Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WANTED - Cheap D/G Box for trade/part ex  (Read 1167 times)

Jon Hughes

WANTED - Cheap D/G Box for trade/part ex
« on: June 19, 2018, 03:04:45 AM »

Hi all,
I am a multi instrumentalist looking to start learning melodeon after a while playing a little piano accordion and anglo concertina.
I'm looking for a very cheap DG box (I'm on a student budget) that someone would be interested in trading/part exchanging for my concertina and/or accordion.
The concertina is a 20 Button Scarlatti Anglo, the accordion a 48 Bass Settimio Soprani Ravenna (original 1920s I believe).
Any interest? I'm based in the UK, Cheshire.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 03:11:05 AM by Jon Hughes »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: WANTED - Cheap D/G Box for trade/part ex
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 09:46:53 AM »

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

folkloristmark

• Regular debater
    • street entertainers
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 10:30:53 AM »

I have a Scarlatti black dg box £250 and a very nice(alot of them are bad) East German powkerwork box. £220. Post from france but the east german is in the Uk with me at the moment
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Jon Hughes

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 01:48:51 PM »

I have a Scarlatti black dg box £250 and a very nice(alot of them are bad) East German powkerwork box. £220. Post from france but the east german is in the Uk with me at the moment
Any interest in trade/part ex with the boxes i mentioned, or are you only selling?

Winston Smith

• "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 02:15:00 PM »

Jon, your two part exes would be difficult for even a trader to shift; the only potential buyers would probably be beginners like you. Old PA's are often ten a penny, and can haunt auction sites for months and months, and still not sell, even for small money. The Anglo could also be difficult to move on; most buyers seem to prefer the 30 button jobbies and even those don't usually fetch much.
For value, which is most important to hard-ups like me (and maybe you!), I've found it's better to lash out on an old Hohner. Even if you pay more than you'd really like to, you get a decent instrument which you can often sell on, for the same money as you paid for it (and sometimes even a little more!) when you're ready to. 
Although I can carry on messing with melodeons, the ongoing attention of the Ministry of Truth and the Thought Police will (no doubt) eventually teach me to really love Big Brother!

folkloristmark

• Regular debater
    • street entertainers
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 02:27:53 PM »

Just to amend my post. Cut and paste error. Its not a Scalati black Box its a Stepheneli dg black box with I think Harmonikas reeds.I am losing the will to spell.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Winston Smith

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 04:06:38 PM »

That's right, of course, it's just my experience.
I saw a one row 4 stop melodeon, same as the Scarlatti but without the name, (looked very nice, as well!) go for £15 the other day. The Scarlatti two row concertinas, or the same instrument with another (or no) name on, are often sold for around the £20 mark.
Although I can carry on messing with melodeons, the ongoing attention of the Ministry of Truth and the Thought Police will (no doubt) eventually teach me to really love Big Brother!

Jon Hughes

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 05:42:28 PM »

Jon, your two part exes would be difficult for even a trader to shift; the only potential buyers would probably be beginners like you. Old PA's are often ten a penny, and can haunt auction sites for months and months, and still not sell, even for small money. The Anglo could also be difficult to move on; most buyers seem to prefer the 30 button jobbies and even those don't usually fetch much.
For value, which is most important to hard-ups like me (and maybe you!), I've found it's better to lash out on an old Hohner. Even if you pay more than you'd really like to, you get a decent instrument which you can often sell on, for the same money as you paid for it (and sometimes even a little more!) when you're ready to.
I feared as much. I was kind of aware that there would be very little market for a swap or part ex, but i guess my main hope was that i might stumble upon someone with a cheap box they dont use who wants to dabble in something new. Either way, thanks for the advice - a pokerwork or erica would be a dream for me, but until I have funds saved to buy one this was just an attempt to save myself a bit of money haha!

Jon Hughes

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 05:44:19 PM »

That's right, of course, it's just my experience.
I saw a one row 4 stop melodeon, same as the Scarlatti but without the name, (looked very nice, as well!) go for £15 the other day. The Scarlatti two row concertinas, or the same instrument with another (or no) name on, are often sold for around the £20 mark.
I see a lot of old one rows knocking about for cheap, I'm just conscious of the fact that I will need a two row box for the ensembles I'm in and tunes I want to play.
My concertina set me back 80 quid in as-new condition, and ive only had it two years so it is v good, i guess its just finding the right buyer though.

folkloristmark

• Regular debater
    • street entertainers
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 06:29:17 PM »

Greg its East German so a powker work only by Slang. It was tuned by its former owner by a Melnet fettler and is in Vienna tuning and imho opinion very nice for such a box. Its with me as I am in Uk working so its the one I brought with me as its a nice box but wont break the bank if lost/stolen as its in the car a lot of the time.The Steph is a steady beginers box.There is nothing wrong with one rows.Post a picture of the concertina and Pm me if interested
regards
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 06:36:55 PM by folkloristmark »
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Winston Smith

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 06:36:24 PM »

"an attempt to save myself a bit of money haha"

That's normal hereabouts, and what I've been trying to do since I first started with melodeons about 4 years ago. The problem is that you end up with a collection of "not very good" melodeons for the price of possibly 2 decent ones or one good one!

The kind members on here all warned me not to buy this one or that one, but in my ignorance (arrogance?) I went ahead; only to regret it later. I'm always on the "For Sale" sites on t'internet, and often come across real bargains. The other week I found two Hohner Pokerworks for sale for £100. Of course, you have to satisfy yourself that they aren't just scrap, but the seller assured me that these two were playable, and I ended up with one (someone else bought them and sold one to me) which I thought was OK. (Except that I didn't actually like it, so moved it on after a week!)

They're out there, but you have to be vigilant. And, so are a few keen buyers with too much money burning holes in their pockets, it's just connecting with them. But there won't be many of those on here.

Jon Hughes

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 11:59:08 PM »

"an attempt to save myself a bit of money haha"

That's normal hereabouts, and what I've been trying to do since I first started with melodeons about 4 years ago. The problem is that you end up with a collection of "not very good" melodeons for the price of possibly 2 decent ones or one good one!

The kind members on here all warned me not to buy this one or that one, but in my ignorance (arrogance?) I went ahead; only to regret it later. I'm always on the "For Sale" sites on t'internet, and often come across real bargains. The other week I found two Hohner Pokerworks for sale for £100. Of course, you have to satisfy yourself that they aren't just scrap, but the seller assured me that these two were playable, and I ended up with one (someone else bought them and sold one to me) which I thought was OK. (Except that I didn't actually like it, so moved it on after a week!)

They're out there, but you have to be vigilant. And, so are a few keen buyers with too much money burning holes in their pockets, it's just connecting with them. But there won't be many of those on here.
Ahh okay i see - coming from the world of guitars and basses, I guess there is always the option to (quite easily) adapt and improve a cheaper purchase - I'm beginning to understand that this is not necessarily applicable to melodeons, where a better quality starter instrument will actually have a benefit over a lower quality one.

Jon Hughes

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 12:00:44 AM »

Greg its East German so a powker work only by Slang. It was tuned by its former owner by a Melnet fettler and is in Vienna tuning and imho opinion very nice for such a box. Its with me as I am in Uk working so its the one I brought with me as its a nice box but wont break the bank if lost/stolen as its in the car a lot of the time.The Steph is a steady beginers box.There is nothing wrong with one rows.Post a picture of the concertina and Pm me if interested
regards
I'm at uni till tomorrow evening, but will post/ pm a pic of the concertina when I get home where it is!

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nelly
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 08:29:31 AM »

Ahh okay i see - coming from the world of guitars and basses, I guess there is always the option to (quite easily) adapt and improve a cheaper purchase - I'm beginning to understand that this is not necessarily applicable to melodeons, where a better quality starter instrument will actually have a benefit over a lower quality one.

I'm afraid you're right Jon - melodeons that are both decent and cheap are few and far between - and concertinas even less so.  You will struggle to do better than a Hohner Pokerwork or Erica, they are excellent starter instruments but chances are you will still want to play them years later. Although  bargains are there to be had they are rare and for a fully fettled one from a dealer you would expect to pay around £400-£450.  I appreciate £400 is outside your budget at the moment but you may be able to borrow or hire one.   My Pokerwork often goes out on missionary work among the unconverted - do you have any friends who play who might be able to loan you one? 

The good thing about acquiring a decent second-hand Hohner is should still be worth what you pay for it when you want to move it on - if you ever do.  I wouldn't part with mine.  In contrast starting on an instrument that is inherently poor will hamper your learning and can crush any love you may have felt for the instrument.   I initially bought a Delicia Popular Deluxe - a wheezy wooden wardrobe of a thing. It saved me money yes, but it  was heavy and slow and I didn't really make any progress until four months later I bought the Pokerwork on E-Bay for £370 (not a good strategy BTW).  The Hohner was such a different beast and thus began a great adventure.

Here's hoping you find your dream box soon. They are out there - some friends of mine paid only £100 for a German Pokerwork only last week. 
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man SessionsForty Foot Sword | Taylor's Morris | Nellodeon on Soundcloud| Melodeon Playgroup |

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 09:36:48 AM »

[[ADMIN]]
Off topic post removed.

Theo
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

ACE

• Respected Sage
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 10:59:54 AM »

They are out there - some friends of mine paid only £100 for a German Pokerwork only last week.

Yep, just keep looking in the most unlikely places, the £100 jobbie was advertised for quite a few weeks, before they got it. I actually put them on to it so the end price will be a tad more after the beer is factored in.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

folkloristmark

• Regular debater
    • street entertainers
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 11:20:12 AM »

Hi
the two I have are both decent and cheap for what they are a basic start instrument, as the are not stock and I know a little bit about melodeons. They are the only two row full size Dg's I own.The DDr is far better than most examples, agreed often basket cases .  Both purchased off beginers moving up. Having said that i would agree with the oft repeated advice get as good as you can afford, as often such models might put you off , if out of tune or faulty. From my experience most beginers need to play the instrument as that may help.If you take to the melodeon you will not stay with these models. But how many sets of strings do you get through as a beginer on a guitar in say two years? and the dont loose substantial value. Anyway dont want to go off topic and offend Theo. But all above posts are good advice.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 11:54:28 AM »

[[ADMIN]]

This a sale/wanted post not a request for advice.

Please do not post any more advice.  There is plenty here already.  If the OP had wanted advice he could have done that elsewhere.  Please confine further comments to directly answering the original question. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

saguaro_squeezer

• Pokerworks, Crane Duets, Bandoneon
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 12:33:39 AM »

Folkloristmark, sent you a PM.
Rod Wagoner
Tucson, AZ

"How great life is if you just accept the small gifts and don't waste time on wishes." - Clinton "Bubba" Hare, Airheads Beemer Club

"OOP-ACK-THHPT!" - Bill the Cat

folkloristmark

• Regular debater
    • street entertainers
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 10:45:10 PM »

Dont know if Pms working?
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.