Poll

Do you belong to a Morris side?

Yes
- 69 (65.1%)
No
- 37 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How Many of Us Morris?  (Read 22365 times)

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
Re: How Many of Us Morris?
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 03:45:58 PM »

I started off playing melodeon for a northwest clog team when I was 12! I left them (sussex spinning jenny) to play for a Cotswold team called Daisy roots, based in hastings. In 2003 they split up and formed a new team called Oojah Kappivvy (don't ask!). I played for them until 2006 when I moved to Newcastle Upon Tyne and started dancing with the Newcastle Kingsmen rapper team. I also play for a couple of womens rapper teams and Tyne Bridge clog in Newcastle.
I have also danced some cotswold, and basic clog before.
I've played for many other teams here and there as a kind of adopted or emergency musician.
Faversham, Kent

trombonetom

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 05:26:55 PM »

Spinning jenny came up here on a canal boat last summer dancing season (I think)

Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend.

Mikefule

• New Starter
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 09:13:11 AM »

I joined Dolphin Morris Men (Nottingham) in 1983.  I've been Fool since 1987*.  I sometimes play harmonica for the dancing, especially for solo jigs, and I very rarely melodeon for the dancing.  I hope to play Anglo concertina for the dancing occasionally during the 2008 season.

*20 years and no bl**dy engraved tankard!

tim54

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 09:39:06 AM »

Hi all,

I've had 20 years playing for The Maids of Clifton, a North West side based in Nottingham. Tunes are mainly English marches, polkas and the occasional French tune.

Happy New Year.

Tim

Chris Armstrong

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 12:54:04 PM »

Started dancing Morris in 1972 with Heston Boys Morris (Cotswold, Flamborough Sword), a school side started by Tony Peagram who had been involved with morris and country dancing since the 1940's. Played a bit of harmonica and drum.

Formed Heston Morris Men(foreman) in 1977-80 well we grew up!

Joined Datchet Morris Men 1980-2000 (Cotswold,Rapper, Longsword, Mumming). In 1991 was instrumental in change of style to Border style. First dalliance with writing dances.
Played bass drum for Taeppas Tump (ladies northwest) for two years.

Moved to Eastbourne 1999 and bought my first melodeon, an Erica. Joined Old Star Morris (Mixed Border) as foreman and stood behind their lead melodeon player whilst serving my melodeon apprenticeship.

In 2001 I set up a new border morris side after one of those 'political side break up's' www.huntersmoonmorris.co.uk www.myspace.com/huntersmoonmorris where I am lead melodeon. Don't dance as much morris as i should do, but love my melodeon playing.
In my spare time!! I sing traditional english songs and play drums for two traditional music dance bands.

Also, suffer with MAD as many of you do to!!

Latest count 7
Erica d/g
Lilly d/g
Beltuna sara d/g
Hohner s/row 4 stop c
Hohner s/row 2 stop d
Hohner s/row g (on loan to another member of the side)
Meteor (East German box in bits)

Wow, I have just realised that's nearly 35 years of morris and music not bad for a youngster of 46.

Chris
Beltuna Sara, Hohner Erica D/G, Hohner Single Row 4-Stop C,3 Stop D,
7 Champ & Longman Morris dancer Muso
www.myspace.com/christhemorrisman

Delboy

• Saltarelle, Dino Baffetti, Streb, Hohner
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 08:53:21 PM »

I've been with Thelwall MM for about 25 year. These days I stick to playing melodeon as arthritis stopped me dancing about 5 years ago.
On balance though, I think I prefer playing to dancing.

Howard Mitchell

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 05:41:51 PM »

I joined the Beaux of London City in 1970 and learned the melodeon and anglo in the early 70s. Moved to Hitchin in 1975 and joined the Bedford Morris Men, added B/C/C# accordion for a while but never really got on with it and baritone horn for North West. Then moved to Manchester in 1986, had a year with Stockport Morris before joining the Manchester Morris Men and later becoming their bandmaster.  Moved to Derby in 1999 and had 1 season with Winster but I haven't joined any side permanently. Still play with Manchester on occasions and with other sides when asked.

Mitch 

Dunny

• Regular debater
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 10:31:26 PM »

I'm a previous member of Ilmington, dancer and musician and I'm currently one of the musicians with Shakespeare.

Also I run the Tredington Mummers and I'm a member of the Shakespeare Mummers ( I get to wear a frock at least once a year!) ;D

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2008, 09:51:36 PM »

I've been a member of Winchester MM for 10+ years, once as a dancer, latterly only as a musician alas.  Prior to that I was in Dublin City and before that Red Stags.  I'll be playing for some of the sessions at the Ring Jigs Instructional next weekend, but probably fiddling rather than squeezing, perhaps I'll see a few of you there.

Revles

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 05:16:20 PM »

Have been invited to go and watch the 'Offcumdens'.a branch of the Deal 'Hoodeners' with whom I play............it's their practice night.......so we'll see how it goes..you never know.Les.

DaveW

• Regular debater
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2008, 12:56:22 PM »

I belong to East Kent Morris Men aka EKMM. Since 8 years I think, dancer less and less, melodeon player more and more. We are looking for recruits to bring down the average age. Two years ago it was 60+ but now we have a few young men coming along. We also have women musicians. Google EKMM to see our site (discard the entries for East Kent Morris Minor Club). We practice in Ashford (Kent) for those intending.

DaveW

ps I have been waiting for those persons curious to enquire what my avatar is. No takers so far so I will confide to the english morris community that it is an iceing sugar representation of  'Invicta' the hooden horse of Kent _ Hoorah_  ;D ;D. Did you Hop-Hoodeners want to know that?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:06:15 PM by DaveW »
DaveW

Paolo Soprani b/c/c#, V Soprani b/c, Hohner Compadre adg, Roland FR-18, Hohner Merlin d/g

Robin Harrison

• Good talker
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 04:33:28 PM »

I'm Musician for the Toronto Morris Men and danced for Thames Valley international before that ( and used to dance for Greensleeves when a student in London,England)
             Robin

Hi Gus.......glad to see you here !

Pushpull

• Regular debater
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 05:35:39 PM »

We are looking for recruits to bring down the average age.

Hmm you too, eh?

Roy.

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2008, 07:05:54 PM »

ps I have been waiting for those persons curious to enquire what my avatar is. No takers so far so I will confide to the english morris community that it is an iceing sugar representation of  'Invicta' the hooden horse of Kent _ Hoorah_  ;D ;D. Did you Hop-Hoodeners want to know that?

I had a rough idea what that was, coming from Sussex myself, and up until 2006 spending a lot of time with morris teams in Kent. Didn't realise it was made from icing sugar though!
Faversham, Kent

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2008, 10:15:11 PM »

I always thought "Invicta" was a locomotive!
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

oldclubII

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2008, 03:30:25 AM »

It's actually a watch...

http://www.invictawatch.com/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 03:32:56 AM by oldclubII »

DaveW

• Regular debater
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2008, 05:47:02 PM »

You're right, the iron version is in the Farmers market near East Station. Supposed to outdate 'The Rocket', but I don't think that's true. There was Ferry of the same name - all 'Undefeated'
DaveW

Paolo Soprani b/c/c#, V Soprani b/c, Hohner Compadre adg, Roland FR-18, Hohner Merlin d/g

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2008, 01:52:24 PM »

Yes,

Like so many of us tarts, especially Musos, play for Basingclog (North west) and Hook (Border) with different boxes for each.

P.S. picked up some part time work for Customs and Exiles (NW + Border)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:18:33 PM by Rob2Hook »

Peter Brook

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2008, 10:15:09 PM »

You're right, the iron version is in the Farmers market near East Station. Supposed to outdate 'The Rocket', but I don't think that's true. There was Ferry of the same name - all 'Undefeated'

OFF TOPIC

The first passenger railway service in the UK ran from Canterbury to Whitstable. The "train" consisted of passenger and freight carriages and was pulled by two powerful stationary steam engines and a series of ropes and pulleys.  This included passing through at least one tunnel. "Invicta" was hitched on when the reach of this system ran out and pulled the "train" for the last mile or two into Whitstable. George Stevenson was of course the engineer at the centre of all this.

"Invicta" does mean unconquered or undefeated which is meant to refer to the fact that Rome did not conquer the main indigenous tribe of Kent but signed a peace treaty. The White horse was the emblem of the tribe - now the emblem of Kent.

:)

Now back to melodeons....

Peter_T

• Good talker
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 12:57:49 PM »

Dance with Mad Hatter Morris, Peasmarsh, near Guildford, Surrey. Don't yet play for them. I probably got the melodeon before I started dancing Morris, but it seems to take longer....

D/G Pokerwork, perfectly dreadful Scholer G/D Anglo, guitars, harmonicas, etc
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal