Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Marc Sérafini  (Read 6362 times)

-Y-

• Handry 18 (G/C), Mélodie (D), Club IIb (A/D)
    • a database of 400 or more melodeons here
Marc Sérafini
« on: June 04, 2018, 02:19:55 PM »

Good news folks, Marc Sérafini is back in business.

He's reopened a website (http://diatoz.fr) where you can discover the new classical models (made on his specifications by Maugein and Mengascini) and the return of Darwin model, plus a new one, which is an 18 basses version of the Darwin.

melodeon

Re: Marc Sérafini
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 03:04:32 PM »

That's great news !

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 03:10:02 PM »

"That's great news !"

As long as they aren't made by Dino Baffetti, I presume, eh?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

-Y-

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 04:54:57 PM »

I'm not sure to follow all the implications of your message Edward, but from what I can gather, prior to his comeback, things were a bit chaotic for Marc Sérafini, and perhaps before his break he took too many orders, and couldn't honor them properly (my tuner explained to me that he'd have to re-do most of the interior stuff of a Serafini that was done just before he temporarily stopped his activity). Now, I see the option of having more classical models being made by acknowledged small factories a good way for him to concentrate fully on making good high-end models that are innovative and bringing much (IMO) to the melodeon world.
After having manually entered several hundreds of accordions models in my database, it's rare to see fully customizable accordions. Agreed, sometimes that's not what you want: sometimes you just want a plain model that does its job well. Some companies have made their business model accordingly, I think in particular of the Italian factories that aim at having the most reproducible work as possible, and for which adaptability is not the keyword. See for instance the latest 24 basses from Castagnari: it's a feature that was asked from several people and it took the name of someone enough well known to have it available as standard in the catalogue.
Marc Sérafini, however, has initiated a trend, particularly visible in the makers he trained (Miguel Gramontain, Jérémie Vanglabeke, Antoine Errotaberea and - I think - Tania Rutkowski) to make more personal accordions. Not the same production type so, you can't really compare what's not comparable.
We talked at length here of the need of some accordionists to have more flexible registration. It's the case on the Sanfona and Darwin models, which feature 6 stops on the left hand to have a variety of sound.
More generally, I feel that regarding the melodeon we're lagging behind the CBA world in terms of sonorities and what's available. So yes, great news I think.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 05:13:43 PM »

Perhaps I should have made it more plain! My flippant comment was with regards to melodeon's posting (reproduced below) on another thread, and regarding what I view as the beginnings of a similar manufacturing/trading/retailing arrangement.

"Saltarelle don't actually make anything though.."

Contrarily, yes they do. They make money.

And they talk as if they do make accordeons  , and defend their quality in spite of the obvious, and contest the first hand observations and comments made by players and owners, to include we of the  Parish Pushers of Buttons.

I find no reason to use solid woods unless of extreme quality and figure.  Modest quality laminates far exceed the solid woods used by Saltarelle instruments made by  Dino Baffetti.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:21:51 PM by Edward Jennings »

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 05:28:42 PM »

Looks like the model I have (R2D2) isn't available anymore - which was a pared down 2 voice, no stops. I think there's room for that type of instrument still but perhaps not enough room for profit. The modern French Pokerwork?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Roger Howard

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 05:54:19 PM »

Excellent news, indeed. I have a C3P0, which is just lovely. The "Star Wars" boxes may not have all the options that the more expensive ones did, but they play beautifully, and are made just as well. It's great to see such an excellent and innovative maker back.  ;D

Roger

G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

melodeon

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 06:58:05 PM »

"Perhaps I should have made it more plain! My flippant comment was with regards to melodeon's posting (reproduced below) on another thread, and regarding what I view as the beginnings of a similar manufacturing/trading/retailing arrangement."

While "flippant" I understand the point of view.

The difference in Saltarelle and Serafini is that Saltarelle for years kept the maker "secret" and George Roux himself told me in my first phone call to them that the boxes were made in France.. the conclusion on my part was that Saltarelle was actually making the boxes. Facts dictate otherwise.

The difference in Serafini is that he clearly says on his web site who the maker is..
Only in recent history did the junior Roux announce that Dino Baffetti was the maker here on MelNet.  Nowhere on the Saltarelle web site is the maker's name revealed.

Another difference between Serafini and Saltarelle.
Serafini sells direct to the customer the boxes made for him while Saltarelle distributes the accordeons made by Dino Beffetti to retailers adding an additional level of profit and higher expense for the customer. I will stop here as I do have an opinion about what happens to quality when the prices are equivalent to other makers who do not have multi tired sales and distributuion.

Back to Serafini.... I hope these additional lines of accordeons  will allow him to spend his time in making custom and one off and higher quality instruments.

playandteach

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 11:24:03 PM »

I think we're in danger here of suggesting by a very roundabout route that Marc has not built some of his own instruments. I have nothing but the highest respect for him and he is much to be congratulated on his return to building fine instruments.
Unless there is something I'm missing can we quickly just settle that a mistimed comment has blown up without intention and move on.
I worry that a 'there's-no-smoke-without-fire' reaction will set in and create a feeling that there is something amiss with this fine maker.
So unless I'm mistaken, let's focus on the positive return of a serious maker. If this is just down to two members having a stand-off, please, please don't let Marc Serafini be in the line of fire.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 12:05:58 AM »

melodeon, I certainly accept your explanation of the differences between the two operations; as I said, it was a flippant comment having a little dig at your previously (and currently) aired views on the melodeon traders. But I feel that we shouldn't be too hard on the fact that businesses, in general, expect to make a profit; that's what they're there for.

P&T, I honestly cannot imagine how you can think that there has been any suggestion that Mr Serafini employed another builder to make his previous instruments. Let's all hope that his suppliers in the new arrangements have the same commitment to excellence which he, himself has displayed previously. 

Good luck to them all!

-Y-

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 08:12:49 AM »

I think there's room for that type of instrument still but perhaps not enough room for profit. The modern French Pokerwork?

Agreed. I think the Simplex 8 from Antoine Errotaberea is a successor to the R2D2, with a similar price (900€).

playandteach

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 10:06:42 AM »

I think the R2D2 was around 1500 Euros, and Antonelli reeds I think. I like the link you shared, also +2 accidentals is good for me.

Falconer

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 03:03:38 AM »

I just ordered a Mengascini 2 1/2 row 12 bass GC from Marc. He responded to my questions very quickly and politely via email. His English is very good. He sent me photos of the actual boxes in stock and confirmed the button layout. It was very easy to pay via Paypal. It is supposed to ship on Friday. I'm very excited anticipating delivery next week. I thought the clarity and functionality of the "store" section of website was great.
Hohner Pokerwork GC (1960's) & Hohner/Koch AD (cir. 1930), Mengascini Milonga GC LM & Hohner Red Perloid DG (1935-40), Castagnari Rik GC+, a DG Beltuna Sara +2 & Bb/Eb Hohner Preciosa moified to 12 Basses. Lachenal 48 Key English Concertina (cir. 1903).

-Y-

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 11:36:25 AM »

Would be interested in any feedback you could give us when you've received your new accordion!

-Y-

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 08:28:41 AM »

I've been in touch with him and he's also re-making R2D2s (2+2 rows), Z6POs (2+5), C3POs (3) (for those who wonder, Z6PO was the French "translation" of C3PO in the first Star Wars film).
Which for me makes less sense than focusing on high-end 3 rows, but with the other two ranges of accordions being already available (and with a considerably shorter waiting time), he'll probably not make many of these anyways.

Roger Howard

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 10:23:35 AM »

That really is good news. These are well-made, good value for money instruments. When Marc made mine he was a pleasure to deal with. I wish him every success!  (:)

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 08:52:55 AM »

With all due respect to Mr Serafini and his undisputed skills, the posts in this thread are just serving to further confuse my simple understanding/misunderstanding of who is actually making these instruments, and what Mr Serafini's role actually is.
Most of the posts seem (to me) to imply that he is the manufacturer, whilst Falconer's latest offering reads as if Marc Serafini is the designer, manufacturer and retailer, but then the name on his instrument is Mengascini! I've had a quick gander on their site and couldn't see any reference to Serafini at all! (I did notice, mind you, that they're all made of solid wood, no ply there!)
To an uninformed and financially secure newby looking for his/her first, and new, quality melodeon, it would appear that Marc Serafini is just a retailer of Mengascini melodeons, how are we supposed to tell which Mengascini's he's had a hand in? Or am I tripping over some hurdle which I'm unable to see because of my own stupidity?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 09:02:39 AM »

If you look at Marc's own site you can se he sells Mengascini boxes as well as his own.   I don't see any confusion.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2018, 09:09:14 AM »

Or am I tripping over some hurdle which I'm unable to see because of my own stupidity?

Possibly  ;)

His website has a separate page for his own boxes accessed by clicking on the Serafini Accordions link

https://www.diatoz.fr/accord%C3%A9ons-s%C3%A9rafini/

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 10:07:01 AM »

Thanks Lester and Theo. So the short answer to my question is "Yes.", but you're both too polite to say that!
Nevertheless, I find it hard to reconcile the profuse praise of Marc Serafini typified in Falconer's last post and based on his new toy, when Serafini's contribution to the Mengascini, other than being the retailer, is listed only as "Designed in collaboration between Marc Serafini and La Fabrique Mengascini (Italy)." It's as if it actually was a Serafini box, in the same manner that the Serafini badged boxes undoubtedly are.
I'm probably still missing something, so I'll just shut up now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal