Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sideproject: my first 1-row Hohner  (Read 956 times)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Sideproject: my first 1-row Hohner
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2018, 07:42:05 AM »

...  I replaced like for like as I didn't know any better ...

Always a good method
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Fred

• Regular debater
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 06:19:40 PM »

So I've measured the valves which were used in my project box and a simple question occurred to me:
If I need 6 different lengths of valves but all of them have the same width, can I just buy the longest one needed and cut the rest out of them? (e.g. I buy 28 x 5.5 mm valves and cut them to 26, 24, 22 and so on)
The most simple questions are sometimes the hardest to answer as 15 different threads on valves (material, lengths, punched holes etc.) did not provide me with an answer.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 06:31:11 PM »

So I've measured the valves which were used in my project box and a simple question occurred to me:
If I need 6 different lengths of valves but all of them have the same width, can I just buy the longest one needed and cut the rest out of them? (e.g. I buy 28 x 5.5 mm valves and cut them to 26, 24, 22 and so on)
The most simple questions are sometimes the hardest to answer as 15 different threads on valves (material, lengths, punched holes etc.) did not provide me with an answer.

For the treble I would use either THESE for most of the reeds or THESE for the smaller ones. You may also need THESE for the lowest reed and the chord reeds.

The bass reeds will need something from Charlie's Synthetic/Vinyl Bass Valve selection

Fred

• Regular debater
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 06:36:23 PM »

Thank you for your answer, Lester. So can I take from that, that it is no problem at all to cut longer valves to the desired lengths?

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 06:40:36 PM »

Thank you for your answer, Lester. So can I take from that, that it is no problem at all to cut longer valves to the desired lengths?

Sorry missed that part, yes I trim valves all the time. On the double layer ones it is best to trim the shorter layer by the same percentage as you shorten the long layer (by eye rather than anything more accurate)

Fred

• Regular debater
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 07:01:19 PM »

Lovely! Thank you very much, I'll get to order some valves then.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.