Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Improvisation - how to learn that skill?  (Read 5724 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: Improvisation - how to learn that skill?
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 02:47:13 PM »

They're pretty great clips Chris aren't they? Am listening to Outhouse Allstars' sax break in Engelska at the moment - it occurs to me that in both of these, it does seem to help to have a rock solid rhythm section when doing that. What Aurelien does, is improvise, and keep the rhythm rock solid, at the same time. All by himself. Level 10 playing.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2019, 05:26:03 AM »

Here's a bit more Rhône-Alpes festival small hours stuff then

https://youtu.be/9MADCBYCXZ8

Strict approach to rythm, and fluid use of ternary rhythm. Straightforward here as Chabenat's Impasse mazurka is already 9/8.

The riff is  modal |: Em  C   Em   C :|:  G  D/F# F  Em  :|

Scales sound … Blues (Em pentatonic with Bb passing note) and some dorian bebop? Yes, you need to practice yer scales too. Norbert often hangs the 9th of the Em scale. That's F# - yes?

And as the chord changes to C the F# becomes the #4 passing note of the C Blues scale or Characteristic note of C lydian. He can "from there" either reslove it, or stay in tension playing either C blues, or C lydian scale CDEF#GABC.

Note how Stef stops playing tune and assists, swithchingbto |: Em9 C :| chords, played "flat"

In the B music I hear … a chromatic run (echoing the bass line)? And quite a lot of D mixolydian, that's D with a C natural, ie D scale played on the G row. Not exactly rocket science?

Apart from the chromatic run, and the Bb accidental in E blues scale this ALL plays on a British standard D/G 😉 Main rows!

[edit] … Lot's of "silence" in there too? And finish on a cool note. He's picked the 9th again, F#.😎 A D (m7) would work too. Bb would feel more jazzy. Finishing on E - that ain't cool 😉
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:19:54 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2019, 10:44:40 PM »

I have played blues guitar, largely for my own amusement, but also in jam sessions with friends, for over fifty years.  Mostly 12 bar blues, an easy sequence on an 8 bass melodeon, but with many melodies I do miss the availability of accidentals for blue notes.  Lately I have been playing a few Billy Holiday songs in G.  If you have the usual top end accidentals on a D/G box then you should be able to play “Blue Moon” and “I’ll Be Seeing You” along with several others.  Once you’ve got the feel of the notes and the intervals of the blues scale(s) you can slip them in to other tunes where they fit.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal