent) identifying themselves. Otherwise I worry about who it was and what was wrong.

I've also had comments on several videos pointedly telling me that the tune I played was Irish, when it definitely had no exclusive claim to be so. And another asserting that The Bluebell Polka is "actually The Flop Eared Mule" as if I'd given it the wrong name. OK, there are some similarities, and I was able to follow up with some reference material from tunearch.org, including the composer's name, from which it certainly wasn't clear which tune came first.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2018, 03:25:48 PM »

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Though I started playing melodeon 9 years ago, it wasn't until the beginning of this year that I started lessons. I have been working principally on musicality, and to bring more of "me" to my playing; but technique is also a focus (in playing and practice). I have sooooo much more to learn!! What fun.

In this case, I was aiming for the rubato, and dramatic differences in dynamics and some clashing chords, but I admit it may be too much. The timing of the B section sounds more of a 3+3+2 than a 4+4 (maybe something in the dance that accompanies?), so I decided to make the bass reflect that. I will work more on the tune, and make sure I can play it with a straight face (when playing with others :)

Bob...

I think there are as many different approaches as there are players, all of them valid in one way or another.  Interest/intent may range from fascination with the instrument and the mechanics involved all the way to making the instrument your primary voice.  There may be strange variations, but on a personal level there are no "wrong" notes.  Objective assessment is possible, but the thumbs up/down stuff is usually based on subjective preference.

Opinions are like arses.  Everybody's got one.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2018, 03:35:13 PM »

Oh wow, that were some interesting posts to read through. I completely forgot to get my freshly made coffee out of the kitchen and away from the coffeemachine before it starts its self-regulated turn-off procedure including a short cleaning. Luckily I remembered the fresh coffee though and was able to get it without cleaning water in it but instead could fill it up with a bit of fresh milk as I normally prefer it.

Ok now back to topic, although my wise words will most likely provide you with relatively little consolation: Youtube is a shitshow when it comes to likes and dislikes.

Part of the dislikes can be explained by people misclicking and people who actually dislike your videos, but you have to keep in mind that almost all of those people will also comment on your video if they really dislike anything about it. Most people on youtube are individualistic in their approach to life and they like their voices to be heard, be it for positive feedback ("i like your style, what kind of melodeon is this?") or simply to vent after a hard day at work ("andy cutting plays this way better and btw every costalotti is a shite instrument"). Just don't take the negative feedback you receive for full and filter out the things that don't contribute to a good discussion of the tune, instrument or playing.

And another part is something we normally don't see or experience at all: bots. These are automatic programs that simply skim through newly uploaded videos and downvote everything on their way. There is a system behind this which I personally don't really understand, but if your video is listed publicly, you have a relatively high chance of getting hit by one or two of those generic/automated dislikes. This happens on other sites too (reddit is one perfect example for this) and in bigger scopes as well (ever wondered why there are so many dislikes on bigger youtube channels within the first hours of a newly uploaded video? that's most likely why).

Long story short (or as the internet says it nowadays "tl;dr"): apart from misclicks and bots, there are actually very few people who genuinely dislike your creative uploads. Don't take it too much to heart and focus on the constructive criticism and positive reinforcements you experience.

Stay strong and have a nice day!  :||:

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2018, 03:36:29 PM »

Ok, that's another way to put it. :D

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2018, 03:40:26 PM »

Hmm, till now I convinced myself that the thumbs down I got last month was a random mistouch on someone's phone.

I don't discount this possibility entirely. It seems like it'd be relatively easy to bump the wrong spot and not even realize.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2018, 04:40:15 PM »

Ok, that's another way to put it. :D

YouTube:  the "Open Mic" of the nintershnet.
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2018, 04:45:12 PM »

I think I'd rather have the thumbs down clicker post a message explaining why and (to some extent) identifying themselves. Otherwise I worry about who it was and what was wrong.

I've also had comments on several videos pointedly telling me that the tune I played was Irish, when it definitely had no exclusive claim to be so. And another asserting that The Bluebell Polka is actually a bit like"The Flop Eared Mule" as if I'd given it the wrong name.

Edited (his comment, not yours) to reflect reality.  In Northern Wisconsin the tune is known as the "Ripsaw Bucksaw Schottische".  Logging territory.

it certainly wasn't clear which tune came first.

Chicken/egg...

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 04:51:59 PM by Dick Rees »
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2018, 10:57:40 PM »

Thanks all, and indeed Mr Random Thumb Clicker - time for the next tune! Please stick any late contributions on the end here as usual...

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2018, 08:39:56 AM »

There is an upside to the Phantom Thumbs Downer. From now 'till forever no one needs to take any thumbs downs as real. They're just some bot having a go a the world.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal