Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for July 2018: Grenville Morris  (Read 12497 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: Tune of the Month for July 2018: Grenville Morris
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2018, 09:19:46 AM »

Hi all - here's my take on this, played on a G/C Van der Aa, so we're in C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIXzscEbeFM

I do think those of us who play by ear have an unfair advantage here - the changes in time signature are something that I didn't really notice when learning the tune to be honest - it sounds like a slow 2/4 march to me, albeit with an irregular bar count.

Now I've had a chance to listen to the other versions (I try not to before I record), nice jobs so far people! Saul, I do hear a lot of Andy's technique in your playing - you have the bellows shake done very nicely that is such a characteristic part of what he does - really good job.

Cheers,

Clive

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2018, 03:36:50 PM »

Here's mine. I decided to keep it in the original key.
https://youtu.be/dO9Lsj8Tkgw

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2018, 05:10:18 PM »

Lovely. The advantage of a CF box?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2018, 01:45:14 AM »

Lovely. The advantage of a CF box?

Yes - nice playing. C/F boxes sound lovely and mellow. I'm generally of the opinion that it's a shame to convert a nice vintage C/F box into D/G when there are plenty of modern D/G boxes available.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thoon

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2018, 02:13:25 PM »

Hi m.net,

a quick recording between two french fests..

https://youtu.be/wKYxiP8dD7g

Cheers

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »

Here my recording: https://youtu.be/EgABbaXO4hQ

Initially on a Streb eMelodeon (to celebrate it's arrival last week!) and then my normal D/G Handry.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2018, 05:37:45 PM »

Initially on a Streb eMelodeon (to celebrate it's arrival last week!) and then my normal D/G Handry.

The Handry version sounds great, he says, cautiously (:).
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2018, 12:28:24 PM »

The Handry version sounds great, he says, cautiously (:).

I'd have to agree with this, very cautiously worded, sentiment.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2018, 01:09:20 PM »

To my ear, there's a quality in the Handry performance that the Streb hasn't got (yet?). I'm not sure if it's a characteristic of the Streb, or if it's just a lack of familiarity.  I do love the Handry version though, Pete. You have that elusive bellows shake off nicely.
Greg Smith

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2018, 01:41:53 PM »

To my ear, there's a quality in the Handry performance that the Streb hasn't got (yet?). I'm not sure if it's a characteristic of the Streb, or if it's just a lack of familiarity.  I do love the Handry version though, Pete. You have that elusive bellows shake off nicely.

Thanks for the kind words chaps.  The Streb version is played using a "Church Organ" voice which, on it's default settings, has a flat (on/off) response to bellows pressure.  I think that is why it perhaps comes through a little lifeless.  It was just an experiment and I also prefer the Handry version  (:).

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2018, 01:54:12 PM »

This thread is driving me mad. Every time I see the title appear on my list, I see/hear Arkwright, in Open All Hours, saying g-g-g-g-Granville!

Surely I'm not the only one?

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2018, 02:29:11 PM »

The Streb version is played using a "Church Organ" voice which, on it's default settings, has a flat (on/off) response to bellows pressure.  I think that is why it perhaps comes through a little lifeless...

Ah! That's exactly it. Looking forward to hearing more from the Streb, then.
Greg Smith

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2018, 02:30:42 PM »

This thread is driving me mad. Every time I see the title appear on my list, I see/hear Arkwright, in Open All Hours, saying g-g-g-g-Granville!

Surely I'm not the only one?

Sir John

Thank you for that gift. Not.   ;D
Greg Smith

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2018, 01:21:41 PM »

The Streb version is played using a "Church Organ" voice which, on it's default settings, has a flat (on/off) response to bellows pressure.  I think that is why it perhaps comes through a little lifeless...

Ah! That's exactly it. Looking forward to hearing more from the Streb, then.

Yep, the Streb's default settings are a bit odd. Try response curve 3 rather than flat response, pump up the reverb, and it's a different beast!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2018, 09:58:37 PM »

My Grenville Morris contribution. I started off playing straight upand down the G row (more or or less). Then I worked on a cross rowing setting, but I decided I couldn't do that as effectively as the previous contributions, so I've gone for something a bit different. I'm quite pleased with the way it came out. Not perfect, but it works for me.
(sorry about the poor video quality).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKQHvfRhs0I&feature=youtu.be
Greg Smith

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2018, 09:39:49 AM »

My Grenville Morris contribution. I started off playing straight upand down the G row (more or or less). Then I worked on a cross rowing setting, but I decided I couldn't do that as effectively as the previous contributions, so I've gone for something a bit different. I'm quite pleased with the way it came out. Not perfect, but it works for me.
(sorry about the poor video quality).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKQHvfRhs0I&feature=youtu.be

Ooohh, Greg, that got a very nice swing to it. Shows pretty much why we all love the melodeon so much, as it gives that certain up-and-down feeling with its pull and push movements. And your box sounds lovely, got that nice slight tremolo and has a lot of character. Thanks for sharing. Nothin substantial to improve on, I'd say. Keep on going! (:)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2018, 12:44:54 AM »

Thanks for your comments, Fred. They describe what I was aiming for better than I could myself. Just wish I could eliminate melodeon face. (:)
Greg Smith

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2018, 07:09:48 AM »

Just to say how much I've enjoyed the recordings and different interpretations of the tune - which ranks among my current favourites.
I've rejected my own recordings so far - hampered by a combination of technology, heat and light in the music room, noise from workmen (and the missus practicing her fiddle tunes), and my own incompetence...haven't found the most appropriate melodeon face !
I must try harder...

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2018, 08:31:47 AM »

Just to say how much I've enjoyed the recordings and different interpretations of the tune - which ranks among my current favourites.
I've rejected my own recordings so far - hampered by a combination of technology, heat and light in the music room, noise from workmen (and the missus practicing her fiddle tunes), and my own incompetence...haven't found the most appropriate melodeon face !
I must try harder...

J
These are some  (most) of the reasons I started posting on SoundCloud. It's a lot less stressful and time consuming. The less pressure you are under, the more likely you are to come up with a recording you are reasonably happy to share.
Greg Smith

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2018, 09:17:29 AM »

I've rejected my own recordings so far - hampered by a combination of technology, heat and light in the music room, noise from workmen (and the missus practicing her fiddle tunes), and my own incompetence...haven't found the most appropriate melodeon face
These are some  (most) of the reasons I started posting on SoundCloud. It's a lot less stressful and time consuming. The less pressure you are under, the more likely you are to come up with a recording you are reasonably happy to share.
Whilst I understand agree, I'd rather watch an imperfectly recorded video than listen to a polished Soundcloud version. I have never got to the end of a melnet Soundcloud posting, but frequently do with youtube versions. I like seeing the box, the performance positions, different ways of holding them, seeing if they are playing on the row v cross rowing, and other technical aspects. In the best cases of course, I try to copy them, and a glimpse of left hand really helps.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal