Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Liquid hide glue  (Read 4641 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Liquid hide glue
« on: June 26, 2018, 05:47:10 AM »

Does liquid hide glue keep once the bottle has been opened?
What is the easiest heating arrangement to melt/use trad hide glue?

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Re: Liquid hide glue
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 07:23:33 AM »

I use a baby bottle heater. I keep the glue in a screw top tub that's a good fit in the heater, with some clingfilm between tub and lid to aid opening. A small saucepan works OK for short/quick jobs.
Not tried the liquid version.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 08:01:05 AM »

I don’t understand Rog. If it’s liquid why do you need to heat it?
Real hide glue “Pearl” will keep for years. I have a glue pot and the glue in it is at least twenty years old.
The best way to heat it in the absence of a glue pot is in a double saucepan  or even simpler, get an empty bean tin and Pearce four holes in the top around the rim., put some rods through and suspend it in a pot of simmering water making sure it doesn’t touch the bottom. It’ll last for years.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

benammiswift

• Regular debater
  • Squeezing for Derbyshire
    • benammiswift.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 09:19:07 AM »

As mentioned above, the liquid hide glue doesn't need to be heated and in fact it behaves much like PVA glue in the way you use it.

Hot Hide glue will keep for ages. One of the guitar repairers I've seen said once you've done with your glue, put the lid on it and let a skin form on the top in the boiler then put it straight on the fridge.
Castagnari Handry 18

benammiswift

• Regular debater
  • Squeezing for Derbyshire
    • benammiswift.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 09:20:21 AM »

Just as an addition to above, hot hide glue tends to be more common but liquid hide glue is good for when you need a bond almost as good as hide glue but don't have a long enough open time
Castagnari Handry 18

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 11:05:13 AM »

I don’t understand Rog. If it’s liquid why do you need to heat it?
Real hide glue “Pearl” will keep for years. I have a glue pot and the glue in it is at least twenty years old.
The best way to heat it in the absence of a glue pot is in a double saucepan  or even simpler, get an empty bean tin and Pearce four holes in the top around the rim., put some rods through and suspend it in a pot of simmering water making sure it doesn’t touch the bottom. It’ll last for years.

There were two separate questions, Nick: shelf life of liquid hide glue and heating arrangements for traditional pearl glue.  I endorse what you said about trad glue, though \i wouldn't be without my traditional double glue pot.

Cheers
Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 11:15:12 AM »

Liquid hide glue is not very good in my experience. If you want a traditional organic glue that doesn’t need to be heated then fish glue is much superior.

My glue pot is a baby’s bottle warmer with a jam jar sitting inside it.  Cheap, thermostatically controlled, easy, no external heat source needed.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 12:07:58 PM »

ah thanks all. Yes...two questions... I was interested to know if liquid hide glue keeps (I guess I will find out... I have a small bottle)...but i think I need to get a glue pot or baby bottle warmer...or..well Nick's idea seems ok too, esp as I have an old 'lectric stove kicking about.
Theo...where does one get fish glue? I have some Copydex but I never use this stuff... I assume you don't mean Copydex...Nick warned me a few years ago about it.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 12:09:39 PM »

I have a bottle of Titebond liquid hide glue, which my friendly local ironmonger/sawblade sharpener/general good egg gave me to try last time I bought some regular Titebond. I confess I haven't opened it yet, as I have heard luke warm to cool opinions of the stuff and I haven't really had a job I could afford to experiment on.  I'll get round to trying it one day.....

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »

Titebond  Hide glue  is fantasic -  use it direct from bottle.   

Pearl  hide glue is even better,  -  varm it in a micro if you only use a little and then put it back to/in the fridge.

Hide glue was used 5000 years ago!
Stradivarius used it in his violins  (and his 5 guitars)

Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 02:33:52 PM »

In the fridge !!! Never heard of it, why?
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 02:39:52 PM »

Rog,

I have a real glue pot and you are welcome to it. I think I can date it to about 1900 AD
It’s yours when you visit.

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 02:46:27 PM »

[quote author=Nick Collis Bird link=topic=22509.msg269713#msg269713 date=1529996465

There were two separate questions, Nick: shelf life of liquid hide glue and heating arrangements for traditional pearl glue.  I endorse what you said about trad glue, though \i wouldn't be without my traditional double glue pot.
Graham

True Graham. My reply was rather early in the morning. :D

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 04:33:02 PM »

Theo...where does one get fish glue? I have some Copydex but I never use this stuff... I assume you don't mean Copydex...Nick warned me a few years ago about it.
Google comes up with a few hits, it seems easier to get from Germany as Fischleim. I got some from here but haven't really played with it yet (mainly due to forgetting I'd bought it).

Copydex seems intended for short term use - I think I have a 100% track record of regretting using it - it degrades to a sticky goo which attracts dust and is a pig to remove. YMMV.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 05:04:27 PM »

ah thanks all. Yes...two questions... I was interested to know if liquid hide glue keeps (I guess I will find out... I have a small bottle)...but i think I need to get a glue pot or baby bottle warmer...or..well Nick's idea seems ok too, esp as I have an old 'lectric stove kicking about.

I got mine here - http://www.conservation-resources.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=801

Copydex is a latex adhesive. Completely different stuff
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 05:51:36 PM »

Does it smell much, Theo? I'm sure it was fish glue we used in infants school, and it was awful.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »

Seccotine was a popular adhesive used before synthetics became universally available.  It is a liquid fish glue which I was surprised to find still advertised here https://www.cornelissen.com/water-colour/water-based-gold-size/roberson-gum-ammoniac-30-ml.html.

Not cheap mind.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 10:34:27 PM »

. . . in the fridge. ?

yes,   well,    I only use small amounts of the glue. I left it in a glass jar and after a few weeks it was moldy.
Got the tip to put the glass jar in the refrigerator, - with a lid on it, and it lasts for months.
30 seconds in micron and it's ready again.

Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 06:35:41 AM »

Interesting Stockaryd, because the stuff I use has never gone moldy. What exactly are you using?

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 08:35:00 AM »

Well I just  bought hide glue pearls, from the internet.
I use it in small amounts with several weeks in between. And it works fine! 
Used it on and in guitars, timple and melodeons.  And books. And furnitures.

I also use PVA and superglue sometimes.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal