Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uh oh, a melodeon followed me home...  (Read 1760 times)

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
Uh oh, a melodeon followed me home...
« on: June 15, 2018, 04:10:58 AM »

So today I went to a wonderful accordion repair workshop hosted by Scott Bellinger - although my head is overflowing with information now it was great to get to see all the common tasks demonstrated and to really understand how the box works, with everything opened up and easy to see. Well, I thought it would be nice to have a backup box to practice some of these techniques on without risking my good (and only) melodeon. So I ended up coming home with a pressed wood Hohner in C/F. Not too different from my D/G Pokerwork, but I hope it will be a good backup box and might have a better suited sound for certain tunes and maybe for singing.

I think it is quite a bit more mellow and quiet than my Pokerwork. That might be due to the leaks in the bellow gussets (I can see and hear several large ones but I think I'll be able to patch them after attending this workshop). But I've heard others say that these pressed wood Hohners tend to have a mellower sound. Scott replaced the valves and rewaxed the reed plates but had not done any tuning, but to me it sounds reasonably in tune with itself, anyway.

I was wondering if anyone can help narrow down the manufacturing date. I've attached a few photos in the next posts. It has a mixture of aluminum and zinc reed plates. The reed plates have H stamped on them (whereas my Pokerwork's say T). The bottom of the reed blocks are felted, all in different colors. It has these crazy green giraffe spots bellows with purple tape, possibly my favorite part! The bellows gasket is just rope or string; I might replace that when I repair the bellows leaks. Finally, the "feet" are separate from the screws and washers holding on the bass side cover, which I believe means this is post-WW2, correct? When did they stop producing the pressed woods?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:22:21 PM by Jesse Smith »
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
Re: Uh oh, a melodeon followed me home...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 04:13:17 AM »

Full box view.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 04:15:02 AM »

Bellows

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 11:35:14 AM »

Enjoy...I have one of these...she's possibly my favourite...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 12:32:08 PM »

So today I went to a wonderful accordion repair workshop hosted by Scott Bellinger - although my head is overflowing with information now it was great to get to see all the common tasks demonstrated and to really understand how the box works, with everything opened up and easy to see. Well, I thought it would be nice to have a backup box to practice some of these techniques on without risking my good (and only) melodeon. So I ended up coming home with a pressed wood Hohner in C/F. Not too different from my D/G Pokerwork, but I hope it will be a good backup box and might have a better suited sound for certain tunes and maybe for singing.

Thanks, Jesse. I enjoyed it as much as you. I'm not sure how many melnetters are within driving distance but as a first trial workshop I think it was a success and may recruit from the forum next time offered. Enjoy the pressedwood. Steel corner clips (not brass) like most of my other pressedwoods so later rather than earlier production for this model I believe. Perhaps they changed from brass to steel around WW2 to free up brass for munitions.

Scott

BellingersButtonBoxes.com
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 04:31:27 PM »

Hi Jesse,
I do like the 'one followed me home' excuse, must remember that for next time  ;D
We did warn you, once MADness hits, there really is no going back!

I don't have a CF but do have one below that in terms of keys, BbEb and like a CF it is so mellow compared to our higher pitched DG's. It will make a lovely contrast to your DG Pokerwork and I'm sure it'll become an excellent addition.
Enjoy!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 04:31:16 AM »

We did warn you, once MADness hits, there really is no going back!
Well, this wasn't MAD so much as a desire to have a backup in case something goes wrong with my Pokerwork. In fact, I almost feel I should keep an eye out for another D/G Pokerwork, just to have an actual backup, since they are not making them anymore and they are scarce as hen's teeth in the States.

All right, that does sound like MAD, actually. (I used to have GAS - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. Possibly this is an improvement.)

The things I am really MAD for are not easily attainable, like an HA-114 in D (in playable condition). I suppose I'd settle for a C as well (more common here but still not an everyday occurrence).

The thing that is throwing me on the new box is that because of the wheezy bellows, the points in the tunes where I have learned to use the air button on the Pokerwork no longer do the trick. Hopefully I can patch up the worst offending holes and that will improve.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:54:17 PM by Jesse Smith »

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 08:40:30 AM »

Oh I know.....a backup is probably needed, then a backup for the backup, just in case....
MADness *has* struck, join the club  8)

I suspect having to cope with a wheezy box might well mean your air control improves over time.
Anyway, enjoy it matey
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 09:41:02 AM »

Well, this wasn't MAD so much as a desire to have a backup

Yeah, right....

All right, that does sound like MAD, actually.

I rest my case, your honour.
We've all been there.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 10:00:06 AM »

;D
Indeed m'lud!
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal