Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tankards  (Read 5430 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Tankards
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2018, 11:34:13 PM »

Mine came from a car boot sale and cost me £1. It has a patina only aquired through age.

Edit: There are a lot on ebay. The prices vary a lot but there are some bargains to be had for less than a tenner if you search for  soonest ending.
e.g., https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pinder-Bros-Sheffield-pewter-tankard/192571219846?hash=item2cd6239f86:g:qysAAOSwg35apUv6

As a Sheffield resident, I am really proud to recommend Pinders for traditional pewter and silversmith ware. A long-established firm. If you want quality, that's the place to buy from.
http://www.pinder.co.uk

Absolutely. The one I linked to looked very nice. It didn't sell. Only a fiver.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2018, 06:46:50 AM »

You will fail your proper folkie exam unless you, to quote Les Barker, are a 'hombre with pewter hung
low on your hip', mind you in the same poem he refers to the "Cecil Sharp Stormtroopers"  :M

Please, tell us which pome. I have scanned his website (and others) in an attempt to find it, with no success...

Ta.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:48:42 AM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2018, 09:06:00 AM »

I find that I usually get free use of a glass from most pubs.  I fail to see the advantage of carting about a personal mug to avoid the use of this free resource.

Ah Chris... you are but a novice in the ways of the morris*.  The personal tankard has many, many advantages. The main ones that spring to mind are, when everyone's dancing and playing the drinks get put down and how better to tell which is yours than having it in a distinctive drinking vessel?  This is particularly advantageous if you happen to be in a side with someone who uses the ' the one with the most in is mine' rule.  Particularly if that person is the Squire.  Equally if you're moving between pubs and you've still got a fullish drink not having to neck the lot in order to return the glass is an advantage, and finally - obviously this is our secret,right? If you're a bit of a lightweight then it helps regulate your drinking - taking the beer with you etc. and no one needs to know how quickly, or not, it's disappearing. Particularly useful if you need to be relied upon to play reliable and you're with a team who are fond of plying you with ale.   

I also like to think we are ahead of the curve - festivals are now encouraging you to bring a reusable drinking vessel and take advantage of water refill points (or taps as we used to call them) instead of using bottled water.  See, we are soooooo ahead of the game there  :M ;)

*luckily you've fallen in with just the bunch of idiots to enlighten you.

I do have a reusable vessel to keep my preferred brew.  That brew is a double espresso.  I feel obliged to drink beer at sessions held in pubs as I view this as a reasonable fee for the use of premises.  Sadly I find that my capacity to play, especially on my own or in small groups in public, is impaired by even quite small doses of alcohol.  Oddly this does not affect my guitar in the same way.  This may have to do with having played the guitar for well over fifty years, and the melodeon, seriously for just under one year.

If I do find that I wish to review this I shall get a mug of some sort, although I doubt I shall.  My capacity for alcohol seems to be diminishing with the passing years.  God knows what I’ll be able to take when I’m 80, assuming I don’t peg it.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2018, 09:10:31 AM »

I feel obliged to drink beer at sessions held in pubs as I view this as a reasonable fee for the use of premises.

I drink lime and soda, this probably pays the landlord more in profit than you pint of beer.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2018, 09:28:57 AM »

I feel obliged to drink beer at sessions held in pubs as I view this as a reasonable fee for the use of premises.

I drink lime and soda, this probably pays the landlord more in profit than you pint of beer.

There are limits to my range.  Lime & soda falls just outside.  I also buy pork scratchings, I’m guessing there’s a fair bit of profit on them.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2018, 08:31:40 AM »

Well it's now purchased and arrived. I bought new in the end.
It's going to be used for the 18th century picnics I'm going to.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal