Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reducing wear on bellows tape  (Read 3519 times)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Reducing wear on bellows tape
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 01:22:58 PM »

don't the bellows jut rub on the pad instead of you?

To amplify what Theo said, It's generally not the clothes, but hard objects like strap buckles, a belt buckle and possibly buttons or zippers on your clothing that do the damage.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 03:11:19 PM »

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,9188.msg114224.html#msg114224

Thanks. That's the information. Do I fancy tackling it now? Erm...not encouraged. Sounds like a pig of a job.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 03:14:53 PM »

If someone felt like making an on-line book of "how to fix it posts", or even just index posts by problems, it would be a hell of a resource.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 03:21:53 PM »

If someone felt like making an on-line book of "how to fix it posts", or even just index posts by problems, it would be a hell of a resource.

It just needs a volunteer.  Are you offering?

Or you can look here.  It is all based on piano accordions, but much of the techniques are the same or similar.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:28:37 PM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 03:41:17 PM »

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,9188.msg114224.html#msg114224

Thanks. That's the information. Do I fancy tackling it now? Erm...not encouraged. Sounds like a pig of a job.

It is. But  think of the sense of satisfaction..... ;)
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 07:25:04 PM »

richard.fleming's recommendation is sound.  If you have to play standing up, and use two straps to pin the box tight to your chest, try moving the l/h side in an arc as you work the bellows, moving away from you body as the bellows extend, rather than straight left-right.  That way there's less contact between the back of the bellows and your clothing, and it helps stabilise the right hand side as well.
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 09:36:34 PM »

Or you can look here.  It is all based on piano accordions, but much of the techniques are the same or similar.

Nice site, but not quite what I had in mind. It's the discussions here that are interesting and a search doesn't produce half of what's there. There are only 2400 topics posted... now, if I had the computer skills...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:38:14 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2018, 12:19:44 AM »

I have used bellows pads with the screw on snap fasteners - and I believe that the quick tidy screw on fittings don't do anything sinister compared to the shirt buttons / belt buckles etc.
My mother in law made some beautiful Chinese silk ones for my Piano accordion. They were easy to fit using hammer on fabric female ends.
Since I lost some weight the wear has become worse - either because my corpulence had been a ameliorating factor, or because I haven't quite sorted out the new strap length.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 01:07:28 AM »

Nice site, but not quite what I had in mind. It's the discussions here that are interesting and a search doesn't produce half of what's there. There are only 2400 topics posted... now, if I had the computer skills...

Well, I might be tempted to search through the topics by hand and put together such a list. I often enough also thought about compiling such a list of topics for everyone to look up once a question about repairing arises.

Problem is: I have a master's thesis to write in the next months and if I (finally) do any work at all, then it shouldn't be for a forum thread compilation but instead for my graduation. ;-)

Long story short: I support the idea of such a compilation of repair threads!

george garside

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2018, 10:41:46 AM »

richard.fleming's recommendation is sound.  If you have to play standing up, and use two straps to pin the box tight to your chest, try moving the l/h side in an arc as you work the bellows, moving away from you body as the bellows extend, rather than straight left-right.  That way there's less contact between the back of the bellows and your clothing, and it helps stabilise the right hand side as well.

I also helps two have the right hand strap longer than the left so the treble end is against your chest  and most of the bellows are clear or at least where your body starts to reduce in diameter.

This together with the bellwos following a 'fan' shaped arc should totally prevent bellows wear. My 2 row serenelli which has  been heavily played over 20 plus years has absolutely no sign of bellows wear .

george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 11:54:46 PM »

I am still using the (cheap!) soft covers that you can buy from Halfords which are designed to prevent the car safety belt cutting into your shoulders. They do an excellent job of preventing the big brass buckles on my trouser belts from damaging the bellows or the bodywork of my instruments.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »

Since I lost some weight the wear has become worse - either because my corpulence had been a ameliorating factor

Looking at the wear on my bellows tape I would suggest this may not be the case... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal