Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for July 2018: Grenville Morris  (Read 12491 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Tune of the Month for July 2018: Grenville Morris
« on: June 30, 2018, 10:50:56 PM »

Tune of the month this month, and worthy winner is this wonderful composition by Sam Sweeney, played here by DTN on a C/F: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q028xkvfIDk and with thanks to Pete and a bit of tweaking from Mitch, we have

Code: [Select]
X:6
T:Grenville Morris
C:Sam Sweeney
S:Inventions Tune Book accompanying the Leveret 'Inventions'cd.
M:6/4
L:1/8
%%titlefont Helvetica, 22
%%subtitlefont Helvetica,16
Q:1/4=110
K:F
FGAc|:[M:4/4] d3 d d2 c2|GABc A2 F2|B3 B B2 A2|[M:6/4] F2 FG E4 EFEC|[M:4/4] D3 C DE F2|
E2 FG F2 GA|B3B B2A2|1[M:6/4] F2FG E3 E FGAc:|2[M:6/4] F2 FG E4 Fcfe||
|:[M:4/4] d3 c Bcde|[M:6/4] c2 AF G4 GAFE|[M:4/4] D3 A B2 A2|[M:6/4] GcGF E3 G FE C2|[M:4/4] D3 C DE F2|
E2 FG F2 GA|B3 B B2 A2|1[M:6/4] F2 FG E3 E Fcfe:|2[M:6/4] F2 FG E4|]
W:
W:Source: The Inventions cd Tune Book
W:
W:"Written for a wonderful man & musician. Gren was a huge inspiration to me
W:when I was growing up in Castle Donnington & this tune is in memory of him "

The tune is recorded on Leveret's latest album 'Inventions' which has the dots for each tune thoughtfully included in the CD liner notes.

Cheers,

Clive

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Re: Tune of the Month for July 2018: Grenville Morris
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 12:17:03 PM »

Because I can't play in F (afaik at least), I've took the freedom to simply transpose the tune to D. Purists, look away. :P

X:9
K:Dmaj
DEFA|:[M:4/4] B3 B B2 A2|EFGA F2 D2|G3 G G2 F2|[M:6/4] D2 DE C4 CDCA,|[M:4/4] B,3 A, B,C D2|
C2 DE D2 EF|G3G G2F2|1[M:6/4] D2DE C3 C DEFA:|2[M:6/4] D2 DE C4 DAdc||
|:[M:4/4] B3 A GABc|[M:6/4] A2 FD E4 EFDC|[M:4/4] B,3 F G2 F2|[M:6/4] EAED C3 E DC A,2|[M:4/4] B,3 A, B,C D2|
C2 DE D2 EF|G3 G G2 F2|1[M:6/4] D2 DE C3 C DAdc:|2[M:6/4] D2 DE C4|]
W:
W:

This is a really tough song to learn. Looking forward to improve my game! (:)

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 03:39:41 PM »

Because I can't play in F (afaik at least), I've took the freedom to simply transpose the tune to D. Purists, look away. :P

Are you playing a D/G melodeon Fred?  If so, then try it in G.  It flows very nicely from the fingers in that key, which makes sense as Andy is playing it with Leveret in F on a C/F box. 

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 06:30:09 PM »

I'd agree it's an inner row tune if you have two rows (and  would be a real challenge on one row...) but there are other reasons for it being hard to learn, like the ever-changing time signature.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 09:30:36 PM »

Are you playing a D/G melodeon Fred?  If so, then try it in G.  It flows very nicely from the fingers in that key, which makes sense as Andy is playing it with Leveret in F on a C/F box.

Yep - transpose to G is easiest. I think it's one of those tunes where some phrases play easily on the inside row, some on the outside row. If you find a phrase too tricky on one row, try it on the other and see if that seems more natural.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 11:39:02 PM »

I'd agree it's an inner row tune if you have two rows (and  would be a real challenge on one row...) but there are other reasons for it being hard to learn, like the ever-changing time signature.
A worthy winner indeed. But unlike some metre change tunes this one keeps a common pulse to the extent that you could almost ignore the barlines. At least that's what I will do. Like I do with birthdays- just annoying little reminders of what I've failed to achieve with my allotted time to date.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Fred

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 11:47:19 PM »

At least that's what I will do. Like I do with birthdays- just annoying little reminders of what I've failed to achieve with my allotted time to date.

Ouch that hurt.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 09:07:03 AM »

A worthy winner indeed. But unlike some metre change tunes this one keeps a common pulse to the extent that you could almost ignore the barlines.

Yep, I suspect it might be worth considering it as a tune in 2/4 with an irregular number of bars.

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 11:08:43 AM »

Hmm, methought as the result rolled in, (and not for the first time). Almost gave it a miss, but loins girded, knoodled on paper and non melodeons, listened to a couple of versions and here is the outcome. Once without repeats on an F one row, (as has been mentioned previously, probably not an ideal tune for that instrument). Seemingly hypnotised on the CF I played three times through by accident. Slower than authorised versions, but how I hear it. No idea whether the metrical changes are in the right places.

https://youtu.be/6wLblyjfcJA

All the best

Bill

Fred

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »

Almost gave it a miss

Happy you did not! I'm astounded by the fact you made it work on a one row. And the slightly slower tempo also fits the tune quite well, so well done on that part as well. (That were quite a few "well"s in that sentence... oh well.)

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 11:53:08 AM »

Despite my earlier remark about one rows, there are no accidentals in this tune, so it's not such a problem if you don't bother with basses and chords.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 11:55:13 AM »

A worthy winner indeed. But unlike some metre change tunes this one keeps a common pulse to the extent that you could almost ignore the barlines. At least that's what I will do. Like I do with birthdays- just annoying little reminders of what I've failed to achieve with my allotted time to date.

Ahem, I think you mean reminders of the joyous opportunities  that still await...
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 12:03:50 PM »

Slower than authorised versions, but how I hear it.
And the slightly slower tempo also fits the tune quite well, so well done on that part as well.

There's a metronome marking of 110 on the ABC, and according to that, Bill's speed is about right, or if anything even a shade faster.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 12:17:51 PM »

There's a metronome marking of 110 on the ABC, and according to that, Bill's speed is about right, or if anything even a shade faster.

Depends on how long a beat is. Not sure why 110bpm is given. Leveret and DTN both play at about 80ish crotchets a minute.
Bill is playing about 50ish.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Fred

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 12:59:32 PM »

After practicing for two days and fiddling around with the keys, I've decided to stick with D major. Even though a few of you rightfully pointed out that the tune fits very well on a two row D/G melodeon if played in G major. I personally prefer the darker tone of the lower notes when playing it in D.

As this tune is indeed not so easy, I'm surprised how fast I was able to get to a point at which I was comfortable with recording it. It took about 6 or 7 attempts or so (for recording, not practice of course), but the outcome now properly reflects my current ability to play the tune. I'll definitely play it more often from now on, as I'm enjoying the flow of it.

https://soundcloud.com/laubblaeser/grenville-morris-take-3

Thank you for listening. Any critique or compliment is welcome, especially when it comes to the chords that I've chosen.

For reference, I'll add the ABC I've modded to include the Chords:
X:9
K:Dmaj
DEFA|:[M:4/4] "G"B3 B B2 A2|"Em"EFGA "D"F2 D2|"G"G3 G "Bm"G2 F2|[M:6/4] "D"D2 DE "A"C4 CDCA,|[M:4/4] "G"B,3 A, B,C "D"D2|
"A"C2 DE "D"D2 EF|"G"G3G "Bm"G2F2|1[M:6/4] "D"D2DE "A"C3 C DEFA:|2[M:6/4] "D"D2 DE "A"C4 DAdc||
|:[M:4/4] "G"B3 A "Em"GABc|[M:6/4] "D"A2 FD "A"E4 EFDC|[M:4/4] "G"B,3 F "G/B"G2 F2|[M:6/4] "D/E"EAED "Am"C3 E DC A,2|[M:4/4] "G"B,3 A, "D"B,C D2|
"A"C2 DE "D"D2 EF|"G"G3 G "Bm"G2 F2|1[M:6/4] "D"D2 DE "A"C3 C DAdc:|2[M:6/4] D2 DE C4|]
W:
W:

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 09:04:28 PM »

Can anyone clever tell me if this tune is in the Locrian mode of C# when set in 2 sharps?
Greg Smith

Fred

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 09:18:24 PM »

Can anyone clever tell me if this tune is in the Locrian mode of C# when set in 2 sharps?

Without further thinking about it, that sounds about right to me.
Short thought process: 2 sharps are D major. C# is the 7th tone of D major. Therefore it should be C# locrian.

Corrections welcome, as I'm not very well versed in musical theory.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 09:54:56 PM »

A scale starting on C# with an F# would be Lochrian mode, but the scale for this piece doesn't start on C#. Simplest way to interpret this piece is an honest major key. Some arguments can be made for Lydian mode if you argue that the key of the piece is the downbeat of bar 1, but there isn't a feel for the raised 4th of the Lydian mode either, so just a major key (Ionian mode).
Unless I've misunderstood the question.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 08:52:02 AM »

A scale starting on C# with an F# would be Lochrian mode, but the scale for this piece doesn't start on C#. Simplest way to interpret this piece is an honest major key. Some arguments can be made for Lydian mode if you argue that the key of the piece is the downbeat of bar 1, but there isn't a feel for the raised 4th of the Lydian mode either, so just a major key (Ionian mode).
Unless I've misunderstood the question.

You understood the question right (:)

I asked because it seems to resolve onto the C# in the final bars of the parts, which is often a better indicator. But, it has  more the feel of a major key. Not that it really matters. Maybe it's just another of those ambiguous tunes.

Edit: Actually, I think my argument puts it in A mix. Whatever it is, I agree with Fred. It works nicely in 2 sharps.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:09:17 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 09:20:06 AM »

It ends on a C♯, but I wouldn't say it resolves - I'd say it ends unresolved. As you say, the feel of the tune is definitely major.
The 'last note' rule is useful for deciding a key, but sometimes you have to think in terms of what you expect rather than what you get.

Real Locrian mode tunes sound much weirder than that. Try John Kirkpatrick's Gravedigger's Song, or some early church music.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal