Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sandpaper box has a broken air bellows button  (Read 985 times)

Pam Woodcock

Sandpaper box has a broken air bellows button
« on: June 18, 2018, 11:45:43 PM »

Hello, I hope you can help me, I have a Sandpiper box and the bellows button is broken, ... So now my box has  "floppy bellows syndrome" I live in the far North of Scotland on the Island of Orkney and there are no Melodeon repair folk up here ( in fact there are no other Melodeon players here) so I need to repair this myself or send it off Island to a "box hospital".
I have opened the box and it is clear that the lever was attached to the button via a metal plate with what looks to be a blob of glue??? Can this be right if so what glue do you advise me to use it seems a really poor system for longevity but there again I know nothing, I have only been playing for 8 months.Thanks for any advice given.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Sandpaper box has a broken air bellows button
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 12:00:41 AM »

Someone with a sensible answer will be along presently.
But in the meantime, I thought that your post title must have been about a "Wee Free" melodeon, made out of sandpaper to rub everyone up the wrong way!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 09:30:12 AM »

I may be your nearest port of call Pam, I'm in Lairg Sutherland. So if you can't get it sorted there, let me know. Really need to see the problem to advise you on repair, as I'm not familiar with that make of box, so can't do it from memory. There is a bod in Stromness who knows all about concertinas.
Someone on here will know though.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 09:45:11 AM »

It's a common problem with Sandpipers.   The weld can fail that attaches two rods to make up the lever assembly.  The blob of glue is probably a previous attempt to repair.   I can supply a replacement lever, or the plate that it is mounted on.  Please send me some photos to theo.gibb@gmail.com.   If possible I can send you replacement parts, or failing that you cam send me the box by parcelforce and I'll be able to repair it.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Pam Woodcock

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 06:16:27 PM »

Thanks for all the advice, I will send a couple of pictures of the failed bits of the air button Theo, so you know which bits I need to purchase from you, hopefully we will be able ( this is the royal "we") to repair it without sending it off to you, I know Hamish Bain at Stromness but he only works on concertina's but I may be able to persuade him to have a go at this if it is beyond my hubby's ability.Thanks Pam
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal