Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bavarian Zwiefache  (Read 997 times)

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Bavarian Zwiefache
« on: July 10, 2018, 03:07:36 PM »

Servus! (Bavarian for: Hi!)

I thought it might be interesting for us to try out a few "Zwiefache" (pl.).
A "Zwiefacher" (sg.) is a traditional bavarian type of tune in which you have exchanging rhythms with 2/4 and 3/4 notations.
There already have been two topics about this type of music but since I'm playing a few Zwiefache as of late, I thought it might be nice to share those.

I'll make a start and upload two Zwiefache that I've been practicing in the last weeks:
https://soundcloud.com/laubblaeser/oide-kath-take-1
This is a Bavarian tune, called the "Oide Kath" (rough English translation: "Old Kate"), also known as "Boxhamerisch Zwiefacher".

If any one of you fancys trying this type of tune out as well, there is a nice collection available at
https://www.stammtischmusik.at/noten/zwiefache.htm
Fair word of warning though: The website is in German. Simply click through the names of the Zwiefache on the left side and find one that suits you. A lot of those names can be put into the search field of youtube to easily get an idea of the melody. (:)
I'm looking forward to your contributions.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Re: Bavarian Zwiefache
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 03:15:02 PM »

Here comes the other tune:
It is called "Aber 's Wirtshaus" (rough English translation: "But the alehouse").
The text is about a man who is "forced by the alehouse" to drink a beer and he definitely does not want to do all the work he has to do at home like caring for his lifestock.

https://soundcloud.com/laubblaeser/aber-s-wirtshaus

Matthew B

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 06:19:19 PM »

Thanks Fred, those are great.  I have two fiddlers in my house and a couple of years ago we put together a Zwiefacher set of Naglschmied/Schubkarrn/Stalltürl/44 Hühner und ein Hahn.  Listening to your recordings I think we've been playing them a bit too slowly. 

It might be useful to know that clicking on the sheet music displayed for each tune at www.stammtischmusik.at also downloads a midi file. 

A lot of the tunes seem to be in either D or G, which makes them a good fit for many English boxes, and pretty fiddle-friendly as well.  This was a surprise to me, as I'd always assumed that the prevalence of C/F tuned Hohner button-boxes was a response to the keys in which local folk music was written.  Any insights would be most welcome. 

Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 09:58:26 PM »

Matthew, favourite boxes for alpine music in Bavaria are piano accordions and Steirische in GCFBb and BbEbAbDb. A few decades ago three row steirische were used.
Two row boxes nowadays are played for Bal Folk dances - in GC.

Ellisteph

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 11:13:31 PM »

Quote from Fred:
'I'll make a start and upload two Zwiefache that I've been practicing in the last weeks:
https://soundcloud.com/laubblaeser/oide-kath-take-1
This is a Bavarian tune, called the "Oide Kath" (rough English translation: "Old Kate"), also known as "Boxhamerisch Zwiefacher".'

That's really interesting Fred. I almost know this tune from listening to Dave Ball at our sessions in Nantwich. Not too surprising I suppose as Dave is an old hand at running Folkcamps in Germany. You've given me the opportunity to learn this one properly. I'll try to surprise him with this tune next time I see him. Many thanks and well played.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:47:32 AM by Ellisteph »
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal