Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidmouth FW 2018  (Read 4274 times)

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
Sidmouth FW 2018
« on: August 01, 2018, 10:55:50 AM »

Well chaps, Sidders is almost upon us once more.  What a wealth of squeezy joy we have to look forward to - melodeon workshops for all levels, Ed REnnie's Absolute Beginners, Relative Beginners with Bob Ellis, Improvers with Paul Scourfield through to Saul's Melodeon Masterclass. I think I also saw a workshop on playing melodeon for song accompaniment from Pete Coe somewhere in the programme.

Added to this the many sessions,  again Bob with 'Well Known Tunes at a Steady Pace', the Loose Knit Band Rugby Club sessions which are an established part of the festival fringe and the many, many sessions in the Swan, the Volunteer and Radway.

I don't *think* anyone has organised a melnet meet this year (and no, I'm not volunteering) but I will probably see lots of you around the town. Planning on attending Saul's Melodeon Masterclass and will doubtless be in the Radway for a tune or two at lunchtimes.

Bring it on  (:) :|||:

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:04:12 PM by Helena Handcart »
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
Re: Sidmouth FW 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 02:31:15 PM »

I should be there on just the Sunday again this year, so, anyone who recognises me/'also recognised me last year but wasn't sure' should feel free to come and say hi. I'm much less verbose in real life, I swear!

Anonymous Morris couldn't raise a side, but I'll probably pop down to the Esplanade to chat with friends in other sides, and then move to the instrument dealer tents where if it's like last year, my husband and I will stay for around 5 hours until they kick us out, and then we'll go looking for a vaguely English tune session where we won't embarrass ourselves too much. It's only our second year going to the festival, so we don't know our way around very well, so tips on where to go are very welcome, as everyone tends to disappear into pubs and concerts. Can't stay later than 10 pm though, due to getting a lift home.

At any rate, hope to meet as many of you there as possible.

jonm

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 02:51:48 PM »

What sort of skill level is required for the Saul Rose masterclass, do you think?
Castagnari Mory and Giordy D/G, Hohner Erica, four-stop in G, two-stop in G

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 03:28:32 PM »

What sort of skill level is required for the Saul Rose masterclass, do you think?

It's pretty advanced - at least that's what Saul said last year. Quite often actually :)  Some bits were heavy going, most of it I could do, some needed later work at home.  The number of attendees dwindled markedly over the course of the three days. That said I could do with a buddy to go with - Colin is going to improvers this year.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 03:30:24 PM »

I should be there on just the Sunday again this year, so, anyone who recognises me/'also recognised me last year but wasn't sure' should feel free to come and say hi. I'm much less verbose in real life, I swear!

Anonymous Morris couldn't raise a side, but I'll probably pop down to the Esplanade to chat with friends in other sides, and then move to the instrument dealer tents where if it's like last year, my husband and I will stay for around 5 hours until they kick us out, and then we'll go looking for a vaguely English tune session where we won't embarrass ourselves too much. It's only our second year going to the festival, so we don't know our way around very well, so tips on where to go are very welcome, as everyone tends to disappear into pubs and concerts. Can't stay later than 10 pm though, due to getting a lift home.

At any rate, hope to meet as many of you there as possible.

Hi Gena,

If you're looking for a friendly session for the evening check out the Rugby Club (lower bar, not the 'official' rugby club session).  This is run by the Loose Knit Band, it is part of the fringe festival and its free and friendly. I guess I'll see you in the music tent (again).

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 04:00:54 PM »

If you're looking for a friendly session for the evening check out the Rugby Club (lower bar, not the 'official' rugby club session).  This is run by the Loose Knit Band, it is part of the fringe festival and its free and friendly. I guess I'll see you in the music tent (again).

That sounds perfect, thanks! See you at the tents!

jonm

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 04:05:22 PM »

It's pretty advanced - at least that's what Saul said last year. Quite often actually :)  Some bits were heavy going, most of it I could do, some needed later work at home.  The number of attendees dwindled markedly over the course of the three days. That said I could do with a buddy to go with - Colin is going to improvers this year.

Thanks, now somewhat trepidacious. I'll give the first one a go and see...
Castagnari Mory and Giordy D/G, Hohner Erica, four-stop in G, two-stop in G

quazza

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »

Looking forward to seeing you over the week, H. I'll be banging a really loud drum with Chiltern Hundreds Clog for much of the week.

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 07:33:16 PM »

I’ll be about all week, starting Thursday tmw, playing box for Sidmouth Steppers and also Otter Border Morris on Monday evening on The Esplanade.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 07:45:59 PM »

I plan to be there on Sunday, just as me - no Morris. I will look out for the usual faces in the usual places :-)
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 08:00:07 PM »

PS Heads up. I would highly recommend Police Dog Hogan on at Bulverton on Saturday Evening (about 9.00 pm according to programme). They are fabulous mixture of American Bluegrass and West Country humour. I saw them at Abbotsbury a few weeks ago and I reckon they stole the show from Show of Hands.

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 02:43:22 PM »

A late response, just back from Sidmouth - I very much enjoyed the playing and singing of Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne who I saw showcase his debut CD Outway Songster. at the Woodlands Hotel Thursday last.  Great melodeon and concertina playing backing up a good voice.  Worth catching (if you haven't already!). I had to buy the CD - I rarely do that on first hearing.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 02:58:52 PM »

Cohen must have done well with his CD showcase, because when he came to the free reed concert at the Bedford on Thursday night he had about 3 left, which must have all gone at the concert.

Definitely worth hearing, a good singer, excellent melodeon player and his Anglo concertina playing is simply the best I've ever heard.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

robotmay

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 03:33:33 PM »

I saw Cohen play back at the Upton Folk Festival and it was probably my favourite solo show that I've ever seen. Very entertaining and he does a great job of varying the sound, which is something a lot of solo performers lack.

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 08:42:08 PM »

Cohen has certainly come on a long way since I 1st encountered him as the quiet young lad with funny hair sat next to me in a workshop at SFW not many years ago. Even then, he was obviously talented. A general theme this year at Sidmouth was the emergence of the next generation, what with Paul Sarten having not one but two very talented sons on stage. Also, Ed Rennie’s lad seen in a band. I bodes well for the future of folk music.

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 10:52:15 AM »

More than well Anahata! Your comments sum up my impressions well, his range and choice of material is great. I'll be on his website to see where I can catch him next, no doubt he sells CD's on line as well.

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 01:20:26 PM »

The influx of young talent was very obvious this year , I saw it at the Royal York and Falkner evening session which is now very much changed - I think the older generation has to find another venue and allow the natural evolution to take over. The young bands running the sessions were trying hard to find someone to sing between tunes - and it would be kinder to let it just be a music session - 8 till 11 each evening.

There is a big resurgence in musicality in the last decades - very handy for me who can't make dots into a tune - just find someone with an instrument case who seems at a loose end ask for a translation. Mind you - having heard it I can then start to play it - which does sometimes get me hard looks - but we all have our different talents.
Barcarole D/G
Hohner Ericas D/G and C/F
Hohner el Rey del Vallenato A/D/G aka 'Elvis'
Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb club layout
Meinel & Herold G C F 3 voice 3 row 16 bass

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »

It was good to catch up with so many melnetters amongst the friends at Sidmouth - and to meet a couple more too.  A particular highlight for me was Saul's melodeon masterclass workshops.  I have just been writing up my notes from workshop three and musing that the workshops didn't seem half so hard as last year - then I realised, that must mean I'm getting better  :|||:

Three cracking Whapweasel tunes to stretch our brains and fingers. I'm currently working on the third tune - 'Pack of Jokers' - which I think may end up in a set with 'Herbert the Sherbet' and 'The RSB' or maybe 'Jiggery Pokerwork'.  Great times... next stop Towersey where I will be working with Ed Rennie in the children's festival teaching 'Squeezeboxes from Scratch' to the young 'uns. Hope to catch up with some of you over the weekend.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 12:35:58 AM »

Was sad that I didn't manage to bump into you Helena, and, I never did make it to that session: my husband and I ended up sitting up on the big hill out to the east of town to watch the sunset and play a bit of music in the peace and quiet, after a busy day of pestering the Squeezeboxes stall.

No Black Diamond Accordions stall there this year.

I think I'm going to have to figure out how to get to some of those workshops, because currently I'm really sort of a weekend warrior in terms of festival attendance, and I suspect could use the experience.

There was a mini melodeons workshop for kids at Wimborne Folk Festival this year run by Folk Active, where some children were taught some basics with those little toy melodeons (I bought my own, just to join and see, technically that was my first melodeon workshop!). I think at least 3 of them broke the first half of the session before we had to leave (mostly straps breaking off) - I wish there were better choices for them to use. I'm not sure what yourselves and Ed Rennie will be using, but I do hope it's not those... all the best with it though, and possibly see you at Swanage.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 08:30:19 AM »

I made the mistake of only going to Sidmouth for a couple of days, and missed out on Saul's workshops unfortunately (but given the amount of workshop time I've had this year I can't complain too much !)
Two days is nothing like enough to take advantage of the huge range of workshops, concerts, dances etc and still have enough time to see old and new friends, covet new instruments,drop in to as many sessions as possible and prop up a few bars. Oh, and be inspired by great players and extend the list of tunes to learn (btw what other tunes did Saul introduce, Helena ?). Might be an exhausting and expensive experience, Sidmouth Folk Week, but it's well worth it- though I would like there to be a French/Breton session...a definite gap.
And I'm still wondering about getting to Whitby next year - which I'm sure would make for an interesting comparison... all the best to everyone there next week - I'm sure it'll be great !

J
Old Bones Dance Band
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal