Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low notes on a one row  (Read 1346 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Low notes on a one row
« on: June 21, 2018, 07:52:42 PM »

I pondered about the correct sub forum to post my questions in as they arise due to my lack of knowledge (Teaching and Learning) but concern the layout of a box and whether or not I should have a duplicate low note retuned to a note that is missing (Design, Construction and Repair).

In the end I've decided to post in Teaching and Learning because the technical aspect of my questions from a design or construction point of view is negligible. My lack of knowledge however, seemingly knows no bounds!

I recently bought a Hohner 1040 in C (see this thread for pictures and a video link to the box being played) which for those who don't recognise Hohner model numbers is best described as a one row, four bass Pokerwork. This lightweight growly little box is great fun to play and doesn't present the handling difficulties I experienced with a one row four stop that I borrowed for a week last year.

The lack of a second row to provide the low A of the C scale (on a G row it's the missing E) is enormously frustrating and this is spoiling my enjoyment of the box because so many tunes that I play use this note and substitutions aren't really that satisfying.

So my questions are: Why are there two low G's on the first two buttons, one pull and one push? Could I replace one of these with a low A and if so which one of them is least useful?

Finally, I apologise if this subject has been raised before but I tried searching the forum and found nothing.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Low notes on a one row
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 08:12:29 PM »

The pull G is there so that you can play a G7 chord on pull.  Many people do change it to something more useful for playing melodies
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 08:13:41 PM »

The convention is to replace the 1st button pull G with an A. Many one row boxes are tuned this way.
The logic is simply  that it keeps sequence of pull notes consistent, and A is pull in the other octaves.

On a LMMH 4 stop, you can get away with playing the A an octave higher instead of the missing low A, and nobody will notice if it's in the middle of a run of notes.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:59:42 PM »

In harmonicas I actually like to keep the pull G, but change the push G to A. For me it was surprisingly intuitive.
Whatever you do, this A is a godsend.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 10:52:39 PM »

I suppose a low push A means you can play an A minor chord, which would be novel on a C one-row.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 11:15:26 PM »

Very basically: English/Cajun - low G pull. Irish/Quebec - low A pull.
English and Cajun musicians would play in the second octave if they need A on the pull.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 09:00:41 AM »

I suppose a low push A means you can play an A minor chord, which would be novel on a C one-row.
Exactly!
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Polkadot

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 09:31:57 AM »

Hi this is my first post  (:). I have two four stop single rows one in D and one in C and both have the "low" notes. The D has G on the push and B on the pull for the bottom button and goes well with my lowest note on the fiddle which is G. The C box has F on the push and A on the pull for the bottom button. As a fiddle player I love the ability to play some of my favourite tunes on single row. I've also had the buttons modified with a wood strip trimmed with leather under them to stop them going below the fingerboard and this makes them a pleasure to play.
I never met a melodeon I didn't want.
As my Dad used to say...
HA 114 D G C and A
BC Pokerwork, Double Ray and Double Ray Delux.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal