Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old tuning tables in Castelfidardo museum  (Read 845 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Old tuning tables in Castelfidardo museum
« on: June 02, 2018, 07:35:32 AM »

Some people might be interested to look at these tuning tables. One has a set of reference reeds fitted (I assume that's what they are). I also visited the 'biggest accordion in the world' and the gent in there had a very similar tuning table that he was using. Anyone know how the air control system would work? One button is out and it looks like a pin, so maybe it simply opens a spring loaded pallet below.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VRTw7iwdXfPUH13X2

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Old tuning tables in Castelfidardo museum
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 08:48:15 AM »

They look a bit complicated, but I suppose that tuning by ear (surely that's what they'd be doing?) is necessarily that way. All the reeds slot into place as each one is tuned, so that it can be sounded against its fellows, up, down, octave etc. etc. A long process I should think, and a really good ear required.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 12:00:42 PM »

You could tune to the reference reeds, so hearing if it's in unison would be easy. Same goes for an octave. For tremolo reeds you could count the beats against the ref reeds, which isn't that hard. If you were trying to do eq temperament by ear, then, yes, you'd need a fair few years of practice for that. However I don't know if that is the approach. Then tweak the reeds in the box on a different tuning rig.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 12:02:22 PM by RogerT »

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 01:17:56 PM »

From what I remember of visits to Nils Nelson, he used to tune to a set of reference reeds,....I don't ever remember seeing any kind of electronic device at all, I think he relied exclusively on his ears, ( and years of experience !!)
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal