Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shrewsbury folk festival 2018  (Read 2033 times)

george garside

shrewsbury folk festival 2018
« on: June 25, 2018, 01:50:43 PM »

Shrewsbury folk festival august bank holiday weekend ( see website for full info on this great festival)

I will be leading a series of 5 DG specific workshops  2 sat morning, 2 sunday morning and one ( a so called masterclass) on Monday morning.

The workshops will be progressive  but I  may have to adjust the programme depending on the experience and skill of the participants.  However the general plan will beon the lines of.

workshop 1.  This will NOT be an absolute beginners workshop  (but absolute beginners are very welcome to come along and  hopefully pick up some useful stuff they can apply later and to generally 'soak up some melodeon stuff  and meet other players))  We will  start off by playing a very well known tune together  as a sort of ice breaker  and because its a fun thing to do.  This will be followed by some discussion and demonstration ( not necessarily by me) of basic techniques and exchange of ideas on such matters.  All being well we will  then make a start on getting the basic hang of  a lively but relatively easy 4 button English tune.

Workshop 2. Which follows directly after workshop 1!  In this we will continue our efforts on the tune started in workshop 1 , with hopefully any good players helping those  who are less experienced  .  Following perhaps a bit more discussion on technique  we may have a crack at the second tune  which will not be English or indeed British but is a cracking tune for English ceilidh/ barn dance or session playing.  This will be  a bit more complex than the 4 button tune  but is nor unduly difficult to get the hang of in basic form.

Workshop 3.We  will mostly be spent consolidating  the 2 tunes and bring them a bit nearer to 'performanace' standard.  All being well we will have time to introduce tune 3 which will be a waltz of English origin.

Workshop 4 .  We will ,all being well  , make some progress with tune 3  and then start to add some interesting  additions to all three tunes  i.e move away from playing the tight notes in the right order to playing the tunes  with 'musicality'   . Some will  get the hang of this fairly quickly whilst others will have the knowledge to apply a bit further in their playing career

Workshop 5, The so called   'master class'  will ,in the main, enable us to  further develop advanced techniques using the 3 tunes  and if time permits will  enable us to have a general discussion and exchange of ideas on how to add musicality to our playing.

That's the general idea but obviously I may have to make adjustments here and there depending on how we progress.

And before anybody asks I  will not be revealing the names of the 3 tunes in advance  so that everybody has a level playing field so to speak.

The workshops will hopefully be  fun and whilst I will not be able to slow things down to absolute beginers level  I will  certainly not be catering for smart arses who   would perhaps be better running their  own workshops.!

george ;) :||: :|||:
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

george garside

Re: shrewsbury folk festival 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 06:50:19 PM »

As far as I am aware 'day tickets' for Shrewsbury folk festival are now sold out but weekend tickets with or without camping are still available see festival website

george

george garside

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 09:43:51 AM »

There are still some weekend tickets ( with or without camping) for this festival which is  all on one site .

george

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 09:22:56 AM »

Looking at the festival programme which has just arrived, the Melodeon 'masterclass' looks interesting - nice and early start as well, with plenty of time to head back to town for a lunchtime session afterwards. Unfortunately the prog doesn't give more information about it which is a pity  (I'd already ruled myself out of George's workshops following his excellent outline and having noted the last lines...not that I fall into that category in any way ! ::))

J

Old Bones Dance Band

tiny

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 07:22:30 PM »

I'm going to Shrewsbury. Please say hello if you see me.  (:)
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

george garside

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 12:15:21 PM »

Looking at the festival programme which has just arrived, the Melodeon 'masterclass' looks interesting - nice and early start as well, with plenty of time to head back to town for a lunchtime session afterwards. Unfortunately the prog doesn't give more information about it which is a pity  (I'd already ruled myself out of George's workshops following his excellent outline and having noted the last lines...not that I fall into that category in any way ! ::))

J
;) ;D

G

tiny

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 03:18:52 PM »

Wonderful festival, great time.  Now I have that post festival feeling ! 

John Spiers and Peter Knight, what dreams are made of:  totally professional, perfection and fabulous. What you go to a festival for...in my mind  (:)

lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 03:56:24 PM »

A thoroughly enjoyable weekend playing for Customs & Exiles and soaking up the vibe.  The highlight for me was Ben Moss and Hazel Askew's contemporary/Morris dance spot "The Year Turns Round Again".  Bloody marvellous.
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 04:16:04 PM »

Yep. Some outstanding performances, and great new discoveries. And several new tunes to learn (including a whole Tunebook from Snaarmaarwaar)once my sore finger is better !
 It'll be interesting to see how The Year Turns Round Again develops - one of the high spots.
And we even braved the closing night session... :|glug

J
Old Bones Dance Band
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal