Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Three row diatonic preferences  (Read 2565 times)

Daniel McPhee

Three row diatonic preferences
« on: June 21, 2018, 10:29:41 AM »

I’ve just been looking at a post with the title “If money was no object “
It’s an interesting one , the thing with three rows is that every make and model has differences & the players have different preferences of what they prefer in a box , so it can sometimes be difficult to get ones instrument one hundred percent.
I started of on a Zero sette eighty bass , then progressed onto a Gaelic ivs.
I continue from there with a small forty key Shand morino for the next 27 years until 2013.
From that point on I played Manfrini Instruments for a time , last year dealt away the Manfrini Artisan for a Fantini Sharino , which I felt was a higher quality instrument.
The point , is all these boxes are all good in their own right. It’s getting a decent model and getting it set up correctly for the player.

So after 27 years playing the Shand Morino I felt it time for a change  and shortly afterwards bought a  Manfrini  three row, which I found to be a great box.
A few alterations probably were required to set it up for the player.
The air bars were too small and the reed width on my Artisan was resulting in the box having to be played with a bit more power.
However these were things which could be corrected fairly easily.

I currently play the Fantini Sharino, of which I own two models.

Many players boycot these Sharino boxes as poor Morino copies , however I don’t think so.
I find them very high quality and sweet instruments to play.
They are a touch bulky but one can get used to that.
I don’t see myself ever owning a Shand Morino again as I’ve not much interest in older instruments, as highly engineered as they were , the majority of them are pretty worn now and to get a decent one is rare
The Hohner echo iv was one of my favourite Hohner instruments although I have to admit the Italian boxes just sound so much sweeter and have more depth to the bass than the Sharpness Of a Hohner instrument.

Well right or wrong these are my thoughts , I’m sure many won’t agree , perhaps some will 🙂
Howerever I’ll leave you with a link to some videos I’ve recorded for YouTube on the Sharino
 , I hope you enjoy the tunes 🎼
Thanks
Daniel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCypMa9XliN4ViWrYcFiQwVA

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:46:54 AM by Daniel McPhee »

Chris Brimley

Re: Three row diatonic preferences
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 11:42:14 AM »

Daniel, first, phenomenal playing!

As a quint 14-bass (non-stradella) 3-rower I would like to be able to play a similar sort of music, though of course only in the easier keys.  The big thing that separates these styles of instrument seems to me to be the sound of the instrument, rather than the layout.  I've never worked out why they sound so completely different, but I guess it's to do with the wetness of the reed tuning, the weight of the LHS, and the inherent reed dynamics?   

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 06:02:32 PM »

Thanks Chris
Yep these differences can affect the sound & dynamics. I think mine is wet tuning but a few cents drier than the normal wet sound.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 11:55:35 PM »

This is exquisite playing to a very high standard, I can apreciate the exceptional skill level, sadly it leaves me cold. I have no negative comments but this isn't for me.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 07:41:16 AM »

Yep Pete
I can appreciate that , it is mainly a melodeon forum so chat is central around that.
The diatonic three row is just really big brother to the melodeon.
Just thought I’d talk about a topic I was involved in , really 🙂
I sometimes have a go at the double Ray 12 bass melodeon
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:52:53 AM by Daniel McPhee »

Thoon

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 09:00:59 AM »

In any case I like your style of playing. Thanks for sharing.

george garside

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 10:19:16 AM »

I play BCC# 96 bass ( but nowhere near Daniels standard)   and also of the 12 bass trichord   but generally use a simple ;two row DG 8 bass box for English ceilidh/ barn dance stuff .  I tend to play the same tunes on all three  and my repertoire  includes a fair amount of Scottish dance music, albeit played  with a slower more bouncy rhythm .   I find the little DG box fine even with the Scottish speed and rhythm PROVIDED I LEAVE THE BASS WELL ALONE! In other words I can play smoothly at a fair lick if I sort of pretend to be a fiddle.   I am then able to  keep the bellows very tight , usually no more than 6 inches open,  to provide maximum precision of the fast ins and outs.   To put it another way if you've got a drummer and  ,say, a bass guitar there's no point in having a dog and barking yourself

george >:E ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 03:32:51 PM »

Yep these differences can affect the sound & dynamics. I think mine is wet tuning but a few cents drier than the normal wet sound.

I think the size of the cabinet must play a role too. A few years ago, in New York state, listening at close quarters to a very good Irish BCC# player on a big Hohner, tuned a little drier than your box Daniel, I was amazed by the depth and richness of the sound. It really filled the room in a warm and completely non-strident way. Is it possible you just can't get that effect with smaller boxes?

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 04:06:39 PM »

I’ve certainly had some smaller boxes that are really strong 💪 sounding.
That’s not necessarily a good thing though , I’ve had some boxes where the bass was overwhelming the treble.
I suppose it’s all preference really and in the ear of the audience  :||:

Andy

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 05:32:15 PM »

Anyone else tried the new(ish) Serenellini Bocsa Dubh 'Ceilidh'  and  Bocsa Dubh 'Celtica' boxes. Both 3 row 34/60,
Ceilidh MMM
Celtica LMM

I've had a brief shot and they seemed nice. I did prefer the Celtica but the LMM v MMM issue is down to personal taste.

The new MENGASCINI 'Bocsa Dubh' 2 row 23/60 LMMM is something of a  halfway house between Melodeon and BCC# row. Haven't tried one but sort of lost interest when I realised the 60 Stradella bass was MIDI reedless. Fine for amplified performances and presumably nice and lightweight but not being able to just pick it up and play would be a big negative for me. All the same, anyone had a shot of one?

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 07:14:45 PM »

Hi Andy
Yep I’ve tried them , in fact there are some videos on Highland Accordions Facebook page.
I think Murray Balfour left room inside the reedless bass block so reeds could be fitted if required ,
Again it depends on what one likes..

Andy

• Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 08:30:21 PM »

Hi Andy
Yep I’ve tried them , in fact there are some videos on Highland Accordions Facebook page.
I think Murray Balfour left room inside the reedless bass block so reeds could be fitted if required ,
Again it depends on what one likes..
Sounds good. The Mengascini could be a good choice for any BC players frustrated by limits of the melodeon bass but put off by the size and weight of a big BCC# 3 row.

KLR

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 10:14:21 PM »

I’ve just been looking at a post with the title “If money was no object “
It’s an interesting one , the thing with three rows is that every make and model has differences & the players have different preferences of what they prefer in a box , so it can sometimes be difficult to get ones instrument one hundred percent.
I started of on a Zero sette eighty bass , then progressed onto a Gaelic ivs.
I continue from there with a small forty key Shand morino for the next 27 years until 2013.
From that point on I played Manfrini Instruments for a time , last year dealt away the Manfrini Artisan for a Fantini Sharino , which I felt was a higher quality instrument.
The point , is all these boxes are all good in their own right. It’s getting a decent model and getting it set up correctly for the player.

So after 27 years playing the Shand Morino I felt it time for a change  and shortly afterwards bought a  Manfrini  three row, which I found to be a great box.
A few alterations probably were required to set it up for the player.
The air bars were too small and the reed width on my Artisan was resulting in the box having to be played with a bit more power.
However these were things which could be corrected fairly easily.

I currently play the Fantini Sharino, of which I own two models.

Many players boycot these Sharino boxes as poor Morino copies , however I don’t think so.
I find them very high quality and sweet instruments to play.
They are a touch bulky but one can get used to that.
I don’t see myself ever owning a Shand Morino again as I’ve not much interest in older instruments, as highly engineered as they were , the majority of them are pretty worn now and to get a decent one is rare
The Hohner echo iv was one of my favourite Hohner instruments although I have to admit the Italian boxes just sound so much sweeter and have more depth to the bass than the Sharpness Of a Hohner instrument.

Well right or wrong these are my thoughts , I’m sure many won’t agree , perhaps some will 🙂
Howerever I’ll leave you with a link to some videos I’ve recorded for YouTube on the Sharino
 , I hope you enjoy the tunes 🎼
Thanks
Daniel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCypMa9XliN4ViWrYcFiQwVA
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal