Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Android and Windows  (Read 5178 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Android and Windows
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 09:19:13 AM »

I just repeated my little experiment with another tune, and I see that there is a I:linebreak $
line in the headers of ABC code generated from the .xml file. In this particular instance however,
the $ was not used in the generated ABC.

...and I just looked up the I: header in the ABC standard v2.1 and found that is a legitimate way to indicate how you are going to do line endings. You can also specify '!' but it's only intended for compatibilty with old code written for ABC2WIN. (None of which I knew, or I'd forgotten it. A day without learning etc...)
Line breaks in the code for line breaks in the score are still the standard way to do it (with \ for continuation lines where needed.)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 06:14:03 AM »

...and I just looked up the I: header in the ABC standard v2.1 and found that is a legitimate way to indicate how you are going to do line endings. You can also specify '!' but it's only intended for compatibilty with old code written for ABC2WIN. (None of which I knew, or I'd forgotten it. A day without learning etc...)
Line breaks in the code for line breaks in the score are still the standard way to do it (with \ for continuation lines where needed.)

And, I guess that I ended up with so many scripts with end-of-line '!'s because I downloaded many old
ABC2WIN files, and got suckered into thinking this was the 'correct' way to do it. I'll slowly ditch the
end-of-line '!'s...
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Richard Shaul

• Good talker
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2018, 12:51:34 PM »

Hi, thanks for all the responses. I have now settled on EasyABC on my PC and Tradmusician on Android. The next problem was sharing files between the two. On PC I can sync files with Google Drive, but I would then have to manually copy from Drive to a directory on the Android tablet to use offline. Recently I have found an app called Foldersync, which, as the name implies, can automatically sync between drive (or other cloud locations) and  a local directory.

There is probably many other ways of doing this, but this seems to work well for me.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2018, 12:57:41 PM »

I use Dropbox mainly as I have a 1Tb contract for the Sainted Mrs Bailey's photography backup.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »

Yes I use Dropbox, the bog standard free one is sufficient for my abc use.
I usually notate on pc then pick it up via Dropbox on my iPad and Android phone.
Helena of this parish saves her abc files in Dropbox, thereby any amendments will be made available to all devices instantly. Cunning!
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2019, 07:29:10 PM »

Yes I use Dropbox, the bog standard free one is sufficient for my abc use.
I usually notate on pc then pick it up via Dropbox on my iPad and Android phone.
Helena of this parish saves her abc files in Dropbox, thereby any amendments will be made available to all devices instantly. Cunning!
Cheers
Q

Sorry to hearken back, but I just got my first Android phone (the smartest phone I had before that was good for ringing people up on...) and this seemed to be the most helpful thread when I looked for ABC advice.

If I go down the Tradmusician route with all files stored in dropbox, can I be confident that my abc library won't disappear when they decide to change the rules. I have heard that this can happen.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2019, 07:41:48 PM »

If I go down the Tradmusician route with all files stored in dropbox, can I be confident that my abc library won't disappear when they decide to change the rules. I have heard that this can happen.

Of course there is no guarantee that Dropbox/google/Android/Tradmusician wont change/disappear but I have been using the combination for years now seamlessly. So pay pays your money and you take your choice.

ps Dropbox only copies your files into 'the cloud' the originals remain on your PC which you will be backing up regularly, won't you.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2019, 08:00:57 PM »

I've used Dropbox and Tradmusician for a few years now and can't fault it. As Lester says, your original files should be on your pc anyway.
I think it's as safe as anything can be in this cyber world.
Also as a general thing, once you have a smart phone and get into using it, you will wonder how you got on without one!
Good luck with it!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2019, 10:12:32 PM »

So I'm right in thinking that I need to copy my dropbox files back to the other device if I want the most up to date versions to be available. I'm don't mean to sound slow, but to me, that negates the purpose of storing an abc library on dropbox.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2019, 10:21:48 PM »

So I'm right in thinking that I need to copy my dropbox files back to the other device if I want the most up to date versions to be available. I'm don't mean to sound slow, but to me, that negates the purpose of storing an abc library on dropbox.

On my computers various I run Dropbox in the background and thus any changes (too files held in the Dropbox folder or in symbolically linked folders) are copied as they are made to the cloud and are therefore ready when they are opened on any of my computers.
On my phone I select certain files - tune lists/set lists/abc files/etc to be held OFFLINE, all that is needed then is to periodically open the Dropbox app and it syncs the files

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2019, 10:26:18 PM »

On my computers various I run Dropbox in the background and thus any changes (too files held in the Dropbox folder or in symbolically linked folders) are copied as they are made to the cloud and are therefore ready when they are opened on any of my computers.
On my phone I select certain files - tune lists/set lists/abc files/etc to be held OFFLINE, all that is needed then is to periodically open the Dropbox app and it syncs the files

Ok...I think I'm starting to get it. Mind you, I'm still trying to get the dropbox app to install on the android. Google is being nasty to me.
Greg Smith

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal