Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2019  (Read 16618 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2019
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2019, 12:49:10 PM »

The tutors have ownership of their workshops and, although they granted permission for people to make recordings, it was for the personal use of of the people in their workshops, not for dissemination to others or publication on YouTube. I hope everyone can appreciate that this is a reasonable position to take. After all, if the material were published on YouTube or disseminated widely, there would be no incentive to attend the workshops in the first place. Numbers might then drop to a point where the event becomes no longer viable.
I totally agree with Bob about this. It is standard practice for just about every workshop event that I have attended or taught over the years. Any recordings/videos are made (a) with the permission of the tutors at the time, (b) with the permission of the particiants present at the time, and (c) with the absolute understanding that they are for private study use only and not to be shared with others, whether on social media or by other means.

In many cases the tutors earn a substantial proportion of their living through professional fees paid to them at workshops. To publicly make available unauthorised recordings or videos is, not only as Bob has indicated, to reduce incentive to attend future workshops, but also to directly undermine that livelihood. Please don't do it.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

heartshaped1

• Good talker
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2019, 01:12:07 PM »

Just to add my slightly belated thanks to everyone who attended my minor tunes mini workshop on the Saturday.

Thanks for giving it your time and attention despite many of us (me included) having had our brains well and truly frazzled by that point!

Huge thanks to t'management for the organisation and for booking Brian, Toon, Pascale and Saul as such excellent tutors.

And lastly thanks to all that took time to chat to me, it was lovely to catch up with familiar faces and meet some new ones. It's like having a lovely big extended family you don't get to meet up with often enough!

Hope to see you all in 2020,

Vicky.
G/C/Acc VanDerAa, D/G/Acc Hohner Lucia, D/G Pariselle, D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club I, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2019, 01:45:27 PM »

The tutors have ownership of their workshops and, although they granted permission for people to make recordings, it was for the personal use of of the people in their workshops, not for dissemination to others or publication on YouTube. I hope everyone can appreciate that this is a reasonable position to take. After all, if the material were published on YouTube or disseminated widely, there would be no incentive to attend the workshops in the first place. Numbers might then drop to a point where the event becomes no longer viable.

I definitely agree with all this, but as someone in the United States for whom attending a melodeon workshop in England is unlikely to be a regular opportunity, I've wondered in the past whether it would be logistically possible to make a "distance learner" registration available that would have access to videos and workshop materials. Obviously, it wouldn't compare to actually being there and being able to talk to the workshop tutor, but personally I would be quite happy to pay for the privilege of sitting in on a workshop "virtually".

Maybe the logistics would be too much effort for little payback, but maybe it's something worth considering?
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Ellisteph

« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2019, 09:14:21 PM »

I totally agree with Bob about this. It is standard practice for just about every workshop event that I have attended or taught over the years. Any recordings/videos are made (a) with the permission of the tutors at the time, (b) with the permission of the particiants present at the time, and (c) with the absolute understanding that they are for private study use only and not to be shared with others, whether on social media or by other means.

In many cases the tutors earn a substantial proportion of their living through professional fees paid to them at workshops. To publicly make available unauthorised recordings or videos is, not only as Bob has indicated, to reduce incentive to attend future workshops, but also to directly undermine that livelihood. Please don't do it.
I also agree with Bob & everyone else regarding the workshops -  which is why I said 'relaxing with a catchy tune' . I should have added 'with permission' as well of course. Just jealous of those who were able to attend and looking for a hint of the atmosphere; I would not wish to compromise the livelihoods of artists I admire.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2019, 01:55:42 PM »

Thanks again to Bob, Brian and all the tutors for a great weekend. Definitely taking home a bunch of new ideas and things to work on! Hope to see some of you again in August (Jesse F, the guitarist, and I will be at Towersey).  And yes -- I agree with Jesse here that it would be nice to have someone do some virtual subscription workshops sometime!

Best,
Joan
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2019, 03:00:43 PM »

And yes -- I agree with Jesse here that it would be nice to have someone do some virtual subscription workshops sometime!
As I see it, there are several dfficulties with presenting a live workshop on-line, via subscription. The overall permissions/confidentiallity/intellectual property/copyright issues have already been touch upon.

But added to that are
(a) the cost of decent video and recording equipment - who pays for it?
(b) having a sufficient sized room to set it all up in - many workshop spaces are cramped or awkward shapes.
(c) someone who knows their stuff to operate the gear - who pays the operator?
and, not least,
(d) the sheer intrusiveness of having such a set-up and procedure in the the presence of the tutor and the participants.

With regard to (d) in my many years experience of workshops, both teaching and participating, they are very much unscripted and immersive occurences with much to-and-fro interaction (not to mention banter) between tutor and participants. To pick up all these nuances would require something like a proper television film crew with more than one camera to give the ability to switch and pan between people. It's no good having a microphone and camera just aimed at the tutor - this would almost certainly result in questions and comments 'from the floor' being inaudible and invisible. Also, the tutor will often move around the group during the workshop, again leading to camera following diffiiculties.

Finally, though you may not believe this, many tutors get very nervous indeed prior to, and during, teaching a workshop. It's different from an on-stage performance which will have been carefully rehearsed beforehand. In a workshop, you never know quite what will happen, what mistakes you will make as a tutor, who will throw a curve-ball in the middle, who will swear, who will dissolve into floods of tears (I've seen it happen, thankfully not when I was a tutor). I don't think that has any place in a video recording. It's a workshop, not the Big Brother House.

No - call me a grumpy old git if you want, but personally I would not welcome a video being made in any of my workshops. I guess some other tutors might feel differently, although all the safeguards and practicallities would still need to be met.

If you want virtual on-line tuition, I suggest you contact a tutor such as Mel Biggs for lessons via skype.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2019, 03:02:08 PM »

call me a grumpy old git if you want

You are a grumpy old git   8)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2019, 03:06:34 PM »

You are a grumpy old git   8)
Cheers, Lester!  8)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2019, 05:26:00 PM »

Finally, though you may not believe this, many tutors get very nervous indeed prior to, and during, teaching a workshop.

I’m not totally surprised about your comments as some adrenalin is required. However, the tutors at all of the workshops I’ve attended have failed to expose any nerves. They’ve been so professional, confident, helpful and convivial. This most certainly includes you two grumpy old gits.   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:27:42 PM by Nigel »

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2019, 12:14:44 PM »

A somewhat tardy addition to the chorus of applause, shouts of Bravo! and Encore!  Following the 5 hour plus drive back to leafy Surrey I’ve been a bit busy, but I must say this last course was even better than the inaugural one in 2018.

Not only did Bob lay on another absolutely stonking lineup of tutors, but he also managed a replay of the glorious sunny spring weather which graced the previous year’s weekend.  I do hope he sustains this performance.  Looking at the two tutors booked for next year the future looks very promising.

Both the workshops I attended this year comfortably stretched my capabilities in a pleasantly invigorating fashion, if occasionally up to breaking point.  Thanks to Saul Rose and Brian Peters for their energetic and learned exposition of their subjects.  I shall be back next year if I’m spared.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal