Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low notes on a one row  (Read 390 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
  • Primo D/G, Hohner B/E,B/C.Liliputs D/G, C/F, Bb/Eb
Low notes on a one row
« on: June 21, 2018, 07:52:42 PM »

I pondered about the correct sub forum to post my questions in as they arise due to my lack of knowledge (Teaching and Learning) but concern the layout of a box and whether or not I should have a duplicate low note retuned to a note that is missing (Design, Construction and Repair).

In the end I've decided to post in Teaching and Learning because the technical aspect of my questions from a design or construction point of view is negligible. My lack of knowledge however, seemingly knows no bounds!

I recently bought a Hohner 1040 in C (see this thread for pictures and a video link to the box being played) which for those who don't recognise Hohner model numbers is best described as a one row, four bass Pokerwork. This lightweight growly little box is great fun to play and doesn't present the handling difficulties I experienced with a one row four stop that I borrowed for a week last year.

The lack of a second row to provide the low A of the C scale (on a G row it's the missing E) is enormously frustrating and this is spoiling my enjoyment of the box because so many tunes that I play use this note and substitutions aren't really that satisfying.

So my questions are: Why are there two low G's on the first two buttons, one pull and one push? Could I replace one of these with a low A and if so which one of them is least useful?

Finally, I apologise if this subject has been raised before but I tried searching the forum and found nothing.
Squeezing in the Isle of Oxney, Kent, UK

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Low notes on a one row
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 08:12:29 PM »

The pull G is there so that you can play a G7 chord on pull.  Many people do change it to something more useful for playing melodies
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 08:13:41 PM »

The convention is to replace the 1st button pull G with an A. Many one row boxes are tuned this way.
The logic is simply  that it keeps sequence of pull notes consistent, and A is pull in the other octaves.

On a LMMH 4 stop, you can get away with playing the A an octave higher instead of the missing low A, and nobody will notice if it's in the middle of a run of notes.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.fendragon.co.uk

Eshed

• Good talker
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:59:42 PM »

In harmonicas I actually like to keep the pull G, but change the push G to A. For me it was surprisingly intuitive.
Whatever you do, this A is a godsend.
I'm slowly improving.
If I've posted a video and you have advice that could help me improve faster, don't keep it to yourself! That's what replies and PMs are for :)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 10:52:39 PM »

I suppose a low push A means you can play an A minor chord, which would be novel on a C one-row.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.fendragon.co.uk

Rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 11:15:26 PM »

Very basically: English/Cajun - low G pull. Irish/Quebec - low A pull.
English and Cajun musicians would play in the second octave if they need A on the pull.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Eshed

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 09:00:41 AM »

I suppose a low push A means you can play an A minor chord, which would be novel on a C one-row.
Exactly!
I'm slowly improving.
If I've posted a video and you have advice that could help me improve faster, don't keep it to yourself! That's what replies and PMs are for :)

Shayne Kerr

• New Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 09:31:57 AM »

Hi this is my first post  (:). I have two four stop single rows one in D and one in C and both have the "low" notes. The D has G on the push and B on the pull for the bottom button and goes well with my lowest note on the fiddle which is G. The C box has F on the push and A on the pull for the bottom button. As a fiddle player I love the ability to play some of my favourite tunes on single row. I've also had the buttons modified with a wood strip trimmed with leather under them to stop them going below the fingerboard and this makes them a pleasure to play.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.