Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Morris box !  (Read 3898 times)

Robin Harrison

• Good talker
Great Morris box !
« on: June 25, 2018, 05:42:27 PM »

Just scored by complete luck and happenstance a virtually unused melodeon .
    Silvetta.....GCF.....as new condition,unplayed really ......loudest box I've ever played I think .......a great sound (most of which is lost on my iphone recording.) Full, rich and bright.
      Never heard of the make before but I played it for maybe 30 seconds and pounced on it.
We usually dance to one musician and so key is not an issue so the GCF is fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EArRVQUMyTk

So 2 questions.....any information about Silvetta ?

It's obviously not a top-of -the-line box but is made in Germany and very well constructed, plays well if a little firm on the action which is also high for me. I'll lower it somewhat but for Morris the firm action is really not an issue.
     Second........stinks of cigarette smoke......should I take the bellows off and go over the inside with odour eliminating towels ? Generally air it for a few weeks/months ?
Thanks
Robin

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Great Morris box !
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 05:52:19 PM »

For the smell, what I do is take the bellows off, stretch them out, and spray liberally with Fabreeze, leave to dry for a while, usually works may take a couple of goes.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:38:36 PM by Lester »

Stotty

• Stotty
  • Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 06:27:08 PM »

Sound a nice tone.
For the smell you could try putting it in a container (e.g. a large plastic bag) with some cat litter - it is reputed to absorb odour, and certainly seemed to be effective when used to help with a bad smell in my car boot.  Have to say I expect cigarette smoke will be quite persistent because there will be some "oil" or smoke particulate deposits.

triskel

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 11:01:02 PM »

...any information about Silvetta ?

'Fraid so, rather too much in fact - and all too personally... :(

And I'll start by saying you're very, very lucky to have found a really good one of theirs - I was sure they could do it, which is why I persevered with them, but I had a lot of disappointments along the way.

"Silvetta" was the factory brand of Beschäftigungsgesellschaft Klingenthal ("BGK" to its friends ;)) which was set up in 1991. They were in the (newly-refurbished) one-time Royal Standard accordion factory at Brundöbra, where I visited them on a number of occasions.

But I'd feel the business was compromised for several reasons, starting with being subsidised by the Town Council to operate as a training/work experience course and a factory tours visitors' centre (hence it was often referred to as "Schaumanufaktor").

So the instruments were generally made by trainees rather than skilled workers.

And then there was their "can't do" attitude - for example I asked them if they'd put larger buttons (theirs were tiny) onto their 10-key, 4-stop melodeons for me, which would have made them much more sellable, but I was told that couldn't be done - which was utterly ridiculous because they only needed to make them with larger holes, for larger buttons. >:(

But I did get them to make their 2-row, 2-voice boxes in a smaller size (like an Erica) instead of the size of your 3-row (like a Corso or Corona), and I did start a concertina project with them (even if I did have to seriously fettle every one of them to get it to work!  :o)

I'm sorry to see them gone though, the business declared bankruptcy at the end of 2009. :(

Robin Harrison

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 06:43:52 PM »

Thanks Lester, Stotty & Triskel...........
   I played it on it's first danceout on the streets of Toronto on Monday night.
                   None of the guys noticed I was playing a different accordion (my usual one is dark blue and this one is red) so that is good, but I loved it ! Loud and brassy but the F of GCF much easier on the ear than the G of ADG.
Robin

Robin Harrison

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 09:08:31 PM »

the instruments were generally made by trainees rather than skilled workers.

I've chuckled about this quite a few times , Triskel.
       The reeds were made by the old master reed-maker, who'd been there for years; they are really nice and responsive.
     The Button-sticker-on-er was having a bad day; they drop off unexpectedly.
But  finally and most problematic was the fella who placed the air release button had enormous hands !
    It's placement, and I have big hands, makes it only possible to play in the inside row for a few minutes before the stretch makes it's too painful.
      I've attached an image...it's a full 1" wider stretch compared to a VanderAa and a H.Corona
    So my question is......does anyone have a solution to this.
               I could glue something on to the existing button or I don't mind a permanent re-siting of it.
   Any suggestions appreciated.
Robin

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 09:14:46 PM »

Is it a Hohner style up/down button or an in/out. I had the same problem on a 12 button Erica I made and built an extension slide to help. Can show my workings if it helps

Robin Harrison

• Good talker
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 09:30:47 PM »

Hohner type....thanks, I'd like to see it.
Robin

Robin Harrison

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 01:55:51 PM »

Wonder if I could bump this post and ask again if anyone has a neat solution to the problem of a badly positioned air-release .
Thanks
Robin

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 03:40:26 PM »

That will depend on the details of the design of the air valve mechanism.   Sometimes you can fabricate a new mechanism with a longer top part and then move the external button downwards.   Another possibility with the Italian type push in pivoting lever is to just use a longer lever.  In either case you have to check that the all the new parts are clear of the button mechanism which lies quite close below the bass cover plate.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 04:16:15 PM »

Here’s what I did on a hohner, it would have had a lever like this originally but was changed to a single button like yours. Pencil shows where the button was, when depressed the lever doesn’t hit the button mechanism below ( results may vary). Probably this could be made longer if required, I like the lever button it’s easy to use.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 04:58:43 PM »

HERE'S an album with the pictures of the air button mech I modified on a 12 bass Erica I have. Hope it helps

John Stoutimore

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 05:09:48 PM »

Lester:

The (Corona style) air valve lever on my Gabbanelli is too far to be able to reach the bottom buttons without moving my thumb off the valve lever, and I have big hands. I'm wondering if I could lower the valve lever 1/2". Your last post in this threat had a photo of your adjusted air valve lever, but the photo no longer shows. Would you be so kind as to repost it? Thanks.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 05:25:20 PM »

Lester:

The (Corona style) air valve lever on my Gabbanelli is too far to be able to reach the bottom buttons without moving my thumb off the valve lever, and I have big hands. I'm wondering if I could lower the valve lever 1/2". Your last post in this threat had a photo of your adjusted air valve lever, but the photo no longer shows. Would you be so kind as to repost it? Thanks.
I'm afraid that some overzealous cleaning up of my google drive led to the loss of many things including these photos  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal