Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for July 2018: Grenville Morris  (Read 12503 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Tune of the Month for July 2018: Grenville Morris
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 09:24:11 AM »

For what it's worth, I wsn't asking out of mere intellectual curiosity. At the Leveret weekend there was a lot of investigation of drones as an accompaniment to tunes in playing around with ways of playing them.

It's a bit tricky to experiment on your own. Much better as a group thing but I'm the only person round my part of the world working on this tune, as far as I know (Jimmy?).

I was wondering if the key of the piece would give a clue to good  notes to try. Don't think it does, though.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Saul Bailey

• Anarchist
  • Good talker
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 12:19:31 PM »

Lots of interesting debate here! I just play it how it sounds...seems to work for me... :)

https://youtu.be/vOOhVgfEc0c
Castagnari Morys DG & CF, Pariselle BbEb, Saltarelle Neuilly DG, Castagnari Lilly DG, Pokerwork DG, Eric Martin G/C

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 12:28:43 PM »

Lots of interesting debate here! I just play it how it sounds...seems to work for me... :)

Sounds great to me  (:) I've yet to get my fingers around the B part...

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2018, 12:31:43 PM »

I have to agree. That's good. Thanks for showing what's going on with your basses so clearly.

All the talk is nervous bluster on my part. Trying to work out how to start.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »

Nicely played Saul...... thanks for sharing
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 01:04:53 PM »

Really interesting how fast you were able to learn this tune (only 3 days!) and bring it to such a high level. I'm in awe of your skill.

Thoon

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2018, 02:37:51 PM »

Beautiful!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 04:28:44 PM »

I was trying not to check out Saul's version so that I didn't either try to copy it or get disheartened. But having listened to it anyway, it's too nicely done for either eventuality. Well played indeed.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018, 07:12:42 PM »

I was trying not to check out Saul's version so that I didn't either try to copy it or get disheartened. But having listened to it anyway, it's too nicely done for either eventuality. Well played indeed.

You should check out Leveret playing it, though, if you want to know what the tune is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vSBeFn3lo
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:14:58 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith

Saul Bailey

• Anarchist
  • Good talker
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018, 11:20:02 PM »

To be fair I rather think Mr Cutting takes the credit for the way it was played...I just listened to it religiously when it came out  ;D
Castagnari Morys DG & CF, Pariselle BbEb, Saltarelle Neuilly DG, Castagnari Lilly DG, Pokerwork DG, Eric Martin G/C

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2018, 11:42:48 PM »

To be fair I rather think Mr Cutting takes the credit for the way it was played...I just listened to it religiously when it came out  ;D

You would have loved the Halsway Leveret weekend, Saul. Great insights into how they put their music together.
Greg Smith

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2018, 10:30:49 PM »

I've put this on the Gaillard G/C box in C.  It comes out in the top octave with lots of row crossing and legato chords.
I've stuck to simple chords, just C, G and F and played it slower than the Leveret recording.

(Sorry about the rather dominant subdominant bass note that keeps intruding).

https://youtu.be/kxCNVHVeU2E

Mitch
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:34:02 PM by Howard Mitchell-Borts (Mitch) »
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 12:27:05 AM »

Today's the first day since last Tuesday that I've felt fit enough to play for more than 5 minutes at a time...
So, on the usual D/G Oakwood/Dino Baffetti: https://youtu.be/VN8IuouiCyw
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 05:09:22 PM »

There's a metronome marking of 110 on the ABC, and according to that, Bill's speed is about right, or if anything even a shade faster.

Slightly OT, I'm afraid...

That metronome marking appears on the score as a tempo of 110 crochets per minute. Is this the usual way of specifying
the metronome marking in a printed score - ie: in terms of crochets per minute? I ask because I have seen loadsa ABC
scripts which produce scores with the tempo displayed as no of minims per minute, etc. I would like to specify all my ABC
scripts in a 'standard' way (so I don't have to think too hard when I look at 'em). Standardising the way the tempo/metronome
marking is displayed is one thing I can do...

Ta.

Roger
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:12:11 PM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 05:57:33 PM »

I think you can specify whatever units you like, which why you have to say whether it's crotchets, minims , quavers or whatever. I'd have thought you used the main beat as your "per minute" unit as it would make sense, but I'm not aware of any rules about it.

(Wikipedia says: "The note value of a beat will typically be that indicated by the meter signature. For instance, in 4
4 the beat will be a crotchet, or quarter note.")
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 06:01:26 PM by Anahata »

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2018, 07:01:48 PM »

There's a metronome marking of 110 on the ABC, and according to that, Bill's speed is about right, or if anything even a shade faster.

Slightly OT, I'm afraid...

That metronome marking appears on the score as a tempo of 110 crochets per minute. Is this the usual way of specifying
the metronome marking in a printed score - ie: in terms of crochets per minute? I ask because I have seen loadsa ABC
scripts which produce scores with the tempo displayed as no of minims per minute, etc. I would like to specify all my ABC
scripts in a 'standard' way (so I don't have to think too hard when I look at 'em). Standardising the way the tempo/metronome
marking is displayed is one thing I can do...

Ta.

Roger
Mathematically, you can specify the metronome speed in whatever note values you like, and in ABC it will work out right if you specify the note value in the Q: field - e.g:
Q:1/4=120 will show a crotchet = 120 in the written music, and the software should play it at that speed too.

Howver, it is more useful to think of the metronome speed in terms of beats per minute, i.e the number of times per minute you feel able to tap your foot or dance along sensibly. The most obvious example would be in those hornpipes with a 2/2 or 3/2 time signature where the 'feel' of the tune is in minims. So you might want to specify (for example) Q:1/2=96  - a good tempo for a duple- or triple-time hornpipe.

When you get to 6/8 time signatures for jigs, the 'feel' beat is a two-in-a-bar dotted crotchet. So your Q: field would look like e.g. Q:3/8=110 for a good stready jig tempo.  You could specify Q:1/8=330, and the tune would play at the same speed, but it is a bit silly metronomically; no self-respecting metronome would want to tick-tock at that tachycardiac rate.  :Ph
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2018, 08:09:20 PM »

you have to say whether it's crotchets, minims , quavers or whatever

You Brits are making these words up, right? They seem like fantasy words straight out of a Monty Python sketch. :D

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2018, 09:30:12 PM »

you have to say whether it's crotchets, minims , quavers or whatever

You Brits are making these words up, right? They seem like fantasy words straight out of a Monty Python sketch. :D

Sorry, it's normal English musical speak. Two nations divided by a common language, etc.

[Edit, we are , of course, bilingual. But, it would be a shame to lose the real thing]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:36:39 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2018, 11:58:54 PM »

semibreve = whole note
minim = half note
crotchet = quarter note
quaver = eighth note
semiquaver = sixteenth note

See, I can speak American if I have to!

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2018, 07:24:50 AM »

I think you can specify whatever units you like, which why you have to say whether it's crotchets, minims , quavers or whatever. I'd have thought you used the main beat as your "per minute" unit as it would make sense, but I'm not aware of any rules about it.

(Wikipedia says: "The note value of a beat will typically be that indicated by the meter signature. For instance, in 4
4 the beat will be a crotchet, or quarter note.")

Oh, goody - that's more or less what I've been doing - so presumably, that means I got it more or less 'right'...

Mathematically, you can specify the metronome speed in whatever note values you like, and in ABC it will work out right if you specify the note value in the Q: field - e.g:
Q:1/4=120 will show a crotchet = 120 in the written music, and the software should play it at that speed too.

Howver, it is more useful to think of the metronome speed in terms of beats per minute, i.e the number of times per minute you feel able to tap your foot or dance along sensibly. The most obvious example would be in those hornpipes with a 2/2 or 3/2 time signature where the 'feel' of the tune is in minims. So you might want to specify (for example) Q:1/2=96  - a good tempo for a duple- or triple-time hornpipe.

When you get to 6/8 time signatures for jigs, the 'feel' beat is a two-in-a-bar dotted crotchet. So your Q: field would look like e.g. Q:3/8=110 for a good stready jig tempo.  You could specify Q:1/8=330, and the tune would play at the same speed, but it is a bit silly metronomically; no self-respecting metronome would want to tick-tock at that tachycardiac rate.  :Ph

Yes, it's the tempo in terms of 'the number of times per minute you feel able to tap your foot'  which I was aiming at.
I've been specifying Q:1/4=120, and it does exactly what I expected/wanted for 4/4 tunes. T'was what to do with
other time signatures that was doing my head in - all is now clear (well, clearer... (:)).

It was the mixed time signature in the TotM which prompted the query, that and the fact that (clearly), the 'rules' are
not really 'rules'. more of a 'movable feast'.

Thank you folks. Explanations here are always clearer than stuff I find on t'Internet.

Roger
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:57:29 AM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal