Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for June 2018: Everest Tunes  (Read 11564 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Theme of the Month for June 2018: Everest Tunes
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 12:42:38 PM »

Everything I can think of in that category has been done for a Melnet ToTM so would only be a re-posting.

It might be informative to the more timid among us to know just which ones these were.

The one I sweated blood over for a long time is Rosamond's Pond
Not only working out how to play the bass line modified as little as possible from the printed original, but then finding a harmony line for 3rd time through which (a) fitted musically, and (b) worked with the same bass line, and then learning to play it. As has been pointed out before, it was so new that we were still reading from the dots on that video. But unlike the others mentioned below, it's now in regular performing repertoire.

Close runners-up  are Feed The Birds and The Abbess, both for having to learn to play in a different style that is not my usual kind of music, and The Liberty Bell for obvious reasons, once you get past the second strain and into 'fools rush in' territory.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Grape Ape

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 01:37:49 PM »

Your playing on the Liberty Bell is as fine an example of playing as I have ever heard.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 05:01:58 PM »

I have no problem identifying my Everest song. It's the one that brought me to this site. The Abbess. However, when I came to play it I found I couldn't remember how to. Now I'm going to have to climb this mountain again.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 10:51:35 PM »

So pleased that I'm not alone with struggling with The Abbess, though I haven't looked at it in a couple of years. It looks straightforward, so I just assumed that is was me.
Maybe I'll have another go.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Pierre-Emmanuel

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 01:03:00 AM »

Here's one of my "Everest tunes", a Renaissance song called "Tourdion" or "Quand je bois du vin clairet". After transcribing it a few months ago, I abandoned it, thinking I wouldn't be able to make it sound good. But a few changes to my arrangement made a huge difference. The natural reverb in my empty garage also helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srn3sTmdJf4

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 08:53:17 PM »

So pleased that I'm not alone with struggling with The Abbess, though I haven't looked at it in a couple of years. It looks straightforward, so I just assumed that is was me.
Maybe I'll have another go.

The problem isn't playing the notes. It's playing them so they sound right to you. Especially the basses. It was my party piece for two years. Now it's vanished..
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 09:13:31 PM »

Close runners-up  are Feed The Birds ...

I have also found Feed the Birds to be devilish.

I have a number of tunes in this category. I consider them bêtes noires. The one that most haunts me is Plante a Chou, a fairly bog norme scottish. I once recorded a version for the blog and then deleted the post because it was just too wartful.

I got it somewhat under my fingers now -- though I can't remember ever playing it without error. I will post tomorrow.

Gary
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 08:39:23 AM »

Stoney Steps Hornpipe (like Chris!)

This one has taken me several weeks to get to this slow(ish) and steady stage.

https://youtu.be/_GvVIsEn6wQ

Les
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 12:05:44 PM »

... I abandoned it, thinking I wouldn't be able to make it sound good. But a few changes to my arrangement made a huge difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srn3sTmdJf4

Yes. Break through moments sometimes have little triggers like this, other times you just have to keep banging your head against it. Often the first method gives a better result.
Greg Smith

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 08:47:45 PM »

I have climbed Hay Tor and danced at the top.
I then sat a while and it came to me......

With the wind in the right direction ( mostly ) here is my Everest ( Hay Tor ) tune.
'11 St Martins Street' by Nigel Chippendale.
Nigel was a writer of excellent if not finger knotting tunes that somehow take me on a guided tour around the melodeon in the process of playing it. His tunes make me smile......

https://soundcloud.com/thrupenny-bit/11-st-martins-street

cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 09:45:44 PM »

I have climbed Hay Tor and danced at the top.
I then sat a while and it came to me......

With the wind in the right direction ( mostly ) here is my Everest ( Hay Tor ) tune.
Nigel was a writer of excellent if not finger knotting tunes that somehow take me on a guided tour around the melodeon in the process of playing it. His tunes make me smile......

https://soundcloud.com/thrupenny-bit/11-st-martins-street

cheers
Q

Oooooh this is just awesome. Thanks for sharing. Really a deep tune with a lot of interesting twists and turns.

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 09:47:20 PM »

cheers
Q

;D   :||: and that tune is definitely a finger knotter, listening to your playing while looking at the dots in my old copy of Chippindale's Cheery Chunes was lovely  ;D
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 09:55:10 PM »

Thanks Fred and Ann, yep a classic Chippendale finger knotter......
Glad it hit the spot, especially as the wind kept blowing me sideways ;)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 03:42:04 PM »

A convoluted ascent. Becky Hamilton, studying music for film asked Rob and Lesley Neale and me to play and record parts of a score which she had written for a short film as a part of her course. My part was the guitar and Rob and Lesley were playing concertina, recorder and percussion. This is one of the themes in the score, Bobs Hornpipe. I have very slightly adapted the structure for life on the melodeon and outside of the film. The whole exercise was a brilliant challenge and I promised myself to do something with the material. This seemed as good an opportunity as any.

https://youtu.be/veQdyIigBBw

All the best

Bill

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2018, 04:18:38 PM »

Here's The Broken Rifle by John Kirkpatrick from his CD Three in a Row.

I learnt this some years ago but it never made it to performance standard.
It's taken me a while to resurrect it and work on the arpeggios, row crossing and modulations.
It's completely playable on a standard 2 row 8 bass even though this is on a 2 and 1/2 12 bass.  I don't use any of the 1/2 row or extra basses.

I like the way it sort of rises throughout the tune and then ends up back at the beginning but an octave up - a bit like an Escher staircase.

https://youtu.be/L3US_950w_k

Mitch

Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

Saul Bailey

• Anarchist
  • Good talker
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2018, 06:10:55 PM »

Umpteenth take's the charm... Here's Roger Wilson's Zycanthos/Zakynthos Jig :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=givKrB_RRVA&feature=youtu.be

Saul
Castagnari Morys DG & CF, Pariselle BbEb, Saltarelle Neuilly DG, Castagnari Lilly DG, Pokerwork DG, Eric Martin G/C

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2018, 01:07:49 PM »

Now normally the TotM postings encourage me to learn one or two of the songs other people upload but to be honest it is a bit different this time around. All of the songs indeed seem to be Everest Tunes in its true sense as in hard to learn and even harder to master. You all are doing a great job!  :||:

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2018, 01:36:14 PM »

I enjoyed that, Mitch, thanks! I really like this tune - as you say, the way the B part rambles around through different chords before ending up, somewhat surprisingly, back where it started. JK demonstrates it on his tutorial DVD, but I haven't tried it yet.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2018, 10:48:39 AM »

Mitch

I've been learning this one for 30+ years... :|bl
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2018, 01:10:01 PM »

Mitch

I've been learning this one for 30+ years... :|bl

Me too!
It's quite a work out for lots of different arpeggios. I found one of the most difficult parts was the first 2 bars of the B music. The arpeggio AEC#E starting with the third finger and then the run ABC#D starting on the same A but with the first finger.

Mitch

Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal