Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discovery  (Read 1428 times)

Jackaspandy

• Good talker
Discovery
« on: August 05, 2018, 04:45:21 PM »

It was too hot to sleep last night so i got up at 5:00 AM. Well i waited until 7:00 and then picked up my box. It was Sunday morning so i tried to play as quietly as i could. I have been trying to get the tune Old man and the old woman up to speed and have not managed it. Until this morning - playing quietly has definitely helped me up the tempo and i think i will employ the same tactic in future.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Discovery
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 05:49:10 PM »

Until this morning - playing quietly has definitely helped me up the tempo and i think i will employ the same tactic in future.

A discovery that benefits everyone!  (:) Perhaps practising early in the morning (as opposed to when tired at night) might also have helped?

What is the tune you are referring to, btw?

Matthew B

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 06:32:14 PM »

. . . the tune Old man and the old woman . . .

I'm guessing it's "The Grumbling Old Man and the Growling Old Woman".  It shows up quite a lot around my way at contra dances and sessions, but I think it may originally have come from up in your neck of the woods, Stiamh.  ABCs, score and recordings are pretty easy to find.  If I recall there's a very nice Sharon Shanon version on one of her albums, perhaps in a set with "The Mouth of the Tobique".
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:03:39 PM »

I like to practice in the morning. First thing is not that early at the weekend, as I'm up before 6am on workdays!
I find having a good practice early is great, not thinking about anything else, clear head etc. My only problem recently is that our conservatory faces east, and in this summer's hot weather I get too hot too early...... I find mornings the best time.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Maggie

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 10:27:39 PM »

I am an early morning player too!  Not being a great sleeper, I come downstairs at 5 - 6 in the morning and practise away cheerfully for an hour or so until my husband descends, then we start the normal morning ritual of coffee etc.
It is a well-established routine now and means that I have a decent amount of time for practice, even ‘though my day is often busy.
Some folk say that it is good to learn in the evening, but I find the morning works for me - and playing fairly quietly does help me to concentrate on my technique.
Maggie  :|||:
Saltarelle l'elfique 19+2 in G/C - and a wee Hohner Lilliput in D/G

La Creuse, France - the land of calm and of brillant traditional music 🎶

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 07:14:26 AM »

...ABCs, score and recordings are pretty easy to find...
ABC version on the melnet big abc file plus a slightly differently titled version. Also on
Dominique Renaudin's Quebecois page: http://domren.free.fr/ABC.htm, and (I think)  on
one of Alf Warnock's pages. They're all different - I like the Quebecois version myself, but
so far, I can't play it at any time of day...

R
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 07:19:57 AM by lachenal74693 »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal