Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BC Basses - another variation  (Read 1343 times)

Andy

• Regular debater
BC Basses - another variation
« on: July 17, 2018, 12:25:30 AM »

Still finding traditional* basses hard going for anything other than keys of C and G. Modern* basses help a bit with the D on the push. I mostly play in G,  D and A so would be prepared to forego the ability to play basses for the key of C, as such the F bass could be changed to an E giving E on the pull as well as the push.

A proposed layout then: As per traditional but with C push , F pull replaced by D push, E pull.

Any thoughts on this welcome.
Better still any experience of having tried something like this?

Thanks

* As defined in keyboard layouts on this forum.

deltasalmon

Re: BC Basses - another variation
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 01:22:25 AM »

The D push is in the Joe Burke layout which is the layout I used for the short time I played B/C. If you haven't looked into it, the Burke layout is pretty good. It has the D push/pull on one set and the G push/pull on the other while still retaining the C/F and E/A pairs. I can't really think of a time when an E pull would be useful, maybe some B minor tunes but take everything I say for granted because I only played B/C for about a year.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 01:26:21 AM »

If I understand your proposed layout correctly, you would have G, D and E in both directions - but each on two different sets of buttons.

On my C#/D I have only one bass in two directions on two different buttons (my A, your G) and I find it a real nuisance whenever I need A in both directions in a tune. I can't imagine having three pairs like that. I think you would be better advised to make them unisonoric. [Cross-posted with deltasalmon, who mentions the Joe Burke layout, which has some unisonoric choices...]

The other thing I would say is, before devising your own bass layout, try to find out whether anybody else has done what you propose, and if not, ask yourself why not. It's too easy, as a relative beginner, to come up with a seemingly smart solution, get it done, and realize its drawbacks afterwards. (I speak from experience.)

deltasalmon

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 01:45:43 AM »

The other thing I would say is, before devising your own bass layout, try to find out whether anybody else has done what you propose [..]

Going on this, this website shows a lot of the more common bass layouts for B/C and C#/D accordions.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

gettabettabox

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 02:05:28 AM »

I think that the modified traditional set-up or the alternative unisonoric type described above are likely to have evolved because they are the best available options within the limitations.
I played around with that particular pair of basses years ago in my very basic B/C days, then went back to C/F, which I didn’t use much, but reflected the C#/D set up that I was moving towards...where that pair was more useful. (ie. D/G on some C#/D instruments)
This is the beauty of Hohners, reasonably cheap instruments with which amateur fettlers can learn about some of the basics of reed tuning...and learning lessons about the most suitable bass/chord combos the hard way!  ;)

JohnS

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 05:46:49 PM »

You need the C chord for the standard I  IV V accompaniment in G major.

I would recommend the Joe Burke layout:
Joe Burke's B/C
(top of instrument)
outside   inside
chord   D/D   E/A
bass   D/D   E/A
chord   G/G   C/F
bass   G/G   C/F

You don't need a pull E as long as you always use the outer row push B over the E chord.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 07:14:06 PM »

You don't need a pull E as long as you always use the outer row push B over the E chord...

... and don't use the outer row pull E either.

From my experiments with B/C fingering, I would think that having a pull E chord would add a lot of flexibility in Em tunes particularly (esp. the common E "minor" tunes in which the third degree, G, features little or not at all), allowing you to play many passages based around E and B on the pull and still add basses.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 07:32:39 PM »

Arguments for having 12 basses maybe ?

J
Old Bones Dance Band

JohnS

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 09:35:56 PM »

E on the pull would be useful but it's not a priority. The Burke layout has nothing that you can dispense with to make room for it.

Once you go to 12 bass then top of the list are:
1. Pull B or maybe bidirectional.
2. Push A.  A major triad is ok as it's all available on the pull but for A minor you've only got C on a push.
3. F# to go with the B.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal