Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tankards  (Read 5431 times)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Tankards
« on: June 24, 2018, 12:21:49 PM »

I'm looking to buy a pewter tankard and I thought if anyone knew where to get one it would be you all.
They seem to be approx. £30 on amazon is that a comparative price?

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Re: Tankards
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 12:26:06 PM »

There's a selection here, if you'd like to compare.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 12:50:14 PM »

Local charity shops are usually a good source at cheaper price

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 01:29:47 PM »

Mine came from a car boot sale and cost me £1. It has a patina only aquired through age.

Edit: There are a lot on ebay. The prices vary a lot but there are some bargains to be had for less than a tenner if you search for  soonest ending.
e.g., https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pinder-Bros-Sheffield-pewter-tankard/192571219846?hash=item2cd6239f86:g:qysAAOSwg35apUv6
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:52:55 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 01:42:55 PM »

Bill Sables always used to have a box of tankards when he ran a stall at Whitby, and they all came from charity shops. I bought a couple off him, but people accused me of being a Morris dancer, so I got rid of them again.

Sir John

(Getting my coat; now)
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 02:44:30 PM »

Pete Grasby usually has a few on his stall.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 02:54:07 PM »

New tankards will always remain silvery and shiny due to the absence of the lead component of "real" pewter.  This is probably not a bad thing in a drinking vessel.  I was horrified when someone used one of my old ones to drink orange juice - the acid cleaned it beautifully, but I dread to think what they drank!

Bearing that in mind, the stainless variety have quite an appeal, especially if they are leather covered.

Rob.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 03:10:13 PM »

New tankards will always remain silvery and shiny due to the absence of the lead component of "real" pewter.  This is probably not a bad thing in a drinking vessel.  I was horrified when someone used one of my old ones to drink orange juice - the acid cleaned it beautifully, but I dread to think what they drank!

Bearing that in mind, the stainless variety have quite an appeal, especially if they are leather covered.

Rob.
I'd like to be able to drink from it without getting lead poisoning so I'm thinking a new one is my best bet.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 03:26:52 PM »

Rob.
I'd like to be able to drink from it without getting lead poisoning so I'm thinking a new one is my best bet.

I believe the risk of lead poisoning from an old pewter pot is slim to non-existant, unless you polish the patina off.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 03:33:18 PM »

Note that a lot of tankards are 500ml not a pint. And pint tankards seem often to be exactly a pint to the brim, so you struggle to get a full pint in.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

MartinW

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 03:37:32 PM »

I understand that in the UK pewter has not contained lead since the mid 1970s.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 03:58:16 PM »

Even with the surface polished, I cannot image anyone using it enough to get lead poisoning. I'm 67 and have been drinking water which has run through lead pipes for almost all of that time; and I'm still here! Hurrah!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 04:04:25 PM »

It will contain a non alcoholic beverage so having it not quite a pint is fine.  ;)

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 04:10:26 PM »

Even with the surface polished, I cannot image anyone using it enough to get lead poisoning. I'm 67 and have been drinking water which has run through lead pipes for almost all of that time; and I'm still here! Hurrah!
Classic statistical bias. The people who died from lead poisoning cannot post on forums.  :D
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 04:20:49 PM »

Yes but it's made your arms shorter, and your pockets deeper  >:E  ;D ;D ;D ;D

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 04:49:15 PM »

Local charity shops are usually a good source at cheaper price

Yep.  Check 'em out. We buy lots that way.  Either old and interesting ones or brand new ones to give to our morris mates when they lose theirs. The normals buy them for each other as best man gifts etc. And the end up, unused in charity shops.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 04:57:55 PM »

...The normals buy them for each other as best man gifts etc...

Lovely term - 'normals'...

Mine was a leaving present when I left work to go to college full-time in 1968. It has a nice 'lived-in look',
including dents in the bottom from when I used to use it with screwdriver to bash open reluctant 'Party 7's
at student parties. It has risen phoenix-like from the ashes since I became a Morriser. Hooray...

Roger
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Ray

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 05:52:16 PM »

Avoid charity shop buys - They're cheap but they always tend to develop a distinct weird flavour.

I would completely recommend getting one from Wentworth Pewter, they're a small business local to Sheffield that makes handmade Pewter tankards to a fantastic quality. Anywhere from £24 to £100 depending on what you want to get.

https://www.wentworth-pewter.com/

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 06:21:07 PM »

It will contain a non alcoholic beverage so having it not quite a pint is fine.  ;)

A non-alcoholic beverage is likely to have a lower pH and might cause more lead issues than beer.

FWIW my old pewter mug has not got an unpleasant taste and never has had.
Greg Smith

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 06:22:07 PM »

Make sure you get a glass bottom. You don't want to be press ganged!
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal