Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metronome app?  (Read 1897 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Metronome app?
« on: June 24, 2018, 08:16:19 PM »

Hi all,
For all those electronic metronome users out there, just wondering which app you use?
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
Re: Metronome app?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 09:10:33 PM »

I got the one Anne Niepold was using yesterday - Tempo. It's available on Android as well as the iPhone version she showed us.

Obvs haven't actually started using it but I liked the stuff I saw in the demonstration. Hope you had a good journey home... it was probably much quicker than ours, nearly four hours but totally worth it.

Will probably see you in the Blackmore gardens :)
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Roger Howard

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 09:13:36 PM »

Pro Metronome by EUMLab for iPad. TempoPerfect for Mac. Both free.

Rger
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:07:02 AM by Roger Howard »
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 07:52:05 AM »

Helena - yes I wrote down 'Tempo' after asking Anne but then it seems there's a lot of similar named apps when home and taking a look.
If you saw it on her phone, any ideas of specifically which one?

Yes, ours was an easy trip as we were against the flow so flew home....until we met a combine harvester about 3 miles from home on a twisty road with a huge front cutter on it. The queue of cars behind me thought they could just tuck into the hedge so was prompted to get out of the car and wave manically to get the growing queue to *all* reverse backwards.
Reverse - the gear a lot have no idea where to find........

Roger: OK will take a look at that one too. Thanks for that.
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Roger Howard

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 09:07:52 AM »

Milleret and Pignol recommend a "drum machine" called Hydrogen (https://sourceforge.net/projects/hydrogen). I had a look at it and found it far too complex for little me.  :|bl

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 09:53:03 AM »

yeah, having glanced through some apps last night I found the choice bewildering. Some even buzzing so as a drummer you get a buzz on the beat. I can believe some, like that, are just too much for our needs.
Anne, our tutor at the weekend, had a simple 'tick tock' type app but with the advantage that if you wanted to -say- emphasise beats 1&3 in a 4 beat bar, the app allowed a 'big tick and little tock' !!! if that makes any sort of sense!
Q
still mind blown after the workshop weekend!
Thrupenny Bit

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 10:59:21 AM »

I use Metronome Go, and find it adequate to my needs

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

ProperTing

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 11:55:58 AM »

Pro Metronome by EUMLab.
Pariselle, Paolo Soprani & Hohner

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 12:18:57 PM »

I use a free app called Smart Chord, which has a metronome as well as various other useful functions such as pitch pipes, chords etc.
Marje

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 12:25:01 PM »

This is frozen ape's Tempo Ap. It's one of the best. Not free, but better than  most.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tempo-metronome/id304731501?mt=8

and this is the android version

http://www.frozenape.com/tempoandroid-metronome.html

Edit:This is almost certainly the one you asked about.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:47:37 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »

I’ve got Metronome + from Dynamic Design.  I must say I only use it for odd rhythms 7/8 etc. for which it is most helpful.  I haven’t used any other, this seems to do all I could imagine needing.  ‘Course my imagination may be more limited than others.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »

I don't use a smartphone, but I've messed around with metronomes for years, with varying levels of success and disappointment.  I don't like the tones that the metronomes make.  In the end I bought an inexpensive programmable drum machine so that I could lay down accompaniment loops that sound a little bit like what a competent bodhran player might do to accompany a reel, a jig, a slide or a polka and so on.  It's tedious to write a loop but if I get it right it's there for ever and quickly accessible. 

It's still no substitute for being able to keep time and form phrases "instinctively", and paradoxically, that's something I could only learn to do without any accompaniment at all.
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

-Y-

• Handry 18 (G/C), Mélodie (D), Club IIb (A/D)
    • a database of 400 or more melodeons here
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 11:04:40 PM »

I use Metronomerous on Android. It's quite versatile: whether you just want a click or a more complex pattern it does it. And it has multiple sounds.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 07:42:21 AM »

boxer: All three of our tutors said they used metronomes and made the point that it keeps you tight on the beat and makes you aware of those speeding up areas so you can consciously rein the tune in. They all admitted the tricky bits of the tune are where we all speed up - them included - so  using a metronome keep you steady.
One of our tutors who used the app showed she could simply alter the sound to give different tones on whichver beat she wanted to emphasise.
I thought it worth pursuing as it was unanimously agreed on, and anything that will keep me on track is worth a go.
Especially if it's a free app!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 08:26:50 AM »

I'm old fashioned. I use a mechanical clockwork one. Nice loud ding on the beat. Never runs out of batteries, or anything.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 08:33:56 AM »

I spent a happy (?) half hour playing around with my metronome -which has a useful light display as well as sound, whilst practicing a Breton kost ar c'hoat tune. Needs a really strict rhythm if used for the dance. Very helpful as I could try out sticking to different speeds, but of course applying it when I played it in the session after a beer was another problem. Don't think the locals would have appreciated the sound of my metronome - though I suppose I could have used an earphone !

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Jozz

• Good talker
  • Greetings from the Netherlands!
    • Stichting Bon Artz
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »

Android : Natural Metronome

free and I needed the visualization

also has beats p/bar and clicks p/beat with different sounds accordingly
Stichting Bon Artz - We present and support authentic music and small-scale performance arts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal