Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another FAKE Hohner on eBay  (Read 3550 times)

triskel

Another FAKE Hohner on eBay
« on: July 26, 2018, 10:05:20 PM »

It seems hondacr500graham is selling boxes that were part of his late father's collection, but this Melodeon accordion one says it's a Hohner (though the seller doesn't make that claim for it), only it looks like it's a Klingenthal product. Now Hohner did use to sell some instruments from Galotta (I have a 1981 catalogue showing them, though not this exact model) but they didn't have the Hohner name on them, whilst the lettering looks stick-on with poor spacing...

Caveat emptor! ::)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

triskel

Re: Another FAKE Hohner on eBay
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 12:40:57 PM »

And a joke fake?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hohner-Small-Accordion-17-key-8-bass-ideal-for-Amateur-child/173432238749?hash=item28615df29d:g:dQEAAOSw-8BbWcMd

I have a horrible suspicion that toy PA may be genuine Edward. After all, they seem to have no qualms about putting the Hohner name onto the little 7-key, Chanson-style, Chinese toy "melodeons" these days... :(

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 03:03:01 PM »

And a joke fake?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hohner-Small-Accordion-17-key-8-bass-ideal-for-Amateur-child/173432238749?hash=item28615df29d:g:dQEAAOSw-8BbWcMd

I have a horrible suspicion that toy PA may be genuine Edward. After all, they seem to have no qualms about putting the Hohner name onto the little 7-key, Chanson-style, Chinese toy "melodeons" these days... :(

I just asked the seller why he was selling and how long he'd had it (wondering if it would suit my friend Kath, who wants to dance and play). Got a plausible but rather sad answer.  "Only 4 year old. Bought for myself for a xmas present but unfortunately I developed arthritis in my hands so can't play it."
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 08:58:27 PM »

Yep, it's a toy - a genuine toy and at about the right price for a toy too.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

triskel

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 09:22:13 PM »

I just asked the seller why he was selling and how long he'd had it ... Got a plausible but rather sad answer.  "Only 4 year old. Bought for myself for a xmas present but unfortunately I developed arthritis in my hands so can't play it."

That sounds all-too-familiar at the moment I'm afraid - I'm currently selling the beautiful, perfect, vintage American Vega guitar that I've had for 40 years, because I can no longer bend my left index finger round far enough to play it. :'(

But it's not a problem with the box or concertina... :Ph :D :||:

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 01:30:51 AM »

Toys are all very well and have their place, but I get very annoyed when I see them fraudulently passed off as 'Hohner' with fake stick-on letters like this one.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

triskel

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 12:11:45 PM »

Here are those Hohner toy piano accordions for sale new by Pro Music Australia: http://www.promusicaustralia.com/other/HOHNImages/97413_KIDS_ACC.jpg

Quote from: Pro Music Australia
Accordions For Kids

This amazing Hohner 17 key (8 Bass) mini accordion is designed for kids to play and learn,
ideal for first beginner steps and introduction to music,
it features a pearloid red finishes comes complete
with a strap and custom backpack style bag.

97413 Hohner Kids 17 key Accordion with Backpack Style Bag
Red Pearloid Finish $89.95

Whilst Hohner are also marketing the toy button accordion with their name on it, though now under their new "HOHNER® Kids" brand: http://hohnerkids.com/shop/products/school-age-6-to-9-years/toy-accordion/

triskel

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 12:42:24 PM »

But the eBay Galotta box with stick-on "HOHNER" lettering, which I initiated the thread about, is still a fake Hohner that could mislead the unwary...

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 01:34:27 PM »

It's awful! I know that I've previously excused some sales listings when it seems that the Hohner name has possibly been used in the generic sense (i.e. it's an accordion, therefore it's a Hohner, just as a vacuum cleaner is a Hoover, to some people) but when you use stick-on letters to mislead..........it's beyond a joke!
Don't eBay and the others keep a lookout for these things?

triskel

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 01:49:55 PM »

It's awful! I know that I've previously excused some sales listings when it seems that the Hohner name has possibly been used in the generic sense (i.e. it's an accordion, therefore it's a Hohner, just as a vacuum cleaner is a Hoover, to some people) but when you use stick-on letters to mislead..........it's beyond a joke!

In this particular case I'd speculate the lettering has been on the box a long time, and may even have originally been a "joke" of sorts by the seller's late father when he owned it.

Don't eBay and the others keep a lookout for these things?

How would eBay know? WE are "the others"...

(I love the 2001 film of that name by the way, and where else would you get Eric Sykes and Nicole Kidman together?)

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 03:00:48 PM »

Toys are all very well and have their place, but I get very annoyed when I see them fraudulently passed off as 'Hohner' with fake stick-on letters like this one.

Agreed about fakes but TBH I'm not sure this is one - I have certainly seen 'Hohner' toy PAs for sale on festival stands that look very much like this one.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 03:26:07 PM »

It seems possible this is genuine. The only thing I find odd is that I am struggling to find them new with a logo like this. Is that just because it's a discontinued model?

Just out of interest, how did you find the example you posted Triskel? I can find lots of 17 button accordions but none with Hohner lettered on them. I can't get anything like it to display on the Pro Music site either.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

triskel

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 05:00:55 PM »

It seems possible this is genuine.

The piano accordion? Yes, it is.

The only thing I find odd is that I am struggling to find them new with a logo like this. Is that just because it's a discontinued model?

Probably. It seems it would be branded "HOHNER® Kids" if they were still offering it.

Just out of interest, how did you find the example you posted Triskel? I can find lots of 17 button accordions but none with Hohner lettered on them.

I found it through a Bing image search.

I can't get anything like it to display on the Pro Music site either.

If you scroll down the page that comes up when you click on my Pro Music Australia link you'll come to the Accordions For Kids listing that I quoted. Click on the stock number 97413 there and it will take you to the photo.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 05:48:37 PM »

Whatever!

Whether Hohner have debased their brand by allowing these particular toys to bear the Hohner name is entirely up to them. Nevertheless, they aren't Hohner manufactured, surely? They're exactly the same as those articles (button types as well) which are all over eBay etc, like a rash, and are sold with a thousand different names stuck on them.
If it's not dishonest, it is certainly immoral! (In my view.)

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 06:06:37 PM »

Re-badging products has been around for donkeys' years. Lots of generic Chinese melodeons, accordeons and concertinas, not to mention other instruments, around with anybody's name on them.

I seem to recall seeing some where the minimum order quantity was ten to get your own "brand" on them. Hohner now and Hohner then are different businesses.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2018, 06:18:58 PM »

"minimum order quantity was ten to get your own "brand" on them."

Yes Malcolm, I'd seen that too! Re-badging is and has been prevalent in the motor car world for long enough, as well. But with melodeons I've seen 1 rows go for £16 without "Scarlatti" name stickers on, and for sale for £300 with! It's just a big con-trick, which I'd hoped a company like Hohner would have had more integrity than to get involved with. Wrong again, Edward!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2018, 09:29:23 PM »

If you scroll down the page that comes up when you click on my Pro Music Australia link you'll come to the Accordions For Kids listing that I quoted. Click on the stock number 97413 there and it will take you to the photo.

Thanks. Got it. I was trying to use what looked like a link higher up.  "Hohner Kids Accordions (Red Pearl Finish)". Must be old stock.
It's a pity they don't have a few more keys. They would be a lot more useful if they did.
Greg Smith

triskel

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 11:32:58 PM »

It's a pity they don't have a few more keys. They would be a lot more useful if they did.

They'd probably cost significantly more than AUS $89.95 (£50.75, or €56.95) if they did though... :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal