Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Foot tapping  (Read 15489 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Foot tapping
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 01:56:14 PM »

That is a wonderful bit of box and foot playing!  I feel he desperately needs a backing band more in tune with his rhythmic skills, though.

Don't know. The band makes a great backdrop for his playing. Lets it shine through.
I didn't know you could dance sat down. Great piece.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 02:18:04 PM »

That is a wonderful bit of box and foot playing!  I feel he desperately needs a backing band more in tune with his rhythmic skills, though.
I think I agree - the band isn't really adding much of anything to the box playing.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2018, 09:17:08 PM »

George's comment about following the best dancer has a lot of resonance for me.

I'm not a deliberate foot-tapper, but I'm confident that my playing does all that's needed for people to dance to, including keeping time and providing a strong pulse.  I also know that my left foot taps unprompted, as I play. 

Treacherously, my left foot re-processes the regular beat of my playing and inserts its own degree of randomness.  I discovered this when a stand-in musician (a lady of considerable musical gifts and experience who was substituting for a missing fiddler) playing on a noisy stage with no monitors, mistakenly followed the movements of my foot rather than the movement of the dancers.  The result was temporary chaos. 

Some people seem to drive their playing with their foot, whilst others manage very well without any foot movement at all.  There's probably a doctorate to be had for anyone with the patience to work out why. 
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 01:06:47 AM »

Our band has some pretty good musicians in it and some ...improvers. Tonight we had a practice night. Ostensibly, A dance practice but a musician's practice night too. While I can't do the cajun thing, I , very consciously, used foot tapping and dad dancing to  to see if it would help the ...improvers, to follow the subtleties, exaggerating the moves to make sure the tempo was obvious. The musicians loved it. The ...improvers didn't notice. Just carried on doing their own thing. I'm feeling a bit frustrated.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 06:46:47 PM »

Melnet strikes again with 10 answers containing 20 contradicting opinions for the same question  >:E
Thanks all, I have a lot to think about now  (:)
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2018, 09:42:36 AM »

Been told off repeatedly for foot tapping in improvisation sessions in France.   

Seems … not quite in resonance with what I'm doing musically.  But personally its totally unconscious.
  _       _    _      _ 

george garside

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2018, 09:48:39 AM »

an advantage of ffoot tapping in morris & ceilidh bands is that the leader can glance along the row of musicians to check that all feet are tapping in exact synch.   If the leader is in synch with the dancers or the best dancer  so should the rest of the band be  Anyone out of synch can be given  the dirty look!

george ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2018, 05:05:09 PM »

an advantage of ffoot tapping in morris & ceilidh bands is that the leader can glance along the row of musicians to check that all feet are tapping in exact synch.   If the leader is in synch with the dancers or the best dancer  so should the rest of the band be  Anyone out of synch can be given  the dirty look!

george ;)

So, what do you do if he feet look like a mexican wave?
Greg Smith

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2018, 05:11:23 PM »

It should be the other way round.  The band members should all be watching and following the leaders foot tapping.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2018, 05:40:42 PM »

an advantage of ffoot tapping in morris & ceilidh bands is that the leader can glance along the row of musicians to check that all feet are tapping in exact synch. 

What makes you think the musicians are any better at holding a straight line than the dancers are?  :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :M :M :M
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2018, 08:51:32 PM »

It should be the other way round.  The band members should all be watching and following the leaders foot tapping.

Too true, I think he meant, look and see if they are  (:)
Greg Smith

Stotty

• Stotty
  • Regular debater
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2018, 10:01:46 PM »

an advantage of ffoot tapping in morris & ceilidh bands is that the leader can glance along the row of musicians to check that all feet are tapping in exact synch. 

What makes you think the musicians are any better at holding a straight line than the dancers are?  :||: :|||: :||: :|||: :M :M :M

So many races start with the contestants in a line  >:E

george garside

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2018, 10:30:38 PM »

Too true, I think he meant, look and see if they are  (:)

indeed!
g

Barlow

• Bad player, good talker apparently
  • Regular debater
  • Castagnari Lilly B/C Erica D/G
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2018, 12:36:32 PM »

george ;)

So, what do you do if he feet look like a mexican wave?

A different genre of course but such as brass bands discourage foot-tapping. The beat and rhythm are set by the conductor, or perhaps a soloists, not (as with a session near us) the guy with the biggest feet (some might say smallest brain.)

So should beginners be encouraged to foot tap or should they train using metronome and their own internal rhythm?
. . .

george garside

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2018, 01:47:43 PM »

if playing for dancers foot tapping helps musicians and dancers become as one

ceilid bands, morris bands etc etc don't have a conductor  to 'keep time'  and foot tapping in usison by all band members  helps to keep everybody in time with each other

Yes I would advocate  foot tapping for beginners  as it effectively helps then to identify the beat and the off beat.  ( foot down on the beat foot up on the offbeat)

this helps begginers to get away from the   varying speed  right notes in the right order  ?playing  that is not uncommon  among begginers  often with the easy bit played faster and the tricky bits slower!

With a bit of seriarse practice  the foot can  perform the function of a metronome   by programming the brain (no need to listen to any tick tocking)  to send the right rhythm down the arm  so to speak.

george

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2018, 02:24:37 PM »

this helps begginers to get away from the   varying speed  right notes in the right order  ?playing  that is not uncommon  among begginers  often with the easy bit played faster and the tricky bits slower!
The funny thing is that my issue is usually the opposite, I can play slow and steady in the easy bits, but once I get to a hard bit, I can find myself speeding up considerably.
I think it's due to my brain being afraid of getting stuck during the bit and my fingers trying to be helpful by rushing to wherever they're needed with no regard to timing.

I also suspect that my brain sometimes thinks that playing is typing, where the exact moment you hit a button doesn't matter at all, just the order and the average speed.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »

an advantage of ffoot tapping

Is that for when you play the Welsh tunes George?  :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2018, 02:45:07 PM »

Try the Heel-toe technique ? there's many ways to tap :D if tapping is messing you up do so standing up and bend your knees instead of tapping or move your hip hells bang your head if that will help <-- doesn't help me :D I wish one day i can headbang to the jingle :D
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2018, 03:33:58 PM »

The funny thing is that my issue is usually the opposite, I can play slow and steady in the easy bits, but once I get to a hard bit, I can find myself speeding up considerably.
I think it's due to my brain being afraid of getting stuck during the bit and my fingers trying to be helpful by rushing to wherever they're needed with no regard to timing.

I also suspect that my brain sometimes thinks that playing is typing, where the exact moment you hit a button doesn't matter at all, just the order and the average speed.

I don't think foot tapping is relevant here.  The problem you describe happens to almost everyone.   

The answer is to practice the hard bits very slowly, and I mean very, very slowly.  Then play the whole thing at a speed where you can play the hard bits with confidence and without speeding up. You might also find it helpful to use the "stop motion" technique to begin with where you stop briefly after each note and only play the next note when you know which finger, on which button and which bellows direction.  That will allow your brain time to learn the fingering, and with time and practice you will be able to play the sequence of notes with confidence and with good timing.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

george garside

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2018, 04:10:35 PM »

Try the Heel-toe technique ? there's many ways to tap :D if tapping is messing you up do so standing up and bend your knees instead of tapping or move your hip hells bang your head if that will help <-- doesn't help me :D I wish one day i can headbang to the jingle :D

at least you are not suggesting  doing anything with ones private parts!

g
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal