Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginner learning concertina.  (Read 8736 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Beginner learning concertina.
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2018, 01:45:43 AM »

It's all very well designing a 'super-special layout' just to suit Irish music, but it renders it less useful for other genres. Concertinas often well outlive their owners and the next owner might not want to play Irish music at all.
It's nonsense to suggest that any maker is somehow remiss unless they cater to every genre.
Wally Carroll is making fine instruments that are designed for the Irish music market. Why should he have to care about any other genre?

I'm not suggesting that Wally Carroll, or any other maker, is 'remiss' at all. I was simply commenting on one particular layout from potential players that any maker might be requested to supply. Furthermore, the makers I know, or am aware of, will happily build an instrument to a customer's requirements.

Besides, he does offer options other than the 'super-special layout'.
The following is from his website;
Note Configuration
We have a Standard Configuration that we use on our instruments which is friendly to both Wheatstone/Lachenal and Jeffries players.  Note substitutions can be made at a cost of $20 per change.  Please see our note configuration chart for details.

Exactly. You seem to have answered your own 'nonsense' criticism.  ::)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 01:59:09 AM »

It's all very well designing a 'super-special layout' just to suit Irish music, but it renders it less useful for other genres. Concertinas often well outlive their owners and the next owner might not want to play Irish music at all.
It's nonsense to suggest that any maker is somehow remiss unless they cater to every genre.
Wally Carroll is making fine instruments that are designed for the Irish music market. Why should he have to care about any other genre?

I'm not suggesting that Wally Carroll, or any other maker, is 'remiss' at all. I was simply commenting on one particular layout from potential players that any maker might be requested to supply. Furthermore, the makers I know, or am aware of, will happily build an instrument to a customer's requirements.

Besides, he does offer options other than the 'super-special layout'.
The following is from his website;
Note Configuration
We have a Standard Configuration that we use on our instruments which is friendly to both Wheatstone/Lachenal and Jeffries players.  Note substitutions can be made at a cost of $20 per change.  Please see our note configuration chart for details.

Exactly. You seem to have answered your own 'nonsense' criticism.  ::)

I answered your nonsense criticism. In your haste to slate a reputable maker, you obviously hadn't fully read his website.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 02:27:39 AM »

In your haste to slate a reputable maker...
Oh for goodness sake. Nothing could be further from the truth. >:(

I don't wish to continue this particular discussion any further, otherwise the admins will probably feel obliged to lock the thread and that would be a pity, because it is clear that other people are finding it useful.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 02:48:13 AM »

Double-thanks Steve.  Going to have to nominate you for (super) Hero Member. 
You're welcome!  :|bl

Every Thanksgiving vacation-time we visit Button Box and I think, this year, I am going to get a Morse.  Maybe this year.
I know several people who have Morse concertinas, anglos and English, including a couple of my students, based on my recommendations. They are fine instruments: top of the range hybrids, which play very well indeed.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2018, 07:03:11 AM »

[[ADMIN]]

Intemperate language has no place on this forum,  and this topic properly belongs on concertina.net.

Topic locked.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal