Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shrewsbury Flourish  (Read 2324 times)

Martin P

• Respected Sage
Shrewsbury Flourish
« on: June 12, 2018, 11:15:15 PM »

Anybody know the original tune (Title unknown) written by Ray Langton to be played for the original dance out of Shrewsbury Flourish by Shrewsbury Lasses at Sidmouth FW in 1984? Dots or abc would be greatly appreciated.

JD

• Regular debater
Re: Shrewsbury Flourish
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 08:56:56 AM »

I have attached a scan of a sheet given to me after a workshop from 20 years ago, maybe more. This has Shrewsbury Flourish plus two other tunes by Ray Langton. I hope it's sufficiently readable. I can send a higher quality scan by email (the file is bigger than the site limits here).

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:29:20 AM »

This looks right
X:1
T: Shrewsbury Flourish
S:Ray Langton
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:G clef=treble
g2 ((3gdB) G4|b>ag>f g>d B2|c>de>f g>dB>G|c2A2A4|
g2 ((3gdB) G4|b>ag>f g>d B2|c>de>f g>dB>G|A2A2G4:|
|:e2a2f2a2|b>ag>f g>d B2|c>de>f g>dB>G|c2A2A4|
e2a2f2a2|b>ag>f g>d B2|c>de>f g>dB>G|A2A2G4:|
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:37:21 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 10:29:02 AM »

Thanks for that. Just what I was looking for. Bit trickier to play than Speed the Plough or Enrico is what we currently use for this dance. I can see why the tune has become little used because this dance often played at end of dance-out as a “everybody join in” dance, so musicians play well known tunes. Hopefully the dancers will be impressed when I play the correct tune.

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 11:02:26 AM »

g ((3gdB) G4|b>ag>f g>d B2|c>de>f g>dB>G|c2A2A4|
g ((3gdB) G4|b>ag>f g>d B2|c>de>f g>dB>G|A2A2G4:|

With a great deal of trepidation, he said: "Shouldn't bars 1 and 5 of the A part be something like "g2 ((3gdB) G4"?
That's how I read the score on the aforementioned scan...
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »

g ((3gdB) G4|b>ag>f g>d B2|c>de>f g>dB>G|c2A2A4|
g ((3gdB) G4|b>ag>f g>d B2|c>de>f g>dB>G|A2A2G4:|

With a great deal of trepidation, he said: "Shouldn't bars 1 and 5 of the A part be something like "g2 ((3gdB) G4"?
That's how I read the score on the aforementioned scan...

Thanks. Typo, aggravated by copy and paste coding. And I triple checked it.  >:(  Corrected in a mo.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 11:40:34 AM »

... this dance often played at end of dance-out as a “everybody join in” dance, so musicians play well known tunes. Hopefully the dancers will be impressed when I play the correct tune.

Funnily enough, I coded it because when I played it I thought it might make a good tune for Tinner's Rabbit. The universal Border Morris join in dance.
Greg Smith

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 11:42:25 AM »

Thanks. Typo, aggravated by copy and paste coding. And I triple checked it.  >:(  Corrected in a mo.

Tpyos! Tell me about it - bane of my bl**dy life...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:44:35 AM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 01:28:55 PM »

the sheet has my birth year on it :D so 20 is more like 36  :|||:
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Ray Langton

• Regular debater
    • Ray Langton Music
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 08:10:09 PM »

Hi Folks. Only just picked this thread up. I wrote the tune for the Shrewsbury Lasses to teach a dance by the same name (written by my wife Bev) at Sidmouth Festival in the 1980's. It is still a regular dance in the Shrewsbury Lasses repertoire and has been learnt by quite a number of teams across the country many of whom dance it to my original tune. I have recorded it more than once and has been published on three CDs. The Morris Federation CD 'And the Ladies Go Dancing' (which can be also accessed via Youtube) My own CD 'For Curiosity' and the Shrewsbury Morris CD '40 years Young'. There are some interesting variants on Youtube recorded by other musicians! However if anyone wants any more information please contact me directly ray.langton@talk21.com. Very happy to hear it played by others but would obviously prefer it to be played as I wrote it! By the way a Google search for Ray Langton finds me failry easily once you ignore references to Coronation Street.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 09:29:01 PM »

Did I do it more or less right, Ray? I think it's a Proper tune. How's Deidre these days? I heard she was poorly.
Greg Smith

Ray Langton

• Regular debater
    • Ray Langton Music
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »

Personally I have no idea what abc notation is about so can't comment as to the accuracy!

Ray Langton

• Regular debater
    • Ray Langton Music
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 08:29:40 PM »

There should now be a clearer copy of the notation attached here. I think

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 11:24:32 PM »

That is the joy of organic nature of folk music and dance. So our squire Liz Clode learnt the dance at Sidmouth (where we live) in that workshop in 1980s. She had never danced before and just fancied having a go at Morris dancing. Somehow she remembered the dance and had the notation I assume. 10 years later in 1998 she helped form Sidmouth Steppers and somehow a cut down version of Shrewsbury Flourish has become the side’s standard “ join-in” dance. However, Liz has no knowledge of music so we have used Speed the Plough as lowest common denominator for this dance. I was really pleased to discover the original tune and went along to practice full of enthusiasm to play my discovery. However, I was promptly told to shut up and just play the diddelly-dee tune we always use. Sigh. I’m saving it for another year. I might sneak it in and see if they notice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal