Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2019  (Read 16617 times)

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
Re: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2019
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2019, 12:55:00 PM »

Yes another excellent weekend: well done Bob and his team for some inspiring tutors in a great venue.
Pity I didn't get to meet any other Melnetters other than Julian S, Tufty, Gena, and Vicky.
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Andy Duckering

• Good talker
  • Cotswold Border Garland
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2019, 01:37:55 PM »

Thank you for a brilliant weekend. I enjoyed every minute and have learned a great deal. Looked at lots of melodeons and am now thoroughly befuddled. Happy though.

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2019, 02:06:22 PM »

What a weekend ..... probably the best melodeon workshop event I've been to, ever! Thank you Bob and the team  ;D

Two brilliant workshops with Toon caused me major brain overloads, but really opened up new insights into creating music with melodeons and extracting the most from our funny instruments.

There's so much to remember, practice and hopefully incorporate into my playing.

And that concert - just stunning musicianship.

Finally, it was lovely to be among such a friendly bunch of people, lots of renewing of old acquaintances and making new ones.

PS Hugh, we met at the Friday night session - we even had a brief conversation about people not using their real name on Melnet!
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2019, 02:52:55 PM »

PS Hugh, we met at the Friday night session - we even had a brief conversation about people not using their real name on Melnet!

Ah yes I remember. I didn't recognise you from your Melnet photo as you weren't wearing a straw hat!
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2019, 07:08:42 PM »

I also met you, Hugh. I was quite taken aback at how tall you were, and you; how short I was!
Enjoyed your playing at the sessions, nevertheless.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2019, 10:06:04 PM »

I'd forgotten it was this weekend ... I'm glad to see how much everyone enjoyed it again ... I thought the first one last year was incredible ... you lucky people!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2019, 10:09:53 PM »

Thanks to Bob and team,and the staff at the venue.
Good to meet lots of people, existing customers and new.
Special thanks to those customers who decided to make a purchase.
More events coming up that Acorn Instruments will be involved with,and exhibiting at.
Keep an eye on web site.
www.acorninstruments.co.uk
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2019, 09:16:26 AM »

And now to apply some of what I learned - more time on scales, chords, experimentation, revisiting tunes (and looking at the tunes from the workshops I missed) but fundamentally for me, more focussed practising. The wonderful playing of the tutors comes through hard work and application (which I have to say I lack !)

J

Old Bones Dance Band

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2019, 12:25:07 PM »

And now to apply some of what I learned - more time on scales, chords,

I felt (and true perhaps with some others in Pascale's GC group?), that I was a bit humbled about not being immediately able to put my fingers on chords (right hand chords). Of course part of the problem was playing DG the whole day before, and that confusion between having some chords in common, but in different places.
I have resolved to resolve this issue with some exercises. I know my layout is different (has Gs and As in both directions) but this rarely affects sharing patterns of chords - although the buttons might be in different places occasionally. In other words, for example, we can all play a low position C chord, but I steal my G from the outside row.
Of course these exercises would also translate to DG, but with different chord names.
If anyone is interested I could share a pdf of these exercises (late night thoughts) and perhaps a video too. But only if it might be of interest.
Thanks again, Bob and Brian, plus the others who helped organise the event.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2019, 01:01:08 PM »

I felt (and true perhaps with some others in Pascale's GC group?), that I was a bit humbled about not being immediately able to put my fingers on chords (right hand chords). Of course part of the problem was playing DG the whole day before, and that confusion between having some chords in common, but in different places.

Might I suggest your study include organizing your chords by the I/IV/V method rather than chord naming?  Like scale/arpeggio/chord patterns on a two-row keyboard, this allows the player to swap boxes of different keys without the hassle of changing the chord naming not unlike using solfa for melodies.

I learnt this on guitar and it is very handy.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2019, 03:12:42 PM »

Might I suggest your study include organizing your chords by the I/IV/V method rather than chord naming?  Like scale/arpeggio/chord patterns on a two-row keyboard, this allows the player to swap boxes of different keys without the hassle of changing the chord naming not unlike using solfa for melodies.

I agree. It makes a huge difference when swopping melodeons.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2019, 03:17:48 PM »

What a great and well organised weekend.  Thank you Bob and Brian.  Lovely to meet some new people and make contact again with old friends.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

playandteach

« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2019, 04:15:51 PM »

I know what you mean, and appreciate the tip, but as I'm not sticking to a key, but using all the basses / chords in each exercise then the chords would become floaters, Am could be frequently chord I in the music I play, but then when I play a piece in C, it would be chord VI.
I am sticking for the purpose of this to only using G push chords, and F pull chords.(GC speak). Main issue is to build a combination of muscle memory (yes I know there's no such thing, except it is a good way of expressing it) and improve the knowledge of the note name of each button (one reason for sticking to one direction for the doubled chords). Despite my willingness to help others of course, this is aimed primarily at supporting my weaknesses.
Perhaps we'll see what the first one looks like and feels like. I suspect that it might even improve my ability to change boxes, as the right hand and left hand are tied together in these patterns.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2019, 04:22:42 PM »

P&T...

You're thinking backwards there.  If you think of the "functional" designation first (IIm7 for example), the actual pitch is a gimme...for every key.  If you go by the "pitched" chord name they will be different according to position/relationship/function, but if you go by the position/relationship/function, all chords of any key will be generated automatically...if you need the names.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 04:25:07 PM by Dick Rees »
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

playandteach

« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2019, 04:25:33 PM »

Maybe I'll start a new thread on this.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2019, 09:43:23 AM »

Thanks very much for all the kind comments about Melodeons in Wensleydale and thanks to everyone who attended. Your cooperation and cheerful camaraderie helped to create a lovely positive vibe that suffused the whole weekend.

I was too busy making sure things ran smoothly to spend more than a few minutes in a couple of workshops, so I would be grateful if any of you who took any photographs you would be willing to share could send me copies of them for use to illustrate an article about the weekend for a local magazine. My e-mail address is bob@bpellis.idps.co.uk

If anyone made any recordings in the workshops, I would be grateful for copies, so I can reap some benefits from the workshops in my own playing. I would be particularly interested in a recording of the beautiful arrangement of L'Ordre Théresien that Toon taught to his Sunday class.

The dates for next year are 24-26 April, so put them in your diaries if you are hoping to attend.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:53:30 AM by Bob Ellis »
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Ellisteph

« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2019, 10:38:26 AM »

Interesting that you've just made a request for photographs & recordings Bob; I was just about to ask the same thing for the benefit of those of us who were unable to attend this year. I appreciate that filming may have been low on the list when concentrating on the valuable teaching going on, but if anyone caught the odd snatch of the excellent artists relaxing with a catchy tune it would be great to see something on You Tube. Maybe you should think about appointing a non-musician with the task next year Bob? Dates for 2020 noted; sounds like a really top class event.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2019, 10:56:26 AM »

Actually my wife (Sheila) was acting Girl Friday and did take some photos and videos.  We have not really looked at them yet, but I'll make them available through here at some point.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2019, 11:38:43 AM »

Interesting that you've just made a request for photographs & recordings Bob; I was just about to ask the same thing for the benefit of those of us who were unable to attend this year.

The tutors have ownership of their workshops and, although they granted permission for people to make recordings, it was for the personal use of of the people in their workshops, not for dissemination to others or publication on YouTube. I hope everyone can appreciate that this is a reasonable position to take. After all, if the material were published on YouTube or disseminated widely, there would be no incentive to attend the workshops in the first place. Numbers might then drop to a point where the event becomes no longer viable.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2019, 12:15:24 PM »

Interesting that you've just made a request for photographs & recordings Bob; I was just about to ask the same thing for the benefit of those of us who were unable to attend this year.

The tutors have ownership of their workshops and, although they granted permission for people to make recordings, it was for the personal use of of the people in their workshops, not for dissemination to others or publication on YouTube. I hope everyone can appreciate that this is a reasonable position to take. After all, if the material were published on YouTube or disseminated widely, there would be no incentive to attend the workshops in the first place. Numbers might then drop to a point where the event becomes no longer viable.

oops - yes - noted - so Sheila's recordings will not be uploaded without agreement of the tutors. Pictures I presume could be though?
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal