Discussions > Instrument Makes and Models

Three row diatonic preferences

(1/3) > >>

Daniel McPhee:
I’ve just been looking at a post with the title “If money was no object “
It’s an interesting one , the thing with three rows is that every make and model has differences & the players have different preferences of what they prefer in a box , so it can sometimes be difficult to get ones instrument one hundred percent.
I started of on a Zero sette eighty bass , then progressed onto a Gaelic ivs.
I continue from there with a small forty key Shand morino for the next 27 years until 2013.
From that point on I played Manfrini Instruments for a time , last year dealt away the Manfrini Artisan for a Fantini Sharino , which I felt was a higher quality instrument.
The point , is all these boxes are all good in their own right. It’s getting a decent model and getting it set up correctly for the player.

So after 27 years playing the Shand Morino I felt it time for a change  and shortly afterwards bought a  Manfrini  three row, which I found to be a great box.
A few alterations probably were required to set it up for the player.
The air bars were too small and the reed width on my Artisan was resulting in the box having to be played with a bit more power.
However these were things which could be corrected fairly easily.

I currently play the Fantini Sharino, of which I own two models.

Many players boycot these Sharino boxes as poor Morino copies , however I don’t think so.
I find them very high quality and sweet instruments to play.
They are a touch bulky but one can get used to that.
I don’t see myself ever owning a Shand Morino again as I’ve not much interest in older instruments, as highly engineered as they were , the majority of them are pretty worn now and to get a decent one is rare
The Hohner echo iv was one of my favourite Hohner instruments although I have to admit the Italian boxes just sound so much sweeter and have more depth to the bass than the Sharpness Of a Hohner instrument.

Well right or wrong these are my thoughts , I’m sure many won’t agree , perhaps some will 🙂
Howerever I’ll leave you with a link to some videos I’ve recorded for YouTube on the Sharino
 , I hope you enjoy the tunes 🎼
Thanks
Daniel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCypMa9XliN4ViWrYcFiQwVA

Chris Brimley:
Daniel, first, phenomenal playing!

As a quint 14-bass (non-stradella) 3-rower I would like to be able to play a similar sort of music, though of course only in the easier keys.  The big thing that separates these styles of instrument seems to me to be the sound of the instrument, rather than the layout.  I've never worked out why they sound so completely different, but I guess it's to do with the wetness of the reed tuning, the weight of the LHS, and the inherent reed dynamics?   

Daniel McPhee:
Thanks Chris
Yep these differences can affect the sound & dynamics. I think mine is wet tuning but a few cents drier than the normal wet sound.

Pete Dunk:
This is exquisite playing to a very high standard, I can apreciate the exceptional skill level, sadly it leaves me cold. I have no negative comments but this isn't for me.

Daniel McPhee:
 Yep Pete
I can appreciate that , it is mainly a melodeon forum so chat is central around that.
The diatonic three row is just really big brother to the melodeon.
Just thought I’d talk about a topic I was involved in , really 🙂
I sometimes have a go at the double Ray 12 bass melodeon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version