Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanted, Hohner Erica 'shell'  (Read 2398 times)

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
Wanted, Hohner Erica 'shell'
« on: July 08, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »

My D/G Erica is a bit of a wreck though it seems to sound OK but when it sits beside the nice shiny red C/F I have it looks very sad, and it reeks of smoke, plus it was put together with silicone and screws and the keyboard has been cracked at one end  - so I wondered if anyone has, by some chance, the shell of an Erica so I could do a transplant.

I realize that this might be a forlorn hope, as why would anyone take the reeds out of a perfectly good melodeon - but I just thought that I'd ask before venturing to try to buy another one.

Barcarole D/G
Hohner Ericas D/G and C/F
Hohner el Rey del Vallenato A/D/G aka 'Elvis'
Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb club layout
Meinel & Herold G C F 3 voice 3 row 16 bass

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Wanted, Hohner Erica 'shell'
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 04:42:11 PM »

I'm sure the reed blocks will fit other boxes, so don't just limit your search to Ericas.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

george garside

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 05:05:24 PM »

presumably they will also fit the double ray.
george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Stuart Hay

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 05:08:20 PM »

If your search is to no avail I did see a reasonably priced DG Erica on the Hobgoblin website the other day

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 05:28:28 PM »

There's a very tidy Swiss made B/C Erica on FB now, with 3 hours to go, and still cheap. Your reed blocks would drop straight in there.

SJ
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 06:16:59 PM by John MacKenzie (Cugiok) »

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 06:00:49 PM »

That is an older model and probably has the gaskets on the reed blocks, (more recent ones have the gaskets on the soundboard) and has slightly different block fixings.  So I don’t think your blocks will drop straight in,  but only a few simple mods required. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 01:09:57 AM »

My D/G Erica is a bit of a wreck though it seems to sound OK but when it sits beside the nice shiny red C/F I have it looks very sad, and it reeks of smoke, plus it was put together with silicone and screws and the keyboard has been cracked at one end  - so I wondered if anyone has, by some chance, the shell of an Erica so I could do a transplant.
Charlie Marshall sells Erica parts separately - LH and RH ends, bass plates, keyboards, etc. You could buy what you need and cobble a new box together from your old one and new parts.

See here (scroll down)
http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Hohner_Parts.html
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »

The concept of a nice new case with the old reeds is tempting, but it would probably top £400 for all the separate spare parts - I could take the box apart to see if I can get away with less - do some repairs rather than replacing, but I suspect that once taken apart it will not be possible to reassemble - the use of silicone by previous handlers might make dismantling rather destructive.
Barcarole D/G

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 06:31:59 PM »

It might depend on whether the silicone was just slavered over the joint, or whether it was put on before the parts were assembled. If it's just over the top, it shouldn't be too bad, as the surface for sticking the new gasket on could yet be uncontaminated. A steady hand and a Stanley blade, coupled with a bit of luck; and Bob's your uncle!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 10:18:24 AM »

There is also the repair to the bellows required - tape plus a missing metal corner, and the way that the bellows pins and screws for the grill have been replaced with an assortment of larger screws so each hole would need to be filled and drilled for something closer to the original.
I was amazed that it plays as well as it does, when I got it out of the packaging I was expecting a total loss. 
Barcarole D/G

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 10:33:20 AM »

You definitely need a donor box

SJ

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 10:41:33 AM »

Is the bellows tape black or gold?  The older ones with black tape are much harder wearing.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 05:47:58 PM »

gold tape.
I decided to buy a few spare parts and do some work on the original - I have a bottle of Sili-kill for silicone removal, and access to all sorts of tools and also time, so will see what can be achieved.
I called Charlie Marshall this morning and gave him a list of items to give me a good start - and whilst I have the box apart I can chase the squeak in the keyboard end and maybe even do a bit of painting and preening plus trying to get rid of the smell of tobacco smoke.
At the end of it I hope to have a box which is more airtight, less disreputable, not so smelly and perhaps a bit more responsive - yes it has seen better days - but haven't we all?
I will never lack street cred with that box, no matter what I do with it. 
Barcarole D/G

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 08:51:38 PM »

Thank you for the move - I was wondering about reporting on the process.
I have put on the new corner required by the bellows, and it has made quite a difference to the air - I had not realized that there was actually a gap in the structure as it was not evident when at rest, and it was the inner lower corner.
I used a pin to separate the layers of card and paper correctly inside and outside the corner piece, and glued then pinched it into place, a very easy fix.
I took it out last night to play for Anonymous morris - I usually play drum but as there were no accordions and only one melodeon I thought I'd try to help out where I could.

Note to self - should practice more Morris tunes.     
Barcarole D/G

odonovanchris

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 03:50:10 AM »

Hi Anne, did you have any luck getting rid of the tobacco smoke smell? I just received an old paolo soprani which has the same problem. Very smokey smell. I'm thinking of wiping the exterior down with a slightly damp cloth to hopefully get rid of external residue. The internals and bellows are a different matter. maybe if I leave it out in the fresh air disassembled for a while the smell will somewhat dissipate. I'll try and vacuum / use compressed air to get out any dust from inside. The wax appears to have turned a deep brown colour - not sure if this is from absorbing smoke throughout the years or if it's just age in general. I had to throw out the straps because they smelled like an ash tray. Also I will replace the grille fabric. Anyway let me know how you got on with yours. Thanks!
Chris

Thank you for the move - I was wondering about reporting on the process.
I have put on the new corner required by the bellows, and it has made quite a difference to the air - I had not realized that there was actually a gap in the structure as it was not evident when at rest, and it was the inner lower corner.
I used a pin to separate the layers of card and paper correctly inside and outside the corner piece, and glued then pinched it into place, a very easy fix.
I took it out last night to play for Anonymous morris - I usually play drum but as there were no accordions and only one melodeon I thought I'd try to help out where I could.

Note to self - should practice more Morris tunes.     
Many Paolo Sopranis, many Hohners, little space left.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 02:17:13 PM »

Hi Anne, did you have any luck getting rid of the tobacco smoke smell? I just received an old paolo soprani which has the same problem. Very smokey smell
End quote

Rees Wesson of this parish recommends a good spray with Febreeze and putting in a plastic b\g I believe... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 03:05:31 PM »

Baking soda on a saucer removes smells from the fridge. Maybe help neutralise your box.

SJ

Peadar

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2020, 04:01:06 PM »

Febreze works for me. If it's really bad you may need to do it 3 or 4  times.

You might post a photo of the old grille cloth when you take it off - I replaced one on an old PA just before I got my first melodeon- it was a spectacular warning of what fags might do to the inside of your lungs!
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal