Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bellows Frames  (Read 277 times)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Never too old to learn
Bellows Frames
« on: June 17, 2018, 11:12:42 AM »

I need a set of bellows to fit a Pokerwork size Hohner, and was considering trying to make a set just to see if I can do it. So has anybody here tried to make themselves a set of bellows frames, and how did they go about it? I have been looking at oak mouldings 20x20 mm, but they would be too wide one way, (easily solved), but too thin another way to make a strong enough frame. Yes they could be modified, and that is what i may do, but I just wondered if anyone could point me in another, easier direction?

Sir John

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Angle-hardwood-decorative-trim-moulding-21x21mm-2-4m-beading-wooden-timber/273042357906?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
I used to play by ear, but got into dire trouble.
Diarrhoea !

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : Hohner Club II (De-clubbed) D/G : Hagstrom G/C: Hohner Corona IIIR G/C/F :Preciosa Bb/Eb. Hohner 384 1930's Varnished wood G/C: Hohner B/E: Hohner Erika C/F: Bb/Eb Liliput, awaiting restoration.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Bellows Frames
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 12:19:29 PM »

I’ve not made a bellows frame, but Ive seen it done many times.
Do you have a router, or a table saw?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Never too old to learn
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 12:41:22 PM »

I have a band saw, and my router is hand held, therefore not right for work that is too precise. I had been thinking to trim the wood beading on one leg, to the right size for the side of the frame where the gasket goes, and then gluing a strip along the other leg, to the right thickness  for the main bit of the frame. Then taking it from there.

Sir John
I used to play by ear, but got into dire trouble.
Diarrhoea !

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : Hohner Club II (De-clubbed) D/G : Hagstrom G/C: Hohner Corona IIIR G/C/F :Preciosa Bb/Eb. Hohner 384 1930's Varnished wood G/C: Hohner B/E: Hohner Erika C/F: Bb/Eb Liliput, awaiting restoration.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 01:37:09 PM »

If you have a router then start with a wide board, rout the rebate along one edge with a temporary fence clamped in place.  Then cut off the required width on the bandsaw.
If you don’t have a suitable wide board then use wherever square stock you are starting with and glue it on to a wider board while you do the machining.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 02:49:00 PM »

I had been thinking to trim the wood beading on one leg, to the right size for the side of the frame where the gasket goes, and then gluing a strip along the other leg, to the right thickness  for the main bit of the frame. Then taking it from there.

Sir John

I made my first frames like that but later adopted Theo's method. Either will work.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.