Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tunes that you enjoy primarily because they feel good to play  (Read 9653 times)

MikeK

• Respected Sage
Re: Tunes that you enjoy primarily because they feel good to play
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2018, 09:56:57 AM »

The Dark Island played as a slow Air.  I imagine  standing on the shore, listening to the Alantic waves rolling
on to the sands. Very,very relaxing.
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

Elledeepee

• Good talker
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2018, 03:10:17 PM »

I've also heard the following attached to it, which is merely bawdy rather than racist but still rather inappropriate for mixed company!

My uncle Billy
had a ten foot *****
and he showed it to the girl next door.
She thought it was a snake
so she hit it with a rake
and now it's only five foot four.

Man, this thread has drifted, and it's entirely my own fault! ::)

Oh I think we wimmin' are made of sterner stuff over here since many of us dance Dilwyn and sing the ditty along with the men...afterall it makes a change for the bloke to come to a sticky end instead of the woman ;)
Morris dancer, flute and whistle player and improving player. Castagnari Rik, Excelsior Bilbo

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2018, 04:08:07 PM »

I've been enjoying playing Morrison's jig. Took a while to get it down reliably but it gallops along nicely. Usually played as follow up tune to a slowish version of Atherfeld.
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2018, 04:14:14 PM »

I've been enjoying playing Morrison's jig.

Followed by Just Asda Tide was A-Flowing?

Sorry - I'll get me coat............

(Please take this in the spirit in which it was intended!)
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Elledeepee

• Good talker
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2018, 04:51:04 PM »

and then Each Lidl Thing? ..........
Morris dancer, flute and whistle player and improving player. Castagnari Rik, Excelsior Bilbo

Stotty

• Stotty
  • Regular debater
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2018, 05:47:58 PM »

I like the chorus

https://youtu.be/cL7jyXCQ2Zc
But back on theme, I find Huntsmans Chorus, Michael  Turners Waltz and Phil Cunningham's "Sarah's Song " among my current satifaction favourites

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2018, 07:00:36 PM »

And probably Aldi Young Dudes....... I MUST STOP DOING THIS!!!!  I blame  the local wine.......

Apologies again!
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2018, 07:19:46 PM »

The Dark Island played as a slow Air.  I imagine  standing on the shore, listening to the Alantic waves rolling  on to the sands. Very,very relaxing.

Absolutely! Anything lyrical played as a slow air. In my Morris days i used to adore Fieldtown "Princess Royal" signposts done that way, as did the dancers. Unfortunately there was usually another musician in sight who'd join in and … push the pace.

Anyone else share my opinion that all folk tunes can be divided into 2 basic genres?

.  1. "come all ye … etcetera "
 .  2. "Nellie the elephant"
  _       _    _      _ 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2018, 07:25:23 PM »

Fieldtown "Princess Royal" signposts

Think you mean Fieldtown "Shepherd's Hey" Signposts

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2018, 08:47:11 PM »

... i used to adore Fieldtown "Princess Royal" signposts done that way, as did the dancers. Unfortunately there was usually another musician in sight who'd join in and … push the pace.

Just shout Steadaaay
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »

How about wanting to play a tune that brings you to the brink of tears?

We played a beautiful waltz (from sheet music) at a dancers festival last Saturday night and it affected me so much that I had to go outside for some fresh air afterwards. Perhaps my emotions were still raw after the death of a good friend. Evidently it made quite an impact on the dancers too and we had to play it again the next night. I think I'll have to learn it by heart now.

Tourner a Trois composed by Paul Machlis.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2018, 08:16:50 PM »

Tunes I currently really enjoy playing:

Double Lead Through (especially the C# bit!)
Grand Hornpipe (especially the B)
Redwing (see above)

(not together though!)

Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »

Having reached the stage of gradually adding a new tune every few weeks, but still being unable to play any of them through entirely reliably, I have taken to making explorations into other genres.  I have managed to work out the fingering for “As Time Goes By”. Just have to perfect the Humphrey Bogart world weary drawl.

On my 70th Birthday Party I played “All You Need Is Love” on the streamer as part of my address to the assembly.  I’ve been humming it  since, so the other day I had a crack at playing it, firstly on my three row G-C Acc box, ‘cause there’s a chromatic run in it, then on me two row D-G.  I was agreeably surprised to find all the notes and most of the chords on the two row.  I can’t manage to get through it in one go, but I aren’t ‘alf ‘avin’ fun with it.  Trouble is, all the practice for the other tunes is suffering.  But as an instant time travel back to 1967 it’s magic. 
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2018, 10:46:32 PM »

Anyone else share my opinion that all folk tunes can be divided into 2 basic genres?

.  1. "come all ye … etcetera "
 .  2. "Nellie the elephant"

Which category is "Delilah" in then, Chris?
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2018, 03:03:43 PM »

I've also heard the following attached to it, which is merely bawdy rather than racist but still rather inappropriate for mixed company!

My uncle Billy
had a ten foot *****
and he showed it to the girl next door.
She thought it was a snake
so she hit it with a rake
and now it's only five foot four.

Man, this thread has drifted, and it's entirely my own fault! ::)

Oh I think we wimmin' are made of sterner stuff over here since many of us dance Dilwyn and sing the ditty along with the men...afterall it makes a change for the bloke to come to a sticky end instead of the woman ;)

Inappropriate for mixed company?!?!? Next somebody will say "or children might hear it"...

Aww, always thinking of the innocent little children and poor easily-offended ladies ;-)

Seeing as how I knew these words from the junior school playground having learned it from the girls who used it all the time for a skipping-rope rhyme, both these suggestions seem complete rubbish to me, and most likely to come from people who worry far too much about whether other people might concievbly be offended...

So they'd certainly have objected to the Shropshire Bedlams singing this in the old days when they blacked up... ;-)
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal