Poll

Do you belong to a Morris side?

Yes
- 69 (65.1%)
No
- 37 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How Many of Us Morris?  (Read 22362 times)

Andy Simpson

Re: How Many of Us Morris?
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2011, 10:11:32 PM »

None of the 20-odd people who answered no have chimed in yet so allow me to be the first...  ;D

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2011, 10:28:56 PM »

I don't belong to any morris side. Not my thaang really.

This thread aught to be called morris anonymous.

Malcolm

• Respected Sage
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2011, 10:29:37 PM »

Just answered No to the questionairre(?) as my dancing days are long over and I now play just for the hell of it - and, no, there isn't a morris/border/clog/molly/rapper/whatever side called Just For The Hell Of it.  At least not as far as I am aware......?
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (My first box). Hohner Pokerwork C/F (Thanks to Martyn White). Hohner 4 Stops in G (My Minehead Box), D & C. Hohner Erikas in D/G & Bb/Eb (Thanks to Mike Rowbottom & Martyn White). Saltarelle Berry D/G (The token Costalotti) and a G/C Hohner Corso (wetter than an English summer)

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2011, 10:46:59 PM »

Am learning to play for dance with Aynho Apricots and the very new Adderbury 'Sharp and Blunt' side........should cause a slight stir at the Adderbury Day of Dance this Saturday !!......maybe due to cake offerings  :P
 (:)

Martyn

• Respected Sage
  • Hohnerohner
    • Martyn White Melodeon Tuning and Repairs
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2011, 10:59:34 PM »

I play anglo concertina and melodeon for the Chelmsford Morris Men's side  (Cotswold in the summer, Border in the winter)  and the Ladies North-West clog and step clog sides.

:||: :M :M :M :M :M :M

Martyn
www.melodeonrepairs.co.uk
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:05:03 PM by martyn »
'Anything from a small repair to a full restoration'.
www.melodeonrepairs.co.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2011, 02:05:36 AM »

Technically a 'no' at present, but I danced or played variously with Sallyport, Newcastle, "Whitby Scratch", Mersey, Morton Bay (Oz) and Mockbegger over 20 years.

None of the 20-odd people who answered no have chimed in yet so allow me to be the first...  ;D

.. Two of us now  :|glug
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:03:21 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2011, 08:06:05 AM »

I've just started to play for Leeds Morris Men (Cotswold), which I absolutely love.  My only regret is that I didn't start sooner.  Once I have got my head around all the tunes, I rather fancy learning to dance too, as I know that would improve my playing.
Steve from Wakefield

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2011, 09:39:35 AM »

Sandy - As I open my emails, I've just recieved notes for a workshop this weekend with Roy Dommett, one of his notes are about the Adderbury 'Sharp and Blunt' era. Have litterally just got the info, haven't read it yet so unsure of contents, but somewhat taken back by the coincidence!
Has Roy had any involvement or input with the new side?
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

rmenhinick

• Regular debater
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2011, 10:21:58 AM »

I play with Fleet Morris - they came to the rescue when I was looking around for a melodeon teacher to get me started. I spotted Fleet Morris (Ladies Cotswold Side) at Fleet (Christmas) Festivities a couple of years ago and noted that they had two melodeon players, so I emailed the side and asked if they would put me in contact with the players. They suggested that I come along to a practice and just join in so I did - initially with my PA.

I quickly learned that despite being able to play every tune on the PA, I could only play it in Cmaj and they played everything in G/D :( So bought a Pokerwork and took flight with the melodeon! After three months or so I was deemed fit to play out with the side as long as I kept the volume (and speed) down :-\

Learning with a Morris Band has been ideal for me because
  • the tunes are generally fairly familiar and relatively simple to pick up,
  • playing with other musicians keeps you to time and covers up the bits you're not sure of (provided you go quiet in those bits ;))
  • playing with other melodeon players allows you to see as well as hear what they are playing
  • playing in public sharpens the concentration and keeps you focussed.
I'm now confident enough to go and play the occasional pub session and have been made very welcome when I've 'crashed' sessions while away on holiday in Devon & Cornwall. As a keen folk singer I'm now trying to play and sing (tricky, as another thread on here will testify ::)) so I can make a contribution at some of the local folk and acoustic clubs.
Old G Poker, New DG Poker, ADG Compadre, DG Sandpiper, CF Erica, GC Delicia Popular, DG Dino Baffetti Black Pearl 3, Casali Verona 48 bass PA, (Squeezebox Squirrel :D)

Chris Brimley

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2011, 10:25:04 AM »

I played for a ladies' clog side many, many, many years ago, not since.

Almo - 'Tight Squeeze' - great name!

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2011, 11:35:33 AM »

I think your poll will be a bit skewed as I am only the second thread contributor who doesn't play for a team ?  I therefore voted no.....
BUT, I have played and guested for quite a lot of teams if I'm around and they are missing a player - so not really a morris man but I do like going to ales   ;D  Does that qualify ?  ;)
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Albert

« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2011, 12:07:30 PM »

I play for On The Border Morris in Burlington Vermont and am, help us all, squire.  Fifteen years ago I played for Mountain Top Morris from Lincoln Vermont in the Green Mountains.

Keithypete.

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2011, 01:06:33 PM »

I have danced with, and played for Bunnies from Hell for 17 years - not quite from their inception.

We practice once a year wether We need to or not. Very much looking forward to Easter Bunnies now.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2011, 02:48:29 PM »

Sandy - As I open my emails, I've just recieved notes for a workshop this weekend with Roy Dommett, one of his notes are about the Adderbury 'Sharp and Blunt' era. Have litterally just got the info, haven't read it yet so unsure of contents, but somewhat taken back by the coincidence!
Has Roy had any involvement or input with the new side?
Q

Interesting!. Would like to hear about it. I don't think Roy has had any input or involvement with the new side. As far as I know, there were a few local ladies who wanted to start a ladies morris side in the village. Most members are new to the morris scene since last year including myself.......which is why I probably had to google Roy Dommett  :|bl
Anyway, thanks for that Q
cheers
Sandy.........very much looking forward to our first Day of Dance  :M :|glug :|||:

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2011, 03:03:01 PM »

Interesting!. Would like to hear about it. I don't think Roy has had any input or involvement with the new side.

"The last time Adderbury Morris Men danced was around 1880, but the dances were not noted down until the 1st World War when Miss Janet Blunt, whom older residents may remember, secured them from Mr Walton. She in turn, notified Cecil Sharp, a prominent folk song and dance collector, who also made an effort to collect some of the dances from him."
(from your parish magazine 1975 - according to Morris Ring Web Site)

So that's where the name comes from. I was interested, because I'd never hard of Janet Blunt either.
Went to an Adderbury DoD several years ago - deffo only the two men's teams then!

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2011, 03:46:29 PM »

I'll have a chat with Roy at some point ( or more likely he''ll let us know what's going on where in the morris world! )
and report back. For those who don't know, Roy Dommett in the early 70's started workshops, usually with Tubby Renolds in tow as they were really worried that the morris would fall away. He's a modern version of Sharp, collecting source material whenever possible, or analysing collected stuff. Now an older gentleman, and in poor health, last did a workshop 10 years ago in California. After our 40th Anniversay bash last year where he was guest of honour, has rejouvenated himself and wants to do a limited series of workshops.....starting with our event this weekend. I did put it in the 'Events' listing by the way.
Will stop now or else will thread drift ( sorry peeps! ) PM me if anyone wants any more of my ramblings about Roy.
Most importantly - Good luck with the new side Sandy, and most of all .....enjoy!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Noodle

• Louder is better, right?
  • Regular debater
  • Occasionally actually helpful
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2011, 04:25:57 PM »

and a Border side - who shall remain nameless....

Almo

This makes me wonder...

Anyway, I joined Black Pig Border Morris in around October last year. Started learning melodeon around December. I dance and play. Bit of useless trivia, my Dad's a founding member.

Sergeant Musgraves, Northwest a couple of months ago. Both dances and tunes are a little more complex... I do both. Well, try to.

Bunnies From Hell. Cotswold. Been going to practices for years as my parents have both danced for them. Just started playing for them. You won't catch me dancing Cotswold any time soon!

I shall be going to the next Stone Monkey rapper practice to see if I'm cut out for dancing.
Nottingham, UK.

Hohners: HA114 (C), HA114 (G)*, Liliput (C/F), Preciosa (C/F)*, 1040 (G), Imperial. Dino Baffetti Binci III (D/G), Self-made Pariselle 2.6 (G/C), Soberano (C/F), Nopka garmoshka (F#)*.

One day I'll get really good, like those really good players. One day.
*to be fixed

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2011, 06:51:54 PM »

Interesting!. Would like to hear about it. I don't think Roy has had any input or involvement with the new side.

"The last time Adderbury Morris Men danced was around 1880, but the dances were not noted down until the 1st World War when Miss Janet Blunt, whom older residents may remember, secured them from Mr Walton. She in turn, notified Cecil Sharp, a prominent folk song and dance collector, who also made an effort to collect some of the dances from him."
(from your parish magazine 1975 - according to Morris Ring Web Site)

So that's where the name comes from. I was interested, because I'd never hard of Janet Blunt either.
Went to an Adderbury DoD several years ago - deffo only the two men's teams then!

whoops. I thought Q was referring to the new side rather than the 'era' that I've just spotted.  :|bl We must not forget Wynnie Wyatt either who saved all the Adderbury documentation from a fire after Janet Blunt had died.

cheers
Sandy......(not quite with it today  ::))

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2011, 07:54:55 PM »

I've clicked on the Adderbury link ( seems a 'slow' day for me too ) . In the notations 'RD' is Roy Dommett, the hint is that some of the original material is from him, and of course Tim Radford started the first revival side.
Tim's daughter plays for us when babies permit. Small world!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

pokerwork50

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2011, 08:36:06 PM »

Hi,
I dance and play for a newish border side...Bacchus Border Morris.
See us at Rochester Sweeps this year!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal