Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Implementing a Microvox on a box I care about  (Read 3328 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Implementing a Microvox on a box I care about
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 09:47:13 AM »

Thanks for those pictures. It certainly looks secure. I wonder, does she leaves the clamps permanently mounted when she takes the pickup off? I worry that frequently taking the mounting plates off would end up stripping the threads of the screws securing them. I do like that, though. I wonder where the clamps come from?

At the moment I'm still using tie wraps (aka cable ties), fastened through the grill, with a degree of success. They don't look very "designed", but they work.

The single bass pickup is a more urgent issue. Currently velcroed, but it tends to fall off. A clamp on a base held between the lower and middle cover fixing screws might sort this without being intrusive.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 02:29:05 PM »

The single bass pickup is a more urgent issue. Currently velcroed, but it tends to fall off.

The bass pickup on my Oakwood is built in to the instrument, and there is an RCA (phono) connector  on the back of the bass casework.
It does involve drilling a hole, but the result is entirely neat and inoffensive, and invisible from the front.
It's actuallly a Microvox swan neck mic, internally held so the capsule is right next to one of the airholes, to minimize cavity resonance.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 03:01:52 PM »

The single bass pickup is a more urgent issue. Currently velcroed, but it tends to fall off.

The bass pickup on my Oakwood is built in to the instrument, and there is an RCA (phono) connector  on the back of the bass casework.
It does involve drilling a hole, but the result is entirely neat and inoffensive, and invisible from the front.
It's actuallly a Microvox swan neck mic, internally held so the capsule is right next to one of the airholes, to minimize cavity resonance.

My Microvox 310 has a single bass pickup permanently connected to the treble bar, with power supply and a preset balance control inside the treble bar and the combined signal delivered as a mono signal to a 1/4" jack.  I am thinking of splitting the connecting cable and fitting a plug in connector, then mounting the bass pickup inside the bass cavity, leading a connecting lead through the bellows, as discussed in other threads, but I wasn't sure how acoustically effective this would be. Is the transducer in the swan neck similar to the condensors the dedicated accordion microvox uses?

Come to that, I wonder if there would be any future in taking the treble bar out of it's case and mounting it inside the treble casing?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 06:57:49 PM »

I am thinking of splitting the connecting cable and fitting a plug in connector, then mounting the bass pickup inside the bass cavity, leading a connecting lead through the bellows, as discussed in other threads, but I wasn't sure how acoustically effective this would be. Is the transducer in the swan neck similar to the condensors the dedicated accordion microvox uses?

I'm sure Alan Hughes told me (a fair few years ago) that the mic capsule is the same for all the 400 series mics, but not the same as your 310 - I think all the M300 range use a larger diameter capsule which is more prone to overloading on loud instruments.

Come to that, I wonder if there would be any future in taking the treble bar out of it's case and mounting it inside the treble casing?
Where? It's unlikely to fit behind the grille, and it will sound completely different and most likely not very good inside the bellows.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Stotty

• Stotty
  • Regular debater
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 09:28:47 PM »

Thanks for those pictures. It certainly looks secure. I wonder, does she leaves the clamps permanently mounted when she takes the pickup off? I worry that frequently taking the mounting plates off would end up stripping the threads of the screws securing them. I do like that, though. I wonder where the clamps come from?

I expect that she will just remove the Microvox from the clamps and leave the clamps on the melodeon, but I didn't ask.  I certainly don't think it would be wise to keep removing and replacing the screws.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 09:54:59 PM »

Food for thought, thanks, both of you.
Greg Smith

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 11:46:56 AM »

So, in further pursuit of the ideal  set for amping for events, as I said earlier, I thought I would try a wireless guitar system.
I did a search on everone's favourite websites, for the cheapest unit I could find, to test the concept with, and found a Flanger FW1 2.4 GHz system from China,  on ebay,  for the unbelievable price of £1.99 with free standard delivery. It must be junk, I thought, but for £1.99 I might as well take a chance. Ignoring the option of overnight delivery  for a mere £300, I placed my order, paying through paypal.

Yesterday I had the notification that it has been despatched (why does the stupid spellchecker have to show this as a misspelling?). When I hit the link in the notification the target page gave the price as £91.99. A note said that the listing had been updated by the seller, with another link to my actual purchase. On this link  the details were as I purchased the item.

It seems that the seller has made a mistake in the original post and that he has chosen to honour his commitment to me.

So, should I be wary that there is some sort of scam involved? So far as I can tell, there isn't. Secure payment and item despatched.

If this is genuine, should my sense of honour induce me to contact the seller and offer the full amount?
Greg Smith

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal