Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So much for that idea!  (Read 1306 times)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
So much for that idea!
« on: June 11, 2018, 04:22:45 PM »

Having read that some Melnutters remove the frames before re-taping bellows, and having been encouraged to try it myself, I thought, 'Why not?'
Now I know why not! The bellows have been glued on with a sort of hide/Scotch glue, which has hardened to the consistency, and brittleness of glass, it even has a lovely glazed finish. Stripping the frames is a pig of a job, and takes ages. One done, one to go  :|bl
At least I won't have to re-tape that set of bellows, but I will have to contact Igor ;)
Remind me not to do this again.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: So much for that idea!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 07:56:49 PM »

Further to this, can I cut off the first folds, and glue the belows back onto a frame? Has anybody done this?

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 08:06:53 PM »

Yes, no problem, as long as you don't mind shorter bellows.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 07:18:49 AM »

L R Reed blocks may touch if you do.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

invadm

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 10:22:12 AM »

You need to brush on some warm water on the glue to soften first Sir John, than scrape off with a spatula or a blunt knife, if you are trying to clean the dry hide glue a not a good idea. ..Before taking off the frame it is best to brush on some warm water from the inside of the bellow –where you have that glass like finish – when glue is soft than start working from the inside of the bellow slowly ,push your spatula around and take care around the corners as there is more glue on the corners.
You will have to  clean off ALL old glue from both frame and the below paper properly and use sanding block /paper to nice clean finish…new glue will not stick if you don’t clean off the old glue properly…whenever I get an older box first thing I do is the bellows and I have done many and always took off the frame, never had an issue so far. 
and don't cut of the fold.     

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 11:25:09 AM »

You need to brush on some warm water on the glue to soften first Sir John, than scrape off with a spatula or a blunt knife, if you are trying to clean the dry hide glue a not a good idea. ..Before taking off the frame it is best to brush on some warm water from the inside of the bellow –where you have that glass like finish – when glue is soft than start working from the inside of the bellow slowly ,push your spatula around and take care around the corners as there is more glue on the corners.
You will have to  clean off ALL old glue from both frame and the below paper properly and use sanding block /paper to nice clean finish…new glue will not stick if you don’t clean off the old glue properly…whenever I get an older box first thing I do is the bellows and I have done many and always took off the frame, never had an issue so far. 

I echo the above. My favourite removal tool is an old IKEA palette knife (they probably still do something similar), which is also perfect for applying wood filler and the like. When using it to separate bellows frames I dip the knife itself into hot water to help loosen the joint.  I have another similar tool with a parallel blade about 6 inches long which isn't quite as flexible as the IKEA one but cost less than a quid from a discount stationer/artists materials supplier  and works just as well -  can't remember who now, as it's some years back.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal