Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner Club II in unexpected condition  (Read 3069 times)

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Hohner Club II in unexpected condition
« on: July 15, 2018, 04:03:43 PM »

Hi, I've maybe done it again and bid on a Hohner melodeon on eBay... boy, do I like to take risks as it seems! :D

This time around it has indeed been a pretty good catch, I would say. Aside from a few reeds not working on the treble side, I would assess the instrument to be in very good condition. The missing notes I will repair in the long run but for I have to concentrate on other issues (work and the 1-row Hohner I've bought a week earlier...).

So for now, let me share with you a few photos of the piece.

It is by far not a beauty. I really don't understand why people thought it might be a great idea to cover a beautiful wooden instrument with the outside of a bowling ball... but tastes change over time, so let's hope this is an irritation of the past.

It's in C/F.

An original Hohner indeed!

It was manufactured in Frankfurt, Germany - precisely where I bought it from (well, not the manufacturer but the same city).

A simple question about the engravings on the box: It says "D.R.P" on it (as far as I can read it at least), what does that mean?

I'm looking forward to learn the club tuning some day and am also very intrigued to see if I even like it at all - or if I might end up declubbing it altogether. ;)
There's also a short improvisation I've recorded today when fiddling around with the new box.
https://soundcloud.com/laubblaeser/hohner-club-ii-test-and-improvisation
Nothing more to say than: welcome to Fred's melodeon family, dear Club II!  :||:

edit: Image links were broken - fixed now
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 04:05:37 PM by Fred »

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Hohner Club II in unexpected condition
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 08:16:01 PM »

It is by far not a beauty. I really don't understand why people thought it might be a great idea to cover a beautiful wooden instrument with the outside of a bowling ball... but tastes change over time, so let's hope this is an irritation of the past.

To be fair, most Hohners were/are not made of "beautiful" wood (far from it in some cases), but I see where you're coming from. Nice acquisition, whatever you think of the finish.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 08:43:18 PM »

It was manufactured in Frankfurt, Germany - precisely where I bought it from (well, not the manufacturer but the same city).

Much more likely that this was the shop that sold the instrument and it was made in Trossingen. Most boxes of this age from Germany seem to these retailer labels

DRP is the Deutsche Reich Patent the German patent office up to the end of WW2
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 08:49:22 PM by Lester »

Fred

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 10:49:04 PM »

Much more likely that this was the shop that sold the instrument and it was made in Trossingen. Most boxes of this age from Germany seem to these retailer labels

DRP is the Deutsche Reich Patent the German patent office up to the end of WW2

Ah, ok, understood. Thanks for the insight on both things. (:)
Is there a way to find out how old the box is? I take from your knowledge about the DRP that the melodeon is most likely from the 30s or 40s?

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 10:21:13 AM »

The listing from remaining Hohner records say this model was manufactured between 1934 and 1939, although they admit that the records are incomplete and sometimes difficult to interpret!  For example, there is a Club model IIB from the pre-war era and also the current model IIB, similar in specification but totally different case design.  Personally I believe the pre-war Club nmodels were the best they made with the probable exception of the Morino models.

Underneath the celluloid the wooden case can vary from an acceptable base to refinish to a patchwork of bits and pieces looking like they were glued together from bits of old furniture!  The only real problem with celluloid is that it is pretty much impossible to match any pieces that have fallen off.  If it has dulled or is scuffed it can often be polished back up and where an edge piece is missing, you could remove the rest and paint the edge black.

Agreed, the box will have been manufactured in Trossingen.  It was the norm to attach a retailer's plate - free advertising, like they do nowadays with a new car!  I had one which had been sold by a Musikhaus in Adolf Hitler Strasse.

Rob.

Fred

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 11:10:49 AM »

The listing from remaining Hohner records say this model was manufactured between 1934 and 1939

Much appreciated! Thanks for looking it up.
I'm really looking forward to play it a bit more, once I have fixed up the missing notes. If I remember correctly it misses three notes on the pushs and one note on the pull. The rest plays fluidly and on point, it's a delight to dabble around with it.

Fred

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 06:50:56 PM »

Ah yes. The Hohner Club II I've bought a few months ago that still needs fixing... Let's get started with it. Re-valving the reeds will be the first thing to do.

Interestingly, two of the reed plates are fitted upside down. Does anyone know why that is the case? Haven't seen that on the other Hohners that I own.

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 07:01:47 PM »

IMHO if you mean rotated through 180 then  correct or do you mean the h is underneath then thats a reversal not un common on the extreme incidentals. The bowling ball finish has meant they have lasted very well so well made really.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:03:33 PM by folkloristmark »
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 07:35:16 PM »

The reversal gives a faster response on those higher notes, apparently. It is quite normal,and I put them back the same way I found them.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 07:55:16 PM »

Interestingly, two of the reed plates are fitted upside down. Does anyone know why that is the case? Haven't seen that on the other Hohners that I own.

The reversal gives a faster response on those higher notes, apparently. It is quite normal,and I put them back the same way I found them.
SJ

Also, the rotated reed plates do not have valves on (as in your photos). This is also normal and aids the response of the smallest reeds. So don't be tempted to put valves on them - they were never meant to have them.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Richard Shaul

• Good talker
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 08:04:07 PM »

I think that I remember from the Emmanuel Pariselle course that there were tapered blocks of wood in the higher notes to restrict the size of the reed chamber. So it the reeds were the "right" way up the tongues would hit the tapered block.

Fred

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 08:05:19 PM »

SJ

Also, the rotated reed plates do not have valves on (as in your photos). This is also normal and aids the response of the smallest reeds. So don't be tempted to put valves on them - they were never meant to have them.

That is indeed a very valuable piece of information. I would have assumed that they were simply missing but was indeed unsure about putting valves on them because all of the "reversed" reeds have no valves. Thank you :)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 08:27:06 PM »

Same box different grille. Also in excellent condition when I received it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128017090@N06/albums/72157662957859264

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 08:57:28 PM »

My earlier version is still my only box and has been for nearly 3 years ..
I restored it from a tatty state at the end of 2015, had to sell my 3 rows due to carpal tunnel but been enjoying this ever since ..

The original fingerboard was all wood (no celluloid top) but it had broken between the keys pretty bad , though still have it
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:02:10 PM by Adam-T »
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

tirpous

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 10:01:30 PM »

I think that I remember from the Emmanuel Pariselle course that there were tapered blocks of wood in the higher notes to restrict the size of the reed chamber. So it the reeds were the "right" way up the tongues would hit the tapered block.

On Hohners, they often used a kind of putty instead of wood to taper the cavities.  I have a Club II in which one of the 2 reversed reed chambers has a wood block and the other one has putty.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 10:18:31 PM »

General advice - replace things the way you find them, unless it’s glaringly obvious that something has been altered.

More specifically about replacing valves - there are some implications that you need to think on.  There are valves on the inside of the blocks too and that requires removing all the reeds and then the-waxing them all with fresh wax. While you have all the teeds out you might also find it worthwhile tuning all the reeds up today concert pitch 440.  Originally they are tuned to A=435.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 02:17:43 AM »

That is indeed a very valuable piece of information. I would have assumed that they were simply missing but was indeed unsure about putting valves on them because all of the "reversed" reeds have no valves. Thank you :)
Another way of telling whether valves have fallen off and become lost is that there would normally be some glue residue near the rivet where the valves had been affixed. If there were no valves originally, there will be no glue residue.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal