Discussions > General Discussion

Tyranny

(1/10) > >>

Stiamh:

--- Quote from: Anahata on June 14, 2018, 11:11:09 AM ---
--- Quote from: playandteach on June 13, 2018, 11:06:28 PM ---I think it was Messiaen who called it the tyranny of the barline.
--- End quote ---
Bartok expressed a similar opinion about "the tyranny of major and minor scales".
--- End quote ---

Several decades ago, I was in a somewhat De-Dannan-like band in Melbourne of which the members played box (not me), fiddle (me), mandola/mandolin, bouzouki/guitar, 12-string guitar, bodhran. A traditional Irish singer, blessed with a fine voice, a laconic wit and few teeth, pronounced us an example of "the tyranny of the fretted instruments".

Someone somewhere must have uttered a sentence containing the words "tyranny" and "melodeons|accordions". Any ideas?

triskel:

--- Quote from: Stiamh on June 14, 2018, 01:39:27 PM ---Someone somewhere must have uttered a sentence containing the words "tyranny" and "melodeons|accordions". Any ideas?

--- End quote ---

Surely it's the collective noun... ???

A "tyranny of accordions/melodeons" n'est ce pas? ;)

Chris Rayner:
To me tyranny implies a degree of organised coordination which, in my, admittedly limited, experience is rare among melodeoneers.  I think anarchy might be closer to the mark.

triskel:

--- Quote from: Chris Rayner on June 14, 2018, 06:10:29 PM ---To me tyranny implies a degree of organised coordination which, in my, admittedly limited, experience is rare among melodeoneers.  I think anarchy might be closer to the mark.

--- End quote ---

There speaks a melodeonista! ;) 

But players of other, quieter, instruments may be forgiven for thinking worse of box players sometimes... :o

I recall a powerful, driving, session of very lively old-school Irish traditional music out in Mullagh, one Willie Clancy Week, that I took part in - with 3 grey C#/D Paolo Sopranis (Charlie Harris behind one of them), Des Mulkere on banjo, + old-style "tambourine" bodhran, that the locals absolutely loved and completely understood and could relate to - it was like something from the old days, and we fairly "took the roof off" that night - people still talk about it. But a foolhardy "Willie Week" student flute player and an ill-advised mandolinist, who tried to join in, quickly gave up after only a couple of tunes. ::)

Stiamh:
I'm sure that was a great night Stephen. But I've seen nice quiet sessions destroyed by the incursion of a young fella with a loud, wet (set your teeth on edge wet) 4v box. Pointless trying to play sweet fiddle along with a bluebottle-in-a-jamjar amplified x 1000.  >:E

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version