Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing straps  (Read 251 times)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Never too old to learn
Replacing straps
« on: July 09, 2018, 09:21:50 PM »

I know a lot of Melnetters are familiar with concertinas, and having bought a cheap East German, 20 button Anglo as a first venture into the instrument, I find the straps uncomfortable, and too tight, too narrow too. They are just pinned into each end of the handle, and are about 10 m/m wide. I'm sure someone on here will have a fix I can try. Thanks in advance.

Sir John
I used to play by ear, but got into dire trouble.
Diarrhoea !

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : Hohner Club II (De-clubbed) D/G : Hagstrom G/C: Hohner Corona IIIR G/C/F :Preciosa Bb/Eb. Hohner 384 1930's Varnished wood G/C: Hohner B/E: Hohner Erika C/F: Bb/Eb Liliput, awaiting restoration.

Tone Dumb Greg

• DG Pokerwork, DG Saltarelle Piroulet, CF Hohner
    • Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Replacing straps
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 10:30:18 PM »

Steve Dickinson (Wheatstone) does a good range of spares

http://www.wheatstone.co.uk/wheatstone/spares-repairs/fittings.htm

His repair work is excellent. But, not cheap.

I'm sure Theo will be along soon with better advice.

Greg Smith
Is not the space between Heaven and Earth like a bellows?
It is empty, but lacks nothing.
The more it moves, the more comes out of it.
Lao Tzu

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:33:10 PM »

Just get some strap leather and cut straps to suit your own hands. It’s not difficult, all you need is a Stanley knife with a new blade.  You could make some cardboard straps first to check for fit and then use as a template.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 10:50:30 PM »

I understand your suspicion of the pin holding the strap. I felt the same and fitted a brass insert to take a machined brass screw, as supplied by Dave. While this is a great solution from a functional and cosmetic point of view, I would probably not do it now, because it's not "authentic". It's actually appropriate for an English, not an Anglo, concertina. Mind you, it works great. It's easy to do on a pillar drill, with an engineering approach and care (easier on a mill if you have access to one).

5/8" Strap screw x 6BA Brass
Strap screw thread plate, 6BA, 5/16" (8mm) dia, 14x5mm
Greg Smith
Lao Tzu

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Never too old to learn
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:10:18 AM »

I understand your suspicion of the pin holding the strap. I felt the same and fitted a brass insert to take a machined brass screw, as supplied by Dave. While this is a great solution from a functional and cosmetic point of view, I would probably not do it now, because it's not "authentic". It's actually appropriate for an English, not an Anglo, concertina. Mind you, it works great. It's easy to do on a pillar drill, with an engineering approach and care (easier on a mill if you have access to one).

Is it just a pin, or is it a nail? Is it hammered in or glued in, and how did you remove it?

SJ
I used to play by ear, but got into dire trouble.
Diarrhoea !

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : Hohner Club II (De-clubbed) D/G : Hagstrom G/C: Hohner Corona IIIR G/C/F :Preciosa Bb/Eb. Hohner 384 1930's Varnished wood G/C: Hohner B/E: Hohner Erika C/F: Bb/Eb Liliput, awaiting restoration.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 11:44:13 AM »

Given the general quality level of German concertinas I think a round head woodscrew and a washer would be entirely appropriate.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 09:22:48 PM »

Is it just a pin, or is it a nail? Is it hammered in or glued in, and how did you remove it?

SJ

It was a long pin. Might have been described as a nail. It was the original fastening on an 1870s Jones. It was a push in pull out jobbie, into the raw wood. It kept falling out.  The replacement was a small, round,  brass plate, threaded for a 6BA brass thumb screw to retain the strap. Great solution if you're not trying to preserve historical accuracy. I milled the recess for it. Could be done on a pillar drill, with care but, I'd think, you'd be on a hiding to nothing with a hand drill. Certainly, I would. It's one to get right. You need a cutter, or whatever with a flat bottom. A very secure way of clamping squared up, without damaging and a way of controlling the plunge depth to within a reasonable tolerance of about 8 thou (0.2ish,maybe a bit more, if you're not fussy). You could do it it with a very experienced eye. Piece of piss for anyone with any engineering experience, but...

I'll get a picture of the completed job.

Greg Smith
Lao Tzu
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.