Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lachenal Accordeon  (Read 1602 times)

pgroff

Lachenal Accordeon
« on: July 08, 2018, 06:28:38 PM »

Have we discussed these? So far my search of the forum hasn't turned up a topic.

Example of one that seems to be so labeled:

https://l7.alamy.com/zoomses/b3ypt2/musica-instrumentos-acordeon-modelo-en-hohner-instrumento-concertina-b3ypt2.jpg

Thanks for your insights!

PG

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
Re: Lachenal Accordeon
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 07:18:17 PM »

Would be interesting to see if the insides reflected any lachenal characteristics.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:28:21 PM »

Would be interesting to see if the insides reflected any lachenal characteristics.

Lachenal is a not uncommon name in parts of Germany Switzerland and even the Italian Tyrol area, so it could be just coincidence.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

pgroff

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 04:36:37 PM »

Box in that photo is labeled as made in England . . .

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 02:35:11 AM »

I can't tell from the photo, if the bellows frames are covered in leather or buckram, but the style looks similar to the way the bellow are attached on a late nineteenth century english type Lachenal concertina I own.
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

triskel

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 09:54:46 PM »

Yes, they're by the concertina makers, and have concertina reeds if I remember rightly, but I've only ever seen one of them and that was many years ago and unplayable. But Ruth Askew had one (in her book) that looked like new.

It seems to have been one of several strategies the firm tried in the 1920s/early 1930s, to keep going, faced with the Great Depression and changing musical fashions - so they were also building "Jedcertinas" (piano-fingered concertinas) for J.E.Dallas & Son, and the "Accordeaphone" (a large, square-shaped, celluloid-covered, double-reeded English concertina).

But they still closed down in 1933, becoming incorporated into Wheatstone's in 1934... :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal